Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to buy tumbled travertine floor tiles...

(7 Posts)
Annabel7 Tue 17-Oct-17 12:14:32

I love the look of these tiles but seems that they need a lot of maintenance and could be a bugger to clean. Has anyone got these or had these? What would you advise. Thanks!

QueenArseClangers Tue 17-Oct-17 12:28:53

Sorry, no use to you whatsoever but, on first glance, I misread your title as 'Mr Tumble transvestite' confused blush

Disclaimer: I am on shit strong pain meds at the mo grin

DJBaggySmalls Tue 17-Oct-17 12:32:48

We lived on a farm and used to have antique quarry tiles, and never again. To be fair we were all traipsing in and out in wellies all day and had umpty dogs, but still.
You have to get down on your hands and knees and use a plastic scrubbing brush, or buy an industrial floor cleaner and do the corners by hand.

mimiholls Tue 17-Oct-17 12:36:48

We have these in a bathroom and they are lovely with underfloor heating. You have to treat them to prevent stains as they are porous so personally would not use in a kitchen. They are very cold if you don't have underfloor heating.

Nowthereistwo Tue 17-Oct-17 12:37:18

We've got large tiles down in the kitchen/diner/hall. We put them down ourselves with a matching grout. You have to seal them but the haven't been any trouble.

The only issue is the "air pockets" in the tiles, if they're near the surface they can break through but we just filled.

RosyPony Tue 17-Oct-17 12:44:40

I love mine, still not got round to treating them! They've been down two years and I've just scrubbed the hell out of them (easier if you're not 8 months pregnant) and they look great, really need to seal them. They look great though and I'd have them again.

Annabel7 Tue 17-Oct-17 14:49:02

Thanks you everyone. QueenArse - that really made me laugh. I'm a bit nervous of the references to scrubbing them on your hands and knees. They look so good though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now