Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask a disabled young adult to move

(27 Posts)
SandlakeRd Tue 17-Oct-17 21:10:09

DH and I were out for tea earlier and there was a group of young adults in wheelchairs with carers/parents waiting for a table. The wheelchairs were electric so the people were "driving" themselves.

They were waiting in the area near the toilets. I stood back for a couple of mins to see if the group was moving but they weren't so I asked one of the wheelchair users who was mainly blocking the way if he would move. He said yes and did and I went to the loo.

All fine I thought until I came out and DH said he couldn't believe what I had done and that I should have waited or gone when we got home. My view was I did exactly what I would have done if they had not been in a wheelchair so it was fine and the boy didn't seem bothered. I am doubting my attitudes now though.

Was I being unreasonable?

TeaAndToast85 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:11:41

If it wasn't too much hassle for them to move (if it just took a few seconds) then I'd say fine x

Madbum Tue 17-Oct-17 21:12:07

yanbu and your DH is weird.

Italiangreyhound Tue 17-Oct-17 21:12:38

Of course you were right.your husband is mad. Maybe he has a bigger than average ability to wait!

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Tue 17-Oct-17 21:14:41

Eh, it was fine.
My teens in a wheelchair. If he's in the way then I tell him to move.
He has a tendency to loiter looking at his phone forgetting that he takes up the entire hallway

Ttbb Tue 17-Oct-17 21:16:43

You treated them like you would any other person-I don't see a problem here...

Bringbackpublicfloggings Tue 17-Oct-17 21:17:03

Thats mad. Disabled or not you can still ask.

WhatwouldAryado Tue 17-Oct-17 21:32:30

Definitely not unreasonable! I have worked with teens with a wide variety of mobility issues. They and i can (like all of us) suffer from a lack of being psychic about what people passing by might want wink

CaptainHammer Tue 17-Oct-17 21:42:19

Definitely NOT unreasonable!

zzzzz Tue 17-Oct-17 21:44:08

You were fine and your dh is being a bit strange.

PurpleDaisies Tue 17-Oct-17 21:45:44

It's absolutely fine to ask someone in a wheelchair to move if they're blocking the way.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 17-Oct-17 21:48:39

Your DH's attitude is one of the many reasons that disability is still seen as 'problematic' by society. My friend uses a wheelchair and oftentimes when we're out in a crowded bar or whatever will ask me if I fancy a 'seat' in a joking manner. They are people too. Same thing when people defer to carers or whomever rather than address the disabled person in question. My friend oft says "It's my legs that don't work, when my brain stops you'll notice."

Pollydonia Tue 17-Oct-17 21:49:10

What you did was fine, sounds like your dh has " issues" around being seen as disableist

Glumglowworm Tue 17-Oct-17 22:00:38

Yanbu

Unless you've left out that you gave a torrent of abuse to them for daring to clutter up the place with their wheelchairs wink

He was in the way, you waited briefly to see if he would move anyway, then politely asked him to move, which he did without objection. If it had been someone not in a wheelchair it wouldn't have been worthy of comment, why does the addition of the wheelchair make it a problem?

DontTouchTheMoustache Tue 17-Oct-17 22:03:39

Unless you shouted "oi, move!" I don't see an issue grin

Undercoverbanana Tue 17-Oct-17 22:09:18

You treated them just as you would an un-disabled person, politely and appropriately. He probably liked the fact that you treated him "normally" rather than the goggle-eyed staring that some people in wheelchairs have to endure. What is your DP's issue exactly?

Liadain Tue 17-Oct-17 22:11:43

God no, yanbu. You'd ask pretty much anyone else to move and it sounds like it didnt bother them at all, whats the problem?

I'm sure those people appreciated being treated like anyone else instead of you acting like they're made out of sugar.

FreudianSlurp Tue 17-Oct-17 22:12:44

My view was I did exactly what I would have done if they had not been in a wheelchair so it was fine

I'm a wheelchair user too, and I'd be absolutely fine with being asked to move out of the way in the circumstances you've described. YANBU.

user1471548375 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:12:56

Totally reasonable. Just like able bodied people find ourselves standing/sitting somewhere inconvenient all the time, so do wheel chair users. Sometimes we need someone to point it out to us. Unless there was no where to physically manoeuvre you were fine.

SandlakeRd Tue 17-Oct-17 22:13:59

DH said that as there was a large group I should have just waited rather than give the impression they were in the way as it may make them uncomfortable. TBH I don't know what their parents may have thought as I didn't look at them or talk to them. They were all at the table when I came out.

pilates Tue 17-Oct-17 22:14:43

No totally fine

MsPavlichenko Tue 17-Oct-17 22:22:58

Fine. My son (26) uses a Powerdrive. I have been known sometimes to tell him to get his arse into gear if he is in the way of someone or me. He's not always aware of this, but happily moves, albeit with guidance sometimes.

MammaTJ Tue 17-Oct-17 22:24:49

I'm afraid with my bladder there is no option of waiting or going when I get home!

I would have had no choice but to do as you did. You were fine in asking him to move, really.

YANBU!

AdoraBell Tue 17-Oct-17 22:33:46

YWNBU.

GlitterNails Tue 17-Oct-17 22:37:34

I'm a wheelchair user, and it was fine in those circumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now