Talk

Advanced search

To ring 111 or OOH?

(7 Posts)
EmbarrassingTroubles Tue 17-Oct-17 21:45:00

I've had horrendous headache since Friday on one side, gp said yesterday probably sinus related but go a&e if no better. Normally I'd just see how it goes and avoid wasting nhs time (and being made to feel like a hyperchondriac!) But I've a small stomach op next Tues that requires a general anesthetic that I've been waiting for ages and don't want this headache to get worse or it to turn into anything else.
What would you do?

Lukeandlorelai4Ever Tue 17-Oct-17 21:45:43

Ring 111

retirednow Tue 17-Oct-17 21:48:31

did the GP prescribe any treatment or suggest you have an xray? I'd go back to see my GP, I guess the hospital should know about being unwell if you are due to have an op next week.

EmbarrassingTroubles Tue 17-Oct-17 21:58:23

Said to try a decongestant which I've been doing with no improvement.

DesignedForLife Tue 17-Oct-17 22:10:43

If it's sinuses have you tried salt spray, paracetamol, and a long hot steamy shower? That usually gives me some temporary relief, and if nothing else helps confirm the diagnosis. Doctors round here usually won't prescribe antibiotics unless you've had it for a couple weeks. Not sure how A&E would help, but if you've exhausted the sinus route give 111 a ring.

DesignedForLife Tue 17-Oct-17 22:12:25

Also sinus pain is usually characterised by pain in your forehead, bridge of nose, and cheeks near nose. It can be agony.

retirednow Tue 17-Oct-17 22:36:30

I had sinusitis for years, on and off antibiotics, eventually had to have an op. the hospital where you are planning to have a G.A. need to know if you have anything that might affect your breathing or if you have an infection.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: