Talk

Advanced search

To want this ice cream van banished from the earth

(27 Posts)
mowmylawn Tue 17-Oct-17 17:41:20

There is an ice cream van which comes up our street every single day, without fail, usually between 17.40-17.50. It's a small, dead-end road and he has to do an 11-point turn to head back down the road, and he does this right in front of our house. I've never seen anyone buy an ice cream from him.

Having this ice cream van literally right in front of our house, in what feels like arm's reach, wrecks our night. He always arrives around dinner time, and it takes at least 10 minutes for my 3yo DS to calm down from his 'I WANT ICE CREAM!!!' tantrum, dinner is forgotten, everyone is pissed off, etc. And this is every day, for years (we had the same problem when our 5yo DD was younger but she knows better now...).

I don't think there's anything that can be done, he probably has every right to be there, but dear god in heaven when I hear that music my cortisol levels go through the roof. Every. Damn. Day.

mygorgeousmilo Tue 17-Oct-17 17:45:52

I don't know about the van itself, but I'd give 3yo dinner before 5:40

sayyouwill Tue 17-Oct-17 17:45:56

YANBU.

There is a sandwich van that drives past mine every morning at 7am then again at 11am. DS naps around 11 and it wakes him up every. Single. Day.
There aren't even any businesses around here!! He's driving towards a business park so doesn't even stop around here but we can hear him loud and clear!! Hate him!

NannyOggsKnickers Tue 17-Oct-17 17:49:44

We have a similar issue. An ice cream van goes down our (mostly childless) street ever evening at 7pm. Waking up DD who has just fallen asleep. In fact, I don’t imagine many kids buy an ice cream at 7 in the evening.

I blame DH who once bought a Mr.Whippy off this guy four years ago. If I ever find this person I may not be able to control myself.

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Tue 17-Oct-17 17:54:16

They’re notorious for selling drugs.

Squirmy65ghyg Tue 17-Oct-17 17:56:04

Have you told DS the sign is up saying they've run out? And that's what the music means?

FenceSitter01 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:57:04

If no one has been sighted purchasing a screwball with bubble gum sauce I sincerely doubt they're getting a wrap of coke.

ItsNachoCheese Tue 17-Oct-17 17:58:47

I have a hammerhead at the end of my street. Icey man knows hes no hope of hell in maneouvering it so he just reverses up the street so he is facing the way out

randomsabreuse Tue 17-Oct-17 18:02:32

We have one with the noise at 3 billion decibels so it distorts. Definitely suspect drug delivery as we have a co-op with adequate ice cream supplies 3 minutes away and it comes round rain or shine including in the depths of winter!

DD (2) doesn't yet know what an ice cream van sells and sleeps through pretty well anything so I am just pissed off for my own ears' sake!

teaortequila23 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:02:36

There is one on my street that only comes when the weather is nice but he comes at 7:00 pm! I have never seen anyone buy one at 7 so god knows why he’s bothering my dd gets upset but I just tell her she can have one the next day from the freezer.

You could just let your dc have a very small lolly (homemade) after dinner and that would save the upset.

IndianaMoleWoman Tue 17-Oct-17 18:03:44

You have three options:

1. Agree to an ice cream one day a week as long as there’s no complaining the rest of the week.

2. Move tea time.

3. Move House.

woodhill Tue 17-Oct-17 18:04:51

Keep some in your freezer and offer those after dinner. I never succumbed to the ice cream van in our street with my dc.

mowmylawn Tue 17-Oct-17 18:06:10

mygorgeousmilo he goes to the after school club and they trot out sandwiches at 4pm, so he raids that and usually isn't super hungry any earlier.

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying dying at the thought of selling drugs, if you take out the three families with children on the street, the average age of the residents is probably hovering in the mid-70s - ice cream man must have the good Ensure ;)

NannyOggsKnickers have thought the same, I wonder if at some point someone bought a cone and I hope they choked on it.

sayyouwill Preach!

Ttbb Tue 17-Oct-17 18:06:23

YANBU. Who even buys ice cream in the uk anyway? It's freezing most of the time. He's probably selling drugs.

earlybirdhasanap Tue 17-Oct-17 18:08:38

Are you my neighbour? We have the exact same thing.
Although my dd is too young to ask for ice cream it just annoys me. Who buys ice cream in October at this time of day?!

Misspollyhadadollie Tue 17-Oct-17 18:11:18

Its outside of schools that bug me (none come on my road) dd cries when she can't have one it's very annoying.

Littlebatcalledlucille Tue 17-Oct-17 18:13:31

The same thing happens on my street!
Hail,sleet or fucking snow!!!! Green sleeves belts out and its always at dinner time! Around (5:30 or so)
Then! Around seven, another belts 'Teddy Bear's bastard picnic' its always far too loud and at bedtime!
Some times there are three on the street at once, I'd love to see ice cream wars tbh.

CrochetBelle Tue 17-Oct-17 18:18:01

Ours comes by just as the kids are leaving school. My DD2 bursts through the door every day "MuuuumcanIhavemoneyforasluuuuush?"

SirRaymondLuxuryYacht Tue 17-Oct-17 18:22:11

We have 2 match of the day theme tune & the good the bad& the ugly tune. Very annoying

lalalalyra Tue 17-Oct-17 18:22:26

I never understand the comments about buying ice cream in winter - surely they sell more than ice cream?

The one here is in no way comparable to the ones we had in Glasgow when I lived there, but even ours sells some sweets and bottles of juice. I've never seen anyone buy ice cream but he's busy with other stuff.

The one that came round where we lived in Glasgow was amazing. A wall of sweets, most crisps you could think of, glass bottles of ginger and cigarettes for anyone who didn't want to walk to the shops.

GlitterNails Tue 17-Oct-17 18:30:14

I made friends with our ice cream man and he brings things from the wholesaler for me! Not any kids on our street though, mostly 70+. He also does hot dogs and other things.

jenm87 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:33:28

i know people who say to there kids the ice cream van only plays music when hes ran out of ice cream lol

neveradullmoment99 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:42:03

You may take something from this:

code of practice

DollyPartonsBeard Tue 17-Oct-17 19:10:36

Are you my neighbour too? If it plays Yankee Doodle Dandy then I'm pretty sure you must be!

The one by us sets all the neighbourhood dogs off barking, which is doubly annoying. But I did hear a good tip: tell the children it only plays the music when they've run out of ice cream wink

missymayhemsmum Tue 17-Oct-17 20:47:45

We had this when dd and ds were little. every day, all round the estate. The only answer was never ever to buy ice cream from the ice cream van except when we go on holiday. Once the kids knew that was the unbreakable rule they shut up about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now