Talk

Advanced search

To be a bit annoyed that the staff who aren't entitled to sick pay get away with being off sick more?

(15 Posts)
tryscar Wed 18-Oct-17 13:50:53

To be a bit annoyed that the staff who aren't entitled to sick pay get away with being off sick more?

A lot of the youngsters don't do enough hours/earn enough to be entitled to sick pay and the store manager doesn't seem to be going through the disciplinary actions at all.

However, there's a couple of us oldest ones who work full time the store manager always follows it with us.

How is that fair?

RainbowPastel Wed 18-Oct-17 13:52:39

They aren't costing the company any money whereas you are.

You get paid when you're sick; they don't.

waterrat Wed 18-Oct-17 13:54:46

wow - having been casual staff myself for many years I know the stress of not being paid for being off sick.

It's fair because the company is not losing any money for thme being sick.

They have shit contracts, no security, aren't getting holiday or sick pay and you resent them? you must really hate your job. Maybe focus on finding one you enjoy more.

tryscar Wed 18-Oct-17 13:58:09

Don't get holiday? What? They get 6 weeks of holiday a year hmm

They are usually off because they have drunk too much. I think that's unfair. I do.

SandyDenny Wed 18-Oct-17 13:59:13

Who does the work of the young ones when they are off sick?

tryscar Wed 18-Oct-17 13:59:47

Myself. I have double the work to do. I have every right for it to annoy me.

ihatethecold Wed 18-Oct-17 14:06:20

Do they have a contract?

dontquotem3 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:09:13

I am in this predicament right now. I am at risk of losing the roof over mine and my children's heads. And no, I don't drink.
Do I count OP?

wheresmyphone Wed 18-Oct-17 14:09:16

In my last job slowly got rid of all the youngsters in favour of middle aged part time mothers. Productivity went through the roof! Very few sick days. They worked compressed and flexible hours, often from home. Never lost a member of staff to a competitor. All our clients were delighted.

tryscar Wed 18-Oct-17 14:12:26

Yes they do have a contract. This is a large company. I'm specifically talking about the youngsters who come in and talk to each other about their "wild" nights and how they couldn't get into work last week because of it and how "John doesn't care" (obviously not the store manager's name)

wheresmyphone Wed 18-Oct-17 14:12:33

Should have explained better: I didn't fire anyone; just was very open to people wanting part time flex roles and got brilliantly well qualified candidates.

FuzzyOwl Wed 18-Oct-17 14:15:06

The issue here is not that the staff who don't get sick pay get away with it but that your store manager isn't being fair regarding disciplinary procedures. Your company should have a sickness policy that is followed by everyone regardless of their sick pay.

SonicBoomBoom Wed 18-Oct-17 14:15:10

But they don't get paid though, whereas you do.

I'm sure if you wanted to forgo your sick pay then you could call in sick with a hangover too. Would you prefer that?

Glumglowworm Wed 18-Oct-17 14:22:32

They get away with it because it's not costing the company anything, obviously

Your real issue is that you end up doing double work because of it. So when you complain to manager, focus on that not that they "get away with it".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now