Talk

Advanced search

Real Aid Christmas Gift Box Appeal?

(4 Posts)
just5morepeas Tue 17-Oct-17 09:25:46

I just got a letter from my kids school about their Christmas charity appeal and it's those Christmas shoeboxes for real aid.

Has anyone heard of them, it's not a charity I'm familiar with.

I'm not really sure of the value of shipping a little box of stuff who knows where (it doesn't say where they go and I can't find anything about the shoeboxes on the charities website) and you also have to give £2 with every shoe box for shipping costs which surely would be better off donated directly to something like Oxfam.

So I suppose what I'm asking is, AIBU to be worried about this?

kez1982 Tue 17-Oct-17 09:42:09

My daughter's primary school have stopped doing this as some charities use it to push religion on people and have also been found to be putting homophobic literature in the boxes. There are some good charities out there doing great things with these boxes but I would just look into which charity your school is supporting.

liquidrevolution Tue 17-Oct-17 09:47:27

You can always send a note in saying you are doing your own shoebox for your own charity and so won't be participating in this one. I do shoeboxes for Womens refuge and DD helps so will definitely not do any more for the schools appeal.

<currently sitting in office cum spare room which has more toiletries than my local boots waiting to be boxed up>

sadiemm2 Tue 17-Oct-17 10:43:24

My school does a shoebox collection, for a well known organisation. I don't take part because of what PP said. The proselytising, and evangelism required for children, often orthodox or Muslim to get a shoebox. I do my usual harvest and food bank collection, and social services toy drive. My DDs were cool about this, and happily collected other things to be donated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now