Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to find having an 18 month old relentless ?

(76 Posts)
tryingtobebrilliant Mon 16-Oct-17 22:02:47

I thought ( before I had a DC ) that I wasn't a baby person. I said I was looking forward to the walking and the start of taking phase.

Noooooooo I take it all back. I loved the baby bit and this toddler is irrational, moody, won't keep still and is exhausting. He won't nap when he's obviously tired. He throws most of his meals on the floor and laughs about it. Nappy changes are only allowed if YouTube is deployed.

When I tell him 'No' he wags his finger at me ( I don't do this, but he's got it from somewhere) hmm

And no he does not want to read a book, play with any of his toys or sleep. He wants to try to open the front door, chase the dogs, stand in the dog water and spend his time going out of the room I'm in. Of course if I dare leave room myself wahhhhhhhhhhh.

DS is 18 months. I think I'm cracking and I've not even got to terrible twos or threeanger.

FusionChefGeoff Mon 16-Oct-17 22:06:18

This is DEFINITELY the worst bit. Don’t worry, as soon as they can understand consequences and start talking properly it gets much easier physically. It takes more mental strength to ensure you’re consistent etc but generally 2 / 2.5 always felt like a watershed for me.

Hang on in there

coffeeneeded Mon 16-Oct-17 22:06:25

I've got 18 month old b/g twins. "No" is his favourite word and she throws a hissy fit if I give her half a cracker instead of a whole one.....

I feel your pain and am hoping someone will have some wise words for us???

BreakHerOffAKitKat Mon 16-Oct-17 22:06:54

You’re not alone. My dd is 19 months and I’ve never been so exhausted. She is non stop, constantly pushing the boundaries and her favourite word is no. I’m hoping the ‘terrible twos’ will have the opposite effect as she seems to have hit them early. Love that crazy little whirlwind though!

FusionChefGeoff Mon 16-Oct-17 22:07:29

Pick your battles I guess. Decide what is non negotiable and just resolve to let the rest of it go. Makes it emotionally much easier to cope if you accept that some things are just inevitable (mostly involving mess)

HumpHumpWhale Mon 16-Oct-17 22:08:41

Yeah, 18 months to 2 is really really hard. It does get easier around 2, IME. They start sometimes listening to you and playing alone for short periods.

Cornettoninja Mon 16-Oct-17 22:10:06

grin I was just so pleased to have some idea what she was crying over I don't really mind this stage (only a few months ahead of you). I'm slowly introducing the concept of bribery so figure it can only get better right?

Right?

Bodicea Mon 16-Oct-17 22:10:20

It gets worse am afraid. I have found she 2and half to 3 and a half the hardest stage myself. Part terrible twos part threenager. And you get less sympathy from people as they get older. People smile indulgently at an 18month olds temper tantrum. Not so much when it’s a 3 and a half year old. They are also a lot stronger then.

DS1 was 18ths when I found out I was pregnant with DS2;

I cried.

DS1 was clingy, demanding and just difficult. I loved him to bits, but the thought of dealing with two of them just scared me silly. As it happens, 9 months was more than enough time for DS1 to grow out of that phase. So have faith it does get easier, and eventually (19 years!) they learn to cook, clean and bring you a mug of coffee after work wink

CatchIt Mon 16-Oct-17 22:14:43

My ds is nearly 17 months and is just like a cat. Always on the wrong side of a door, climbs on surfaces he shouldn't and plays with the dogs tail.

No is a word he thinks is hilarious, and he's a right little monkey! Dd is now 5 so I know it gets better, well, until he's 2. And then 3... 😂

VitriolicMuse Mon 16-Oct-17 22:18:32

You are not alone! We have an 18 month old son who is driving us insane. Yesterday I had to have a strong gin and tonic at 4pm to literally get me through the afternoon (not even joking!!) after he smashed my 2 favourite mugs, pulled the washing power down and all over the floor, threw the toilet rolls in the bath I’d just filled, coloured the floor in red with a felt tip he’d found and smeared a cheese triangle on the sofa and made our 7 year old son cry numerous times by throwing various toys at him. NOTHING works he will laugh at you for even trying. I keep telling myself it will pass soon and I have gin.

tryingtobebrilliant Mon 16-Oct-17 22:23:42

I'm pretty lazy liberal already. But this afternoon included standing on radiator to try unsuccessfully to open bedroom window and constantly turning the taps on the bath when in it. I'm assuming he wouldn't learn from hurting himself at this age and I don't want him to get injured.

Tantrums and crying obviously if I interfere with his choice of pastimes. I try distraction 'oh look at this' and try to be creative with games etc but he's not impressed.

Feeling the shared pain.

beesandknees Mon 16-Oct-17 22:25:18

It's so hard! I'm almost certain this is the hardest bit. By 2y 3m, it got dramatically easier for me.

They are so so cute at 18 months. So personable and lovely (when they are in the mood to be!). I look at photos of those times and just melt from the middle outwards. But Christ alive, are they hard work with it.

It does get better ime!! Hopefully you will get through it without completely losing it.

tryingtobebrilliant Mon 16-Oct-17 22:28:05

Vitriol what is the obsession with mugs ? Even the dog looks at me like WTF and I find myself saying "I don't know"

fucksakefay Mon 16-Oct-17 22:30:09

18 months is my WORST age and I've had 3 kids. 3+ is much much better. Although in the case of the toddler from hell (third child) it was sadly 4+.

tryingtobebrilliant Mon 16-Oct-17 22:31:57

Coffee twins congratulations how do you cope with two of them?

QueenRefusenik Mon 16-Oct-17 22:32:35

21 months here. Christ on a bike YANBU.
drinks gin

helensburgh Mon 16-Oct-17 22:34:07

18 momth old here. Sigh
Its hard

sashimiyummies Mon 16-Oct-17 22:34:27

I've found 18 months to 3 and a half quite hard tbh. My friend says that 4 sees an improvement.

Theweasleytwins Mon 16-Oct-17 22:37:14

I have 21 month old g/b twins, completely get where you are coming from

liz70 Mon 16-Oct-17 22:37:25

Not as relentless as having an 18 month old and a 2 month old. grin

Snoopyokay Mon 16-Oct-17 22:39:05

18 month old here! Last week she pulled a cup of tea down from the side and it went all over her - no burns thank god! I am lying on the end of the floor being beaten up by her at the end of most days!

Snoopyokay Mon 16-Oct-17 22:40:11

You win liz! Or anyone that has twins!

withoutthelittledots Mon 16-Oct-17 22:43:54

Yep. It will pass. My baby was 18m once - she's now 18y and is currently in the kitchen doing the washing up and making me a cup of coffee while I lounge about on here smile

melonribenia Mon 16-Oct-17 22:44:11

Ds 1 is 5 and a dream. Ds2 is 13 months and beginning to be a handful!

It’s gets much better at 2! I’m counting the days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now