Advanced search

DP bought me a present...

(54 Posts)
RavenLG Tue 17-Oct-17 12:36:27

Came home with a mop!!!
AIBU to shove it up his backside?

MycatsaPirate Tue 17-Oct-17 12:37:50

It depends on the type of mop.

Is it one of those ones that whizzes round in the bucket? If so yabu.

If not, tell him to bend over and take it like a man!

Winosaurus Tue 17-Oct-17 12:39:49

Unless it’s a steam mop I wouldn’t be impressed.
Buy him something equally offensive like a vibrator

safariboot Tue 17-Oct-17 12:43:53

I think the correct response there is something along the lines of,

"Oh, you got yourself a mop. You going to use it tonight?"

steppemum Tue 17-Oct-17 12:45:41

your missed a trick, you should have looked at him in a puzzled way and ask why he was giving it to you, as surely he would be the one using it?

Aquamarine1029 Tue 17-Oct-17 12:59:30

I love to mop to I would actually be excited. Especially if it was one of those fancy ones! blush

MimiSunshine Tue 17-Oct-17 13:02:06

Was he being funny? My boyfriend bought a steam cleaner and put it in a box with my name on saying happy early birthday.

It was very much for him, he loves that kind of gadget but he thought it'd be hilarious to pretend otherwise 🙄

Reader: I've never used it

ADayGivingMeHope Tue 17-Oct-17 13:05:35

My DH bought me a kitchen appliance for an important wedding anniversary... it did not go down well!

JenniferYellowHat1980 Tue 17-Oct-17 13:06:32

Is it a present or did the household just need a new mop?

whycantwegoonasthree Tue 17-Oct-17 13:14:49

Three days after a 51 hour labour with DD1 now EXH disappeared and left me alone for 5 f-ing hours to 'get me a present'.

He returned looking very pleased with himself and announcing that there were in fact two presents that were too big to wrap, sitting on the dining room table.

I hobbled into there, topless, with boobs the size of watermelons and ON FIRE as my milk had just come in, to find...

A steamer and a slow-cooker. "To make your life easier."

He phoned my mum to ask why I was sat on the floor sobbing. She suggested he f-ing cook me something in them and slammed the phone down.

They subsequently both proved very useful (although it's worth noting that he hung on to both when we separated) but, y'know. TIMING.

RaeCJ82 Tue 17-Oct-17 14:00:08

My OH once came home and presented me with a swede that had been reduced to 9p. Apparently whilst he was buying doughnuts for his work colleagues, he saw the swede and thought of me! shockconfused

redexpat Tue 17-Oct-17 14:24:05

Rae that might work if you are Swedish. Are you? Tis the only explanation I can think of!

Nubbled Tue 17-Oct-17 14:42:42

My husband presented me with a packet of quinoa, by way of revenge, I cooked it and made him eat it.

Floralnomad Tue 17-Oct-17 14:53:06

I got given a PS4 for my birthday this year , it was a joint present from my adult ds , mum and sister - he had convinced them that I really wanted it , do I sound like I really wanted it . It's in our second lounge gathering dust , I suggested he put it in his room with the numerous X boxes but he insists it's mine .

whitehorsesdonotlie Tue 17-Oct-17 15:14:28

Fabulous! It is plainly His Mop. He must do all the mopping from now on! grin

soupforbrains Tue 17-Oct-17 15:16:43

A colleague of mine recently had an anniversary. I asked if he'd got he wife a gift, and he proudly told me he'd got her a treadmill because "she's always saying she needs to lose weight, so now she can".

He was baffled when I stared at him jaw on the floor. He did not heed my warnings, and spent a few nights on the sofa as a result.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 17-Oct-17 15:17:24

DH would know I want a steam mop. Because I think it would magically clean the house as I sit on my arse. But he would use it more than me.

Do you do most of the cleaning?

soupforbrains Tue 17-Oct-17 15:17:30

also Nubbled I like your style!

Bluntness100 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:19:47

If it’s a mop for the house it’s fine, if he presented it as a gift for you, then yes you should tell him where to shove it

Wellthatwasembarassing Tue 17-Oct-17 15:27:30

Do tried to buy me a hoover for Christmas once... took far too long to get him to understand why that was a terrible idea.

user1495451339 Tue 17-Oct-17 15:44:15

We're buying an iron and a hoover for each others Xmas presents this year because we need new ones!

OurMiracle1106 Tue 17-Oct-17 16:17:06

You’re all so wrong. By giving her the mop he is suggesting this is the ONLY household chore she should be doing and he therefore needs to cook hoover washing ironing shopping washing up and deal with the kids.

grin

RhiannonOHara Tue 17-Oct-17 16:33:41

YANBU. Sideways and all.

Firesuit Tue 17-Oct-17 16:54:03

A mop is only a present if your relationship agreement previously specified that you had to clean the floors without one. (Possibly while naked or wearing a French maid costume, as a sexual fetish is the only reason I can think of for that being specified.)

Firesuit Tue 17-Oct-17 16:56:06

In other words, a mop isn't a present, even if it is usually your job to clean the floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now