Talk

Advanced search

To give the neighbour his phone number?

(15 Posts)
Nunyabusiness Mon 16-Oct-17 22:48:17

Husband's friends stayed over last weekend. Reversing off our drive he's twatted the neighbour's car, pretty bad damage to the rear wing (I think most likely a whole new light and wing, mucho dollar I think) He's left a note on the neighbour's car with the wrong phone number on it, first we knew of it was when neighbour knocked to see if we had seen anything, then when he showed us the note DH recognised the writing.

'Friend' has been messaged the neighbour's phone number and asked to call him, reply was 'oh yes I left a note I've been waiting for a phone call from them, I will give them a bell'

If friend doesn't make contact WIBU to pass on his phone number? This is going to make things very awkward with the neighbours if not resolved, we only moved in at the start of the year. Plus you can't go round hitting cars and driving off!

We are seriously questioning our friendship with this person as a result of this.

Hippee Mon 16-Oct-17 22:57:49

Isn't illegal to leave the scene of an accident? I'd tell the "friend" that the neighbour is going to call the police. Was the number only slightly different or had he deliberately left the wrong number?

Maelstrop Mon 16-Oct-17 23:01:35

Give them his number and let the insurance sort it. Can you get the index of your friend's car? Bit useless otherwise.

steppemum Mon 16-Oct-17 23:03:23

I would give the neighbour the number

Anecdoche Mon 16-Oct-17 23:04:24

oh absolutely give them his number.

he can hardly say anything can he when he has already told you he left a note with his number and is waiting for the call?

AtSea1979 Mon 16-Oct-17 23:08:02

I also want to know if it was a digit out or if it was a completely different number. Maybe your friends gf/work phone/secret phone, not necessarily fake.

EnnieMcConville Mon 16-Oct-17 23:20:35

I'd tell a little white lie and tell the friend that another neighbour witnessed the accident and has offered to make a statement. Tell him you are doing him a huge favour as it is in fact illegal to leave the scene of a accident...AND...it is also a separate offense to knowingly give false details. Tell him you are happy to provide the neighbour with his correct details but that it needs to be done today, now, because they are calling the police and the neighbour is prepared to make a statement with the details of his car etc.

RB68 Mon 16-Oct-17 23:35:53

I think its only illegal if someone is hurt

SparklyLeprechaun Mon 16-Oct-17 23:45:09

Did you tell your friend he left the wrong number? Recently I gave my energy supplier a number I had about 10 years ago. Why? I don't know, it just seemed natural.

RB68 Mon 16-Oct-17 23:51:00

OK just checked and it is illegal if you don't leave your details - so I guess it depends how wrong the no is!! He just needs to fess up and get it sorted. He did the deed. I get fed up with people who do this as it is such a ball ache sorting it out and it gets pricey with panel resprays - my recent one is going to cost me upward of 300 quid grrr

Hippee Mon 16-Oct-17 23:54:57

You can't just leave a bashed in car because no-one was hurt! Apparently this is what you are supposed to do:

If you are driving a vehicle that is involved in an accident and any of these things happen:

Injury to anyone
Damage to another vehicle
Damage to an animal that is not in your vehicle (or trailer)
Damage to property

You have to stop and give these details to anyone who reasonably asks for them.

Your name
Your address
The name of the owner of the vehicle
The address of the owner of the vehicle
The vehicle registration

If it is not possible to stop and give your details for a good reason then you have to report the accident in person to a police station or to a police officer. You must make the report as soon as possible and within 24 hours at the most.

Bufferingkisses Tue 17-Oct-17 00:02:08

Don't give his number, "friend" is obviously trying to dodge and will probsbly guve you and neighbour trouble.

Just give neighbour his reg number and tell them to go direct to their insurance company. Let the insurance companies sort from there. There really is no need for the individuals to talk to each other.

Hopefully, once it's got that far, "friend" will man up and get it sorted rather than deny responsibility.

MintyChops Tue 17-Oct-17 00:36:18

Your husband's friend is an asshole, he really is, he must have known the neighbour would come to you when he realised that the number was wrong. I would give my neighbour the number and reg if I knew it and a bollocking to the "friend". Horrible position to put you in.

RavenclawRealist Tue 17-Oct-17 00:55:32

Tell neighbor you have passed contact details on and to let you know if he doesn’t get in touch! If he doesn’t I don’t think giving the phone number will help. Give your neighbor the driver name registration if you can find it out and say if insurance can’t track him down to let you know what information they need to track him! As pp have said there is no need for people to talk and if your ‘friend’ wanted to sort things without going though insurance you have given him that chance!

Nunyabusiness Tue 17-Oct-17 20:17:41

UPDATE

Husband popped over to neighbour this evening and friend has been in touch and they're dealing with it between the two of them, crisis averted.

I was really feeling anxious about the whole thing, I'm so relieved

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now