Talk

Advanced search

I'm on a wild goose chase to tract down my MRI results!

(5 Posts)
Twoweekcruise Tue 17-Oct-17 11:01:44

I had an MRI scan because of tinnitus about 2 months ago. I've heard nothing so have just rung my GP surgery, they've heard nothing, weren't particularly helpful and told me to ring the hospital switchboard and ask for the MRI results centre. The switchboard rings for ages before anyone answers, then the operator tells me results centre doesn't exist and puts me through to X-ray secretaries, they cant help, tell me I need ENT and put me through to the ENT appointments desk, they can't help and put me through to a secretary of an ENT consultant but not the one I saw (don't know the name as I saw 3 different people on the day!), obviously she can't help so puts me back through to the main switchboard!

So now I'm in limbo land, who the bloody hell do I speak to? Have been on the phone now for 45 minutes.
AIBU to think it shouldn't be this bloody difficult to track down some MRI results? Grrrr!

Surfingwhippet Tue 17-Oct-17 11:04:04

I wouldn't have thought they could tell you the results over the phone anyway. I would have thought your doctor needs to get the results first if they asked for the MRI

gettingbacktoresearch Tue 17-Oct-17 11:04:17

Try radiology, they're the ones who do the scans and report back to the consultants.....

BastardTart Tue 17-Oct-17 11:20:16

In theory what should happen is you get the scan done, radiologist reports on it, Secretary then shows the file to consultant, consultant dictates letter to you and gp with results or requests follow up appointment to see him, you get results

When I worked in ent what often happened was you have mri to check for acoustic neuroma, it would then take ages weeks to get reported on, eventually a paper copy of the report would find its way to me, I'd then attach the results to your file and put it in doctors admin pile, it would take weeks of me nagging him to do his admin, finally he'd dictate a letter which would get typed up eventually (we had a 3 month + backlog of typing at one stage due to staff shortages), and if a routine follow up appt was requested then I'd be lucky to find you an appt within the next 5 months....

Your best bet is to try the ent secretaries but if that offers you no joy then contact the pals dept and they will magically chase it for you.

Twoweekcruise Tue 17-Oct-17 14:25:28

I eventually managed to get put through to an ent secretary and she's confirmed all ok, yay!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: