Talk

Advanced search

Is it okay to enjoy the work of abusers like Weinstein etc

(38 Posts)
sarahjconnor Tue 17-Oct-17 13:08:08

Big family debate has led me to post this. I don't know what is right but am very interested in opinions.

Is it ok to still watch films/listen to music by Ike tuner, Roman Polanski etc when you know they have been abusive. I was shocked and horrified to see Mike Tyson playing it for laughs in the hangover and appalled when the majority of under 30s I spoke to did not know he is a convicted rapist.

Very interested to hear opinions.

TempStamos Tue 17-Oct-17 13:12:06

Hmm, I guess I would still watch films Weinstein was involved in. Liking the film is different than liking the person.

MrsEricBana Tue 17-Oct-17 13:15:10

I did think about that recently when I was watching Manchester by the Sea and it certainly put me off.

ShoesHaveSouls Tue 17-Oct-17 13:15:45

I'm conflicted by this too. I can't imagine anyone enjoying re-runs of Jim'll Fix It now - but I note showings of Polanski films are still plentiful.

Does anyone listen to Gary Glitter anymore? I doubt it. I can't see Weinstein's films being affected though, because he was just Producer. Hmmm. I don't know is the answer.

Winosaurus Tue 17-Oct-17 13:16:30

I cannot bear Chris Brown because of what he so publicly did to Rhianna... his songs are catchy but I’m shocked other artists want to collaborate with a known woman beater.
It’s ok to enjoy Weinstein’s work because it isn’t just his... the fantastic actors, costume designers, directors etc make his films the successes they are. He was part of a team that created those works of art so it’s ok to appreciate it for what it is.
He himself is a vile creature and shouldn’t be allowed near women again

Branleuse Tue 17-Oct-17 13:16:54

I have mixed feelings on this ever since i starting looking into biographies of my favourite artists, painters, musicians. They were almost all complete fuck ups, some worse than others.
I dont support what these people did, but im not going to do any sacrificial burnings, nor pretend their art was shit. Most people are so deeply flawed but still have good things about them too. Its hard to see that when its all big and in the news.

sarahjconnor Tue 17-Oct-17 13:16:54

I couldn't watch savile/Cosby and the hangover made me quite angry but not sure about directors/producers - they are further from the art I suppose so it's easy to overlook their involvement.

bogofeternalstench Tue 17-Oct-17 13:17:40

It's a tricky one. I think that if any royalties are going to go to that person as a result of me watching/listening then I couldn't do it. But, for instance, watching a Woody Allen film on TV? If I didn't think his films were shit I think I still would.
Saying that, I can no longer listen to the Lost Prophets album I had before we found out about Ian Watkins so I'm contrary.

sarahjconnor Tue 17-Oct-17 13:18:25

Gary glitters music is still used extensively in the us and Canada- esp at sporting events

BilbaoBaggins Tue 17-Oct-17 13:19:20

Of course it is. The work exists independently of the man and he is not the only person involved in producing it.

5rivers7hills Tue 17-Oct-17 13:21:46

Oooooh that is difficult.

A lot of great artists have been total shits thought haven't they throughout history and done bad things to people.

I think it is easier to separate the art from the artist when they aren't staring you in the face. So watching Jim'll Fix It or listening to Garry Glitter is very in your face about the person, but watching a film where the producer was an abuser, much less obvious.

ShoesHaveSouls Tue 17-Oct-17 13:23:20

Gary glitters music is still used extensively in the us and Canada- esp at sporting events

Is it? Bloody hell.

IsabelleSE19 Tue 17-Oct-17 13:27:29

I wondered that the other day when his name came up in the credits of Lord of the Rings. It was a bit jarring, but I suppose it is just one name in a massive cast and crew list so possibly B a bit U not to watch it at all.

NancyDonahue Tue 17-Oct-17 13:29:19

I seem to remember the value of Rolf Harris paintings dropped after he was convicted. I think his portrait of the queen was removed from public view also.

I don't think a film producers movies will be affected in the same way. He doesn't appear in them and he hasn't physically touched them. Although I would be wondering about how the actors were feeling at that time when the movie was being made and that might put me off.

x2boys Tue 17-Oct-17 13:31:21

Interesting question , as a child .I loved Jim,'ll fix it but now the memories are tainted because of Jimmy Saville I also liked watching Rolf Harris When he did those quick paintings but again because of who he is and his convictions the memories are tainted.

Birdsgottafly Tue 17-Oct-17 13:34:12

I think that we are very much selective in our principles.

I would think badly of anyone who dressed up as Gary Glitter, for a fancy dress party, but I love the Jeepers Creepers films and will be going to see JP3.

Micheal Jackson is everywhere. Let's see if Donna Karen's sales are affected, I doubt they will be.

We are selective about condemning drug use, as well, I know lots of people my age (50), who had a lot to say about Amy Winehouse, whilst idolising John Lennon and other rock stars.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Tue 17-Oct-17 13:55:41

I remember a radio discussion years ago about Michael Jackson (prior to death) and Gary Glitter. Nothing stuck through the legal process to prove Michael Jackson did anything illegal. Gary Glitter has been proven in the courts beyond reasonable doubt several times. I remember the pundit saying that Michael Jackson had more longevity because the quality of the music spoke for itself beyond the personality behind it. Indeed when he died a few years later, his music seemed to be played free from the doubts connected to the personality and played for the celebration of the music itself.

Much great media has been created by people of dubious personal history. The longevity of that will be created by it's quality.

Also should the females who have been victimised then miss out on the royalties of their work because of their abuser?

Meanwhile we can live without the Leader of the Pack or Two Little Boys (although it saddens me that I fondly remember my dad singing Two Little Boys to me. That memory has nothing to do with the actions of Rolf Harris, but that memory of my dad is tainted a little because of the association)

araiwa Tue 17-Oct-17 14:00:37

i have no idea which movies harvey weinstein was involved in so its not an issue

bit different to something as in your face as watching jimll fix it

redexpat Tue 17-Oct-17 14:07:12

I still enjoy watching rolf harris sing tie me kangaroo down on our wiggles dvd. Although not as much as I did pre conviction.

mrsharrison Tue 17-Oct-17 14:11:15

I won't watch any Johnny Depp films after seeing his treatment of Amber.
But I would watch a Polanski/Weinfield film - they don't star in them so I don't have to look at their faces, plus it takes a huge crew of people to put a film together who deserve credit - not just these two monsters.

slightlyglittermaned Tue 17-Oct-17 14:20:07

Some of my favourite books as a child were written by a man called William Mayne. I loved A Swarm in May and other books of his. But then they seemed to disappear.

Turns out he was jailed in 2004 for abusing young girl visitors over years, and his books disappeared from shelves after that. He died in 2010.

I thought this article was very thoughtful: www.theguardian.com/books/2004/may/27/childprotection.uk

sarahjconnor Tue 17-Oct-17 14:34:44

The debate was prompted because I was listening to an Ike and Tina Turner song and had turned Chris Brown off on the radio earlier. And then there's R Kelly. Was Ignition really so catchy that people forgot he was a rapist. he has admitted it, and no one seems to care:

www.gq.com/story/r-kelly-confessions

MissionItsPossible Tue 17-Oct-17 14:54:35

I think it's okay to enjoy the work if you want to but also completely okay to boycott it out of principle.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 17-Oct-17 14:58:51

I won't give child rapist Polanski any money.

Maybe it's a good place for video piracy <light-hearted>

Catwithglasses Tue 17-Oct-17 15:07:15

Every time I try to write an answer to this I can't get it right.

I'd feel weird listening to previously-enjoyed Lost Prophets albums or watching Jimmy Saville being nice, but I still like the songs or remember my 'favourite' Fix Its.

Weinstein is so much less present in his work I don't think of the films the same way (and who even checks who produced a film?), but the idea of profiting from awful behaviour...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now