Talk

Advanced search

To think it’s unfair that if you’ve worked somewhere less than 2 years you’re not entitled to redundancy pay?

(24 Posts)
AngeloMysterioso Tue 17-Oct-17 19:20:38

Was made redundant recently, and because I’d worked there less than 2 years I’m not entitled to any redundancy pay, and have also been rejected for payment in lieu of notice. AIBU to think that’s really not fair, given that I’m no less screwed than the people who worked there longer?

TheWitchwithNoName Tue 17-Oct-17 19:22:50

I believe statutory redundancy is only a weeks pay for each year worked, so you wouldn't get much more on top of your notice anyway.

Still sucks, hope you get something else soon.

sonjadog Tue 17-Oct-17 19:24:31

You are looking at it the wrong way round. The company isn't interested in paying out to someone who hasn't put in the hours for them. Their aim is not to male your life easier.

shouldaknownbetter Tue 17-Oct-17 22:48:13

Yes its unfair. Life's unfair.

thatstoast Tue 17-Oct-17 22:51:24

Write to your MP, join a union, start a campaign. It's a total race to the bottom at the moment.

Dabitdontrubit Tue 17-Oct-17 23:05:20

It sucks.

But even if you got redundancy you would not get enough to take the sting out if you've not been there long.

YANBU for being angry & feeling let down. I went through it 18 months ago. Poured my heart and soul into the role & felt very bitter about the whole thing.

The redundancy pushed me to the brink, but the urgency of impending financial doom made me concentrate on finding another job quickly. I'm on rubbish money 18 months later, but I'm much happier... though I work in the public sector so redundancy is always lurking somewhere.

I hope things work out for you and you can put this behind you because really it's all you can do.

TheVoiceOfTreason Wed 18-Oct-17 06:04:06

Not unreasonable at all, it's totally unfair. I also think the rates for statutory redundancy are disgustingly low.

I hope you find something else soon. It's a horrible situation, lots of sympathy and hugs to you. Xxxxxx

cornerstoned Wed 18-Oct-17 06:16:32

it's crap but nothing you can do. but redundancy pay rates are just a pittance anyways.

why don't you get PILON though if you don't work your notice?

secondhoneymoon Wed 18-Oct-17 06:40:36

Was also going to ask why no pay in lieu of notice? What is the notice period in your contract?

Bruceishavingfish Wed 18-Oct-17 07:05:53

Do you mean they want you to work your notice rather than give you the money and let you leave straight away?

RavingRoo Wed 18-Oct-17 07:09:46

People who have joined within the previous two years are usually paid higher salaries than staff at the same level who have been there for longer. The ones around for just under the two year mark can also he more employable as they’ve got up to date skills etc. Put it simply they don’t need the payout.

LakieLady Wed 18-Oct-17 07:22:16

If it's clear in your contract, it's a doddle to sue them for pay in lieu of notice and I'd recommend you go for it (unless they're in administration or something, in which case there's no point).

The lack of employment rights and redundancy for those with less than 2 years service is a disgrace imo.

londonrach Wed 18-Oct-17 07:24:35

Ravingroo..thats rubbish. My dh was made redundant twice within 2 years limit and struggled to get another job as he was considered a risk as he wasnt employed for more 2 years despite the fact his department closed and his salary was same or less than his colleagues. It took a lovely guy at a firm to give him a break and break the less than 2 year cycle but we had years of hell until then. Op yanbu.

marble11 Wed 18-Oct-17 07:31:06

I am being made redundant in March. I have found another job and I am leaving so I won't get my redundancy. I have been with my employer for 5 years and I will lose about £6,000.

Some of my colleagues are getting in excess of £20k however these are people in their later working years and who realistically will struggle to find work.

I would look at the positives. It's a kick up the arse to make a change.

This is the second time for me in 5 years. I'm a single parent so securing decent employment is essential.

brasty Wed 18-Oct-17 07:34:29

Totally unfair. And redundancy that employers have to pay is also really low. Some have said here a week for every year you have worked, but that is actually capped at a low rate.

brasty Wed 18-Oct-17 07:36:04

So last place I was made redundant, although I had worked there for a very long time, I got little relatively little.

Assume you are having to work your notice? Standard in some places.

KadabrasSpoon Wed 18-Oct-17 07:39:55

How near are you to the two year mark? Sometimes these processes drag on and you might get there.
The last redundancy situation I was in the union managed to get an enhanced deal including something for those under 2 years. Are you in a union?

secondhoneymoon Wed 18-Oct-17 07:44:37

statutory redundancy is capped at about £14k, regardless of length of service or salary. I have colleagues being made redundant after 30+ years for that amount. Also unfair.

ihatethecold Wed 18-Oct-17 07:47:56

I lost my job this summer through the TUPE process.
I had to either leave or move to Poland to keep my job. Id been with the company for 11 years
I was given an ex gracia payment of 2K. A pittance really for the duration of employment but perfectly legal.

AngeloMysterioso Wed 18-Oct-17 12:23:53

No PILON because the company went into administration. Have applied the way I was suggested to but it was rejected.

LIZS Wed 18-Oct-17 12:30:12

Isn't it different for a company in administration. There are usually many creditors of which employees are some. If there are limited assets then government will cover the statutory minimum for employees.

SpiderCid Wed 18-Oct-17 13:31:24

I would say it depends on the situation if you're the kind of person who job hops every couple of years, then I'd say its fair and your own fault.

If like other people, you've been unlucky and had to find a new job because of a similar situation previously (redundancy etc), and would of stuck with the company for a long time if you'd had the chance. I'd say its unfair.

Greyponcho Wed 18-Oct-17 13:36:11

It’s shit, isn’t it?
Just like if you’re there for less than two years they can’t be done for constructive dismissal.
I don’t know why this magic two figure was devised, it screws a lot of people over

rainbowbreeze123 Wed 18-Oct-17 14:19:25

Finished after just under a year, grossly unfair but nothing I could do.. when I looked into it I couldnt believe the 2 year rule. Totally unfair !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now