Talk

Advanced search

to turn off the TV when any plastic female botoxed presenter appears?

(21 Posts)
PlipPlopPlip Mon 16-Oct-17 21:20:38

It was my great misfortune to have to watch TV this weekend (aged relative) and every female presenter I saw would have made the StepFord Wives looked real.

Andrea McLean on Loose Woman of course looked particularly stretched and Barbie-like ... but they all are it seems. They all also looking increasingly skinny - I noticed this watching Strictly Dancing this weekend, which I haven't seen for a few years. The female presenters looked positively gaunt.

As for the botoxed presenters, journalists and newsreaders, I can't see any expressions in their faces. The only thing that really moves is their mouths! Really bizarre, much like a ventriloquist doll! Are they even aware of this effect?!

I know this issue has been done to death on MN. But I feel like switching off the Barbies now whenever they come on ... I'm all for women looking great and enjoying their bodies and appearance with fashion, makeup whatever. But this botox stepford thing increasingly creeps me out as it seems to be EVERYWHERE in the media. Are there in fact any women over the age of 45 in the media who haven't had this done, or facelifts, reconstructive surgery, whatever hmm? Are they signalling their bourgeois privilege" - I can afford to look this good unlike 90% of my viewers. Or I am only allowed here in the media because I make myself into a plastic doll (even in my 40s, 50s, etc) ...

This is a genuine AIBU.

AIBU?

Ijustlovefood Mon 16-Oct-17 21:23:53

I'd only just read the title when Andrea McLean popped into my head. Then I read your post.

TheAntiBoop Mon 16-Oct-17 21:25:45

They're not signalling anything. They're trying to stay in a job that precludes 'old' women

Dozyoldtwonk Mon 16-Oct-17 21:26:26

YANBU. I really think we have lost sight of what a normal woman looks like. Even those in their 20’s (in the media) have had work done.

Fucky Mon 16-Oct-17 21:38:50

I thought darcy and Craig had been looking less botoxed of late

Kanga59 Mon 16-Oct-17 23:04:37

Yanbu. It's taking over the soaps now too. I remember thinking the same about US Tv presenters 5 years ago.

Ijustlovefood Tue 17-Oct-17 07:34:32

and then there's the eyebrows

dinosaursandtea Tue 17-Oct-17 07:36:38

Turn off the TV when older women are presenting, and that's sending a very clear message to the production companies - and it's not the one you might intend.

Waterbottle1 Tue 17-Oct-17 14:58:41

Dinosaur they can’t tell whether you’re watching or not - wouldn’t make a difference.

Pagwatch Tue 17-Oct-17 15:00:16

Women presenters can't win can they. If they age they get sacked, if they try not to they get slagged off.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 17-Oct-17 15:01:04

They're not signalling anything. They're trying to stay in a job that precludes 'old' women

This. You're 'punishing' them for what society does to them. Maybe switch off every talentless, old geezer only in a job because of the old boys network.

dinosaursandtea Tue 17-Oct-17 15:12:10

...how do you think TV ratings get calculated?!

SpitefulMidLifeAnimal Tue 17-Oct-17 15:23:37

In the Daily Hate the other day, there was an article on Judy Finnegan. Comments were all on the lines of "Christ, hasn't she aged". The next article, about Madonna, had several comments like "What has she done to her face, she's plastic".

Women can't win, can they?

FlowerPot1234 Tue 17-Oct-17 16:04:03

I do this too now. I just cannot bear any more fake breasted, botoxed, cleavage-exposing bimbo mutants telling me the news, trying to convey some cultural information, or anything actually. I just switch over or off.

RebeccatheOld Tue 17-Oct-17 16:04:07

Oh, don't watch the TV if you don't want to see celebrities. YABU.

Agree with PPs women can't win.

Annabel7 Tue 17-Oct-17 17:34:49

I have to admit, I don't really notice it anymore! Agree with the above posters that women can't win either way and must be hard to resist with the constant scrutiny and prejudice against older women on tv. HD probably made telly folk run to cosmetic surgeons too...

TempStamos Tue 17-Oct-17 18:03:05

Don’t see the problem? It is their money and their face/body, so they should do as they like. Why do people seem to think natural beauty is any more of an achievement that fake. We are all guilty of trying to make the best of our selfs, whether that be an anti ageing cream or botox. I think the real problem here is jealously and other women feeling better about their appearance by tearing other women’s down. hmm

NotAgainYoda Tue 17-Oct-17 18:07:13

I just take comfort in Julie Walters

SecretLocker Tue 17-Oct-17 18:13:10

Funnily enough I've been thinking the same as you OP.
And where are the male news reporters on the BBC? Every correspondent - local, UK and worldwide - seems to be by a female now. Have all the men been binned off for any reason?

timeisnotaline Tue 17-Oct-17 18:16:21

Women really can't win can they? Have you considered doing one small positive thing for women instead of an action that entrenches the challenges they face? I turn off the tv when sports commentators who have regularly made crass sexist racist comments come on. I don't try and shut down the success a limited number of women have.

ElsieMc Tue 17-Oct-17 18:25:08

I take comfort in Jennifer Saunders. Think of Julie Walters and Jennifer, who are years and years younger than Jane Fonda and then look at Jane. She has no lines on her face and is 80. She is promoting her latest movie which goes by the unfortunate title of Our Souls in the Night.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: