Talk

Advanced search

Career retraining advice

(9 Posts)
WhereToFindAnswers Wed 18-Oct-17 13:53:07

For db. Have nc.

Have been impressed with the knowledge on similar threads so hoping to find someone who can advise.

Db is fed up and over worked. Does a job involving doing finance calculations, percentages, ratio calculations. He has strong sales skills and team management skills but is fed up of both those aspects and wants to find a career that can earn more/be more flexible.

Very strong skills in numerical reasoning, numerical analysis, strong in verbal reasoning. 2.2 in history from a poor uni (due to circumstances mostly- we grew up in care) but scored 1sts in modules in computing and business and would have switched if it wasn't for our bio m's detructive influence.

Keen to look into masters, but may need to do some form of 'access' qualification. Really need to do this distance learning, could look into being out of work to do a promising masters for a year perhaps but needs to be sure it's worth it. Looking for something to build on work experience but that makes better use of his skills.

Hope i'm not being to unreasonable asking here, i allways feel like we are slightly out of the loop having grown up in residential schools, like there is a secret answer to understanding educational options us LAC kids are not privey too. Also, is there a way of search all uni's online courses and comparing or will he have to look individually. Thanks to anyone who reads this.

bluedemilune Wed 18-Oct-17 13:57:47

If he’s interested in masters his having several years experience in industry/work may well make up for a less than stellar first degree. Especially if he has good references and his career was relevant to masters being applied for. iv Heard of Russell group universities that have relaxed academic requirements if work and/or industrial experience is continuous and academically relevant enough. Good luck

MojoMoon Wed 18-Oct-17 14:09:07

www.findamasters.com/masters-degrees/?Keywords=computer+science+conversion+course

Have a look into computing conversion masters in the link above.

Please don't be put off by those that say "good undergraduate degree" - relevant work experience counts as well!

I am doing a masters in economics at a top uni at the moment that says you need maths/economics/engineering undergraduate degree or relevant work experience. I got in with a arts degree but have relevant work experience and keeping up (with some hard work). So his professional experience is good and he could do some free online study (Coursera, EdX are both good) in computer science to show his enthusiasm in his application form

Also he should be proud of what he has achieved because, as I am sure you are aware, kids in care often struggle. So if he feels comfortable sharing it, he should. universities are increasingly aware of widening participation issues and care back grounds.

WhereToFindAnswers Wed 18-Oct-17 14:14:19

Thanks i will encourage him to look. He isn't comfortable sharing it, he thinks people see residential school as =bad, bad kid, especially as he's male.

With computing would he have to start at the bottom career wise? I think he is keen to have his employment experience give him a leg up in any graduate job (maybe unreasonable i know but i think as he has alot of managment experience he's not overly tolerant of poor managers and he has a disabled child to provide for so can't afford to start on junior wages if that makes sence).

MojoMoon Wed 18-Oct-17 15:17:42

Well, junior wages for a good computer programmer can be pretty high!
But people management skills can be in short supply in the tech industry so if he is good with managing teams etc, he could be going in at a higher level

He needs to make sure he gets a high level of competency in a few useful computing languages so go for whatever course and extra study that will provide that.

He should choose the most prestigious university he can - the name still matters even if that might not be justified. And have a good portfolio of his coding work to show employers.

WhereToFindAnswers Wed 18-Oct-17 19:15:04

Thank you.

QueenMorpheacadoChamelepen Wed 18-Oct-17 19:23:14

He shouldn't have a problem getting onto the open university computing masters.

WhereToFindAnswers Wed 18-Oct-17 19:26:29

So is it only computing he shpuld look into or is there anything else he strengths would suit?

MojoMoon Thu 19-Oct-17 15:38:26

Good programmers can be quite flexible and it is well paid so that seems a good bet.

He should start with some self learning of something like python. If he likes it, he should build something and then use it as an example of his skills either for applications to uni or just to apply straight to jobs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now