Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

pronunciation corrections

(80 Posts)
EnnieJuan Mon 16-Oct-17 21:08:14

Is it unreasonable to use the right pronunciation back to someone who uses the wrong one? Aldi is pronounced with an A (Al-Dee). Audi is pronounced with an Ow (Ow-Dee). Omega watches have a stress on the O, not the Me. I never know whether to say the word correctly or just go along with the wrong one to humour the person. When it's someone's name it's simpler as they introduce themselves with their chosen pronunciation, like Renée (pronounced Ree-nee for old ladies up North).

BellaNoche Mon 16-Oct-17 21:21:59

It's the old ladies up North thread again. [unsure]
Roll up, roll up.

Ever so grateful to know how to pronounce Ow-dee though. I haven't slept for phonic worry.

I will be sure to say it right (Owww-deee) to the nice police officer next time I am knocked down by one outside the Al-deeeee

theymademejoin Mon 16-Oct-17 21:23:23

I always pronounce the way I pronounce regardless of how they do it but only if it is appropriate to the conversation. I wouldn't make a point of saying it to correct them. Mind you, half the time I wouldn't notice they were saying it differently.

AuntLydia Mon 16-Oct-17 21:24:56

Neither humour nor correct. You say it your way and let them say it theirs!

RosaDeZoett Mon 16-Oct-17 21:26:41

I think it's really helpful. Keep doing it.
😂 😂 😂
lol at the owdee outside all dee(or was it Lee dil?)

ForgivenessIsDivine Mon 16-Oct-17 21:27:25

No idea, but I am sure you would be welcome on the baby name Anaïs pronounced Annay thread...

BossyBitch Mon 16-Oct-17 21:33:02

I'm an expat and in IT and forever correcting 'agile' (not 'ay-j-aisle') as well as 'JIRA' (a software product by Atlassian and pronounced 'jee-ruh', not 'jy-re' - they have a statement on their official website to that effect, explaining the whole backstory, too).

So, no, YANBU!!!

Then again, one of my employees has recently gifted me with a slogan t-shirt that says 'I'm condescending - that means I talk down to people!'. You may hence want to take my opinion with a grain of salt! grin

wasonthelist Mon 16-Oct-17 21:43:36

OP - what's the incorrect version of Audi? (I generally pronounce Audi as Aldi - but that's just for fun).

BossyBitch Mon 16-Oct-17 22:01:06

@wasonthelist 'Audi' is commonly pronounced just like 'audit' but without the T in the end, IME.

wasonthelist Mon 16-Oct-17 22:05:10

OP how do you pronounce Porsche?

BellaNoche Mon 16-Oct-17 22:16:34

OP is confusing how to pronounce the name of the watch with the Greek alphabet. 0/10

Never heard an Oww deee called owt else than that ...but then I'm in the middle of TWOC country where they all pronounce their TWOCs proper like.

Anyway, I don't have an Oh May guh!
I have a Glass HOO tuh or ig in AHL

PavlovianLunge Mon 16-Oct-17 22:25:39

I can’t see the point in correcting someone; they’ll probably not stop saying All-Dee, or whatever it is, and you might well not come across well.

I’ve always Eye-Key-Ah, but according to the adverts, it should be Ick-Eh-Ah. Well, bollocks to that, I’m sticking with Eye-Key-Ah, regardless of being corrected or not.

MikeUniformMike Mon 16-Oct-17 22:29:53

OP, you should correct any mispronunciations lest these people embarrass themselves further. It is your duty to do so.

RoseWhiteTips Mon 16-Oct-17 22:36:19

I recall an HMI working g with our class on Othello who pronounced Desdemona as Des-DEM-ona, with the stress on the second syllable. Lol

Oh how we laughed.

But but but... it was his choice to be so pretentious because that is surely what it was.

There is an element of choice in pronunciation.

RoseWhiteTips Mon 16-Oct-17 22:37:28

RoseWhiteTips

I recall an HMI working with our class on Othello who pronounced Desdemona as Des-DEM-ona, with the stress on the second syllable. Lol

Oh how we laughed.

But but but... it was his choice to be so pretentious because that is surely what it was.

There is an element of choice in pronunciation.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Mon 16-Oct-17 22:39:54

Your old ladies up north are probably Irenes though, not Renées.

Protectingmydaughterfromfilth Mon 16-Oct-17 22:43:07

Apparently Orla Kiely is pronounced “Kee-Lee” however I’ve been pronouncing it as “Kylie” for so long that I just can’t change it. It won’t stick! I get some funny looks in shops sometimes when I’m asking if they stock any Orla Kylie

AllToadsLeadToHome Mon 16-Oct-17 22:44:22

If you are in London be careful on the chube and don't get anyfink caught in the doors.

sayyouwill Mon 16-Oct-17 22:57:18

Where 'up north' do 'old ladies' say Ree-Nee?
Have lived here my whole life and never heard this.
Also how and who pronounces Aldi or audi wrong?

Brahms3rdracket Mon 16-Oct-17 23:02:43

hmm you'll be banging on about scones next (it rhymes with gone)

CoughLaughFart Mon 16-Oct-17 23:06:52

I remember a few years ago they suddenly started pronouncing Hyundai 'Hyun-day' on the adverts, whereas before it was 'Hi-un-die'. It obviously didn't catch on because now they've gone back to 'Hi-un-die'.

For years I thought bruschetta was pronounced 'bruh-shetta' before learning it was 'bruh-sketta'.

VeniVidiWeeWee Mon 16-Oct-17 23:08:29

Omega is o mee ga. (According to the Greek pronunciation website I just checked).

NannyR Mon 16-Oct-17 23:09:14

I live up north and have heard several of my gran's friends refer to themselves as reeny (usually spelt Rene) because it's a shortening or pet form of Irene, therefore reeny makes perfect sense. They are not mispronouncing the name Renee.

NannyR Mon 16-Oct-17 23:09:29

I live up north and have heard several of my gran's friends refer to themselves as reeny (usually spelt Rene) because it's a shortening or pet form of Irene, therefore reeny makes perfect sense. They are not mispronouncing the name Renee.

Gibble1 Mon 16-Oct-17 23:10:05

Wrt Orla Kiely, she was on Graham Norton the other day and it is Kylie- not Keelee. I know because I was embarrassed that I have always pronounced it incorrectly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now