Talk

Advanced search

To ask how much TV your children watch??

(20 Posts)
procrastinationsupremo Tue 17-Oct-17 16:46:13

My daughter will be 2 in December. She has only really started to enjoy television in the last couple of months and previously watched 5 minutes a day max (e.g. one episode of Hey Duggy). She was really poorly with croup a couple of months ago and is generally very 'busy' so I popped some Peppa Pig on in an attempt to get her to snuggle down on the sofa for a while. I've now realised that the amount of TV she watches has really crept up... To up to 2 hours on some days. I find if I pop cartoons on in the morning I can get her dressed without chasing her round the house, have a tidy up, pop some washing on etc. I then find myself doing it at the end of the day when I cook dinner. I'm not worried about fresh air and exercise as we generally go out for most of the day to places she can run around (groups, parks, zoo etc.) and my Mum has her for 2 days a week and she doesn't watch any telly there. I'm worried that she isn't playing with puzzles and developing pretend play etc. and just generally pottering round at home as much as she was. I also feel bad as my husband and I don't watch much telly and so I really only put it on for her. Is this normal or not great parenting? Be honest!!

florenceandthefig Tue 17-Oct-17 16:50:18

Too much 🙊

Kochicoo Tue 17-Oct-17 16:52:52

Sounds like she does loads of other things so I think it's probably fine.

happygirly1 Tue 17-Oct-17 16:53:39

I think you do what works for you and don't worry about it.

I sometimes have CBeebies on in the background when we're in the house - sometimes she pays attention but as most of her toys are in a different room she more often doesn't.

We go out every day to different activities/groups/playdates as well so I don't feel too bad knowing she watches a bit of TV whilst in the house. No point beating ourselves up, we're all just doing the best we can trying to juggle everything on our plates.

RebelRogue Tue 17-Oct-17 16:56:09

Lots and lots and lots.
Even if we/she played with something else or went somewhere else(garden,bedroom,kitchen)it was still on for background noise.
Some days it was on all day.
She’s top sets for Maths and Literacy so her brain hasn’t turned to mush(yet).

SherlocksDeerstalker Tue 17-Oct-17 16:57:07

If you're worried about it, perhaps make it an actual activity time, rather than just background noise for however long (which is my pet hate - TV blaring with nobody even watching!) When i find our TV time has crept up, we revert to a 'TV after dinner' rule, meaning they get 45 mins after dinner before we get ready for bed. Then theres no arguments, they know when to expect it and when its going off. I have two age 3 and 6, and this works for us. Obviously you could make it any time period and time of the day that suits you, but doing it by the clock makes it less mindless and more of a set activity with a defined limit.

ZepellinBend Tue 17-Oct-17 16:59:02

Too much, especially if the weather is bad.

I have found with the elder one however, he's come away from tv and wants to go out and play with his mates instead.

BeyondThePage Tue 17-Oct-17 17:00:38

Lots here- moving wallpaper as they say... but academically, top sets for everything, A* GCSEs, plenty of hobbies and time out of the house too.

TV for us is a shared activity - we only have 1, it is in the living room - I would be much more worried if our girls were off in their bedrooms on the internet or social media -

I know you have a few years yet before that OP...

RebelRogue Tue 17-Oct-17 17:01:46

Btw she only watches TV in the morning while we get ready for school,and some (mostly a movie) at the weekends now.
We evolved to ipad and youtube .grin

procrastinationsupremo Tue 17-Oct-17 17:04:54

I think maybe what worries me is she isn't really pottering round whilst it's on in the background, she's pretty glued to it! She's also started to go straight for the TV buttons and thrust them at me as soon as we get home... It's just so tempting as otherwise she is the DEFINITION of 'into everything' and I'm a bit knackered (and lazy). She used to be constantly pushing books into my hands to read, now it's the TV remote!! <Hangs head in shame>

Flippetydip Tue 17-Oct-17 17:05:56

I could never ever have it on in the background - but that's because I'm fairly sure I have slight misophonia and that would have driven me absolutely bonkers.

My second child watches less than my first. DS (eldest - 8) would watch all day if we let him, DD (age 6) can generally take or leave it. When they were younger we let them watch about an hour a day. I think whatever works. If you're worried it's at the expense of development/imagination then cut it back a bit.

RebelRogue Tue 17-Oct-17 17:06:48

@procrastinationsupremo let her figure it out how to turn telly in/use it herself. That’s a puzzle.grin

marvinsandwich Tue 17-Oct-17 17:08:59

Not much before I had my second. smile Now - loads! It's the only way I was able to handle 2 under 2 and keep my sanity. They're a bit bigger now but I still find we use it a lot. When I'm getting the baby down for a nap upstairs for instance I can be gone 20 minutes so I need to know my 3 year old is happy and contained and not pulling open all the cupboards and climbing on the sofa! Go Jetters keeps him sat still and happy!

I reckon we sometimes do 3 hours a day. Not all at once. And we do go out every day and have lots of playing time etc, so I think it's alright.

Birdsgottafly Tue 17-Oct-17 17:15:07

My GD was the same, also a December Birthday. It all changed over Summer, when she was that bit older and the weather picked up.

Now she is nearly three and can 'properly play', the television has lost as much interest. She likes to sit and watch Land before time etc, rather than have Peppa in the background. She is now starting different clubs and is busy.

My eldest is 32, tbh, I can't see a different outcome in her peer group etc between those whose Parents limited television and those that didn't.

As long as different activities are tried and homework is done, as well as some helping with household tasks, I don't think that time limits make a difference in outcomes.

procrastinationsupremo Tue 17-Oct-17 17:18:36

I'm feeling very reassured, thank you! It's been a difficult month and we're all pretty shattered, so maybe when I've got my energy levels up a bit it won't feel quite so tempting (I find myself watching Peppa and find it oddly comforting!)

RhonaRugMuncherr Tue 17-Oct-17 17:24:08

Probably too much for some people, however, we are out of the house between 9.30-12 most days at playgroups/classes/park, she naps in the afternoon so TV is off, then I always play with her for about an hour after her nap so it balances out imo.

Raver84 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:32:09

About 20 mins in the morn whilst they have breakfast. Then when older two are at school my 3 year old was the arpund 40 mins after lunch to have a sit down (no longer naps but needs a rest) as we normally go out in morning. Then before dinner they get half hour of their tablet whilst I cook. I wouldn't want more than this.

Silverthorn Tue 17-Oct-17 17:39:18

Meh. What's the big deal? We have it on as background but they don't really bother with it except their favorite shows. They prefer going outside to play.

Strokethefurrywall Tue 17-Oct-17 17:44:42

I don't worry about ipad use (which is what they watch shows on mainly) given they're at school and preschool all day.
As far as I'm concerned they can watch as much as they want given the amount they're outside running around, drawing/crafting/building hide outs.
Same as previous posters.

Poorlybabe4 Tue 17-Oct-17 20:17:33

Think you are over thinking it. She is still playing amd active. Its hardly anything to worry about. If its cbeebies even better. Everything seems to be educational or have a moral and if she is actively listening to it then she is learning..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: