Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to return a dress i bought to get it for a lower price?

(36 Posts)
shinyredbus Tue 17-Oct-17 23:03:40

I bought a dress two days ago and I've just had an email telling me the price has dropped by about 50 pounds! Would it be really bad if i returned it and re-ordered the same dress?

HurricaneOphelia Tue 17-Oct-17 23:11:22

No, but you'd take the very real risk of it no longer being available in your size. Usually prices are only reduced when the popular sizes are all gone. I'd order the new one first, then return the first one.

I say this as someone who was made redundant when the business I worked for closed down because customers regularly did this sort of thing (or ordered 5-6 items with free shipping, returning everything except maybe the cheapest one). It's a tough world out there. Everyone else does it, so you may as well sad

HouseworkIsAPain Tue 17-Oct-17 23:21:03

I would return - why wouldn’t you save yourself £50? So long as it’s still new (unworn) of course

Longdistance Tue 17-Oct-17 23:23:34

Order the cheaper one.

Send back the one you have with receipt to get your money back.

shinyredbus Tue 17-Oct-17 23:23:35

Thanks ladies - i guess i just feel a bit bad for the company, as I'm returning it to get the lower price - ive only just had a look at it today (arrived today) so no damage etc.

gobbynorthernbird Tue 17-Oct-17 23:24:07

It may be worth emailing customer services and seeing if they'll refund the difference.

Bubbinsmakesthree Tue 17-Oct-17 23:25:14

As long as the original is still unworn then absolutely, why wouldn't you?

CoughLaughFart Tue 17-Oct-17 23:30:31

Order the new one first and then return the full price one. If they can afford to knock £50 off the price tomorrow, they could have afforded to sell it at that price yesterday.

halesie Tue 17-Oct-17 23:43:08

Yup order new one first, return the second. I started doing this with one high st co as they have no offers for ages then hey presto STRAIGHT AFTER I place an order they decide I can have a discount. Really winds me up!

Some companies are fine with it though. Years ago I bought sth in Gap then saw it cheaper a couple of weeks later. Staff said to bring in the receipt and they'd refund the difference - store policy was if it's cheaper within 30 days they'll refund the difference. Idk if it's still the case but it's awesome!

nancy75 Tue 17-Oct-17 23:44:19

As long as you haven’t worn it, people do it all the time when the sales start

Ukelou Tue 17-Oct-17 23:59:46

I work in a shop i was on the order collection desk a customer came in to collect a large order all the stuff had gone in the sale i refunded and resold no problem. I think most people who work in shops sort of mentally have a time limit (about a week) if it goes in the sale within a week of purchase we think its totally fair to return and re buy.

FoodGloriousFud Wed 18-Oct-17 03:41:27

I disagree, the retail company I work for has sales related bonus. Our staff (60+) have all lost out on a months bonus as a customer did this, 30 mins before closing on bonus cut off day... All to save £40!

RavingRoo Wed 18-Oct-17 06:01:53

John lewis and Hobbs have sent me vouchers for the difference when I’ve complained. Other companies might.

user1480334601 Wed 18-Oct-17 06:15:44

Some shops policy is they'll only refund you the current price for item. I'd check this before returning to be safe

Tatiannatomasina Wed 18-Oct-17 06:16:20

This happened to me with a coat from mint velvet. I emailed them straight away and they sent me a refund of the difference 😀

KoalaD Wed 18-Oct-17 06:19:14

Food, I don't really understand that, but regardless - how is it the customer's fault? confused

Go for it, OP. You'd be mad not to.

FakePlasticTeaLeaves Wed 18-Oct-17 06:26:49

Food - were you making a joke? Very odd comment.

isitme88 Wed 18-Oct-17 06:29:19

I always do this. But I order the lower priced one first and then send the original back. I wouldn't feel bad on the company

isitme88 Wed 18-Oct-17 06:31:02

Well yes food, as an individual customer, I would return and re buy an item something to save £40.
How would I know about a staff bonus. I would see the price had been dropped and want the bargain.

Bubblebubblepop Wed 18-Oct-17 06:31:05

I also thought they only refunded the current price?

WhatwouldAryado Wed 18-Oct-17 06:36:59

Being made redundant isn't because of some returned clothes! The business was managed pretty badly if their prices were either too over inflated to not attract enough sales OR they were using sale prices that would then not cover overheads as routine.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 18-Oct-17 06:40:38

The policies I've seen where you only get current price back are when you don't have your receipt (so can't demonstrate price paid).

Return it op. I did it with my wedding shoes.

TangledUp07 Wed 18-Oct-17 07:03:31

I disagree, the retail company I work for has sales related bonus. Our staff (60+) have all lost out on a months bonus as a customer did this, 30 mins before closing on bonus cut off day... All to save £40!

You must be a very generous person if you would give up £40 just to see a load of random shop staff you don't know get their monthly bonus. I meanwhile couldn't care less, I'd take my £40 every time. Charity starts at home and all of that...

SummatFishyEre Wed 18-Oct-17 07:06:28

£40 could be a lot of money to that person. Your bonus is not the customers problem.

Urubu Wed 18-Oct-17 07:06:49

Go ahead OP

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: