Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to miss nursery school sessions for day trips?

(13 Posts)
BellyBean Mon 16-Oct-17 21:49:09

When DD turns 4 she can attend the nursery school attached to the school she'll most likely attend in sept (more formal than preschool)

They expect her to go every afternoon, 5 days and that's what you agree to when she starts.

However the thought of not having a fun Friday having picnics with friends in the woods or whatever because we have to be back for nursery makes me sad.

WIBU to ditch occasionally since it's not compulsory, or should I suck it up, or not send her at all if I don't agree with it.

Hate that she's having to go afternoons or it wouldn't be such an issue.

LongWavyHair Mon 16-Oct-17 21:51:26

Yanbu. We did this occasionally and it did no harm!

DarkDarkNight Mon 16-Oct-17 21:53:58

Yes I do. They don't reach Compulsory school age until they turn 5. My son misses a fair bit for day trips, but also because he still gets very tired.

snozzlemaid Mon 16-Oct-17 21:55:51

If you’re claiming the free hours funding though you shouldn’t do it too often.

BellyBean Mon 16-Oct-17 22:07:41

Thanks this makes my dilemma about whether to send her at all clearer. I was considering keeping her in the more informal and flexible preschool (they allow partial week) but didn't want her to feel she was being kept behind.

I was only thinking perhaps 2-3 times total for the term she's there. I also have a younger daughter and don't want our only time to be when it's busy with older children.

Sunnydaysrock Mon 16-Oct-17 22:11:58

I still wish could take DC ,13 & 9 out for fun days. Make the most of it OP x

sayimtheonlybeeinyourbonnet Mon 16-Oct-17 22:17:44

We've had a wagger day today! I figure this time next year DD is going to be in full time school which she can't miss so the odd day here and there to do something nice together is not the end of the world. We only live once!

DoJo Mon 16-Oct-17 22:26:05

If you’re claiming the free hours funding though you shouldn’t do it too often.

Why not?

MyDcAreMarvel Mon 16-Oct-17 22:29:39

Leave her in the preschool , what possible reason would you have for starting " more formal education" a year before reception.
Young children learn best through unstructured supported play.

KateEffinMiddleton Mon 16-Oct-17 22:31:44

I work in one of these nurseries. The year before official reception. (Could even be the one you're thinking of attending) a lot of children don't get places so I think you'd be unreasonable taking all those hours you'd miss away from another child/parent. Also if you have a place and miss days often intentionally it could affect getting to the actual school.

Just send her to a preschool where you can actually dictate her hours.

Thymeout Mon 16-Oct-17 22:33:32

Sunnydaysrock Danny Baker did this. It was a lovely day and he felt like a trip to the seaside. He turned up at his son's secondary school with a serious expression on his face and said he needed to take his son home immediately. 'Family emergency'. Funnily enough, given your username, his son's name is 'Sonny'.

BellyBean Mon 16-Oct-17 22:43:06

it's only the term before she starts school not a full year. Weighing the pros and cons is still on my mind.

It would be great for her to get a head start getting used to the school routine, making friends with children she'll be at school with, and I do think she'd enjoy it whilst being more challenged than preschool with younger children (she's really interested in numbers and letters at the moment. And I don't want her to feel she's been kept back when she sees her peers start nursery without her.

On the other hand, it's less flexible and reasonably inconvenient to accommodate 12-3 sessions every day with a younger DD's routine and activities affected, it's more formal when not needed (but beneficial??), she might not like it.

Well she might not get a place anyway

Sunnydaysrock Tue 17-Oct-17 17:50:27

Thymeout I love him for that, not usually a fan grin. We live near the sea so very tempting on those hot days we had before the kids broke up for summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now