Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wish I had more confidence...

(5 Posts)
DontKnowWhatToDo123 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:07:02

...but no idea how to sort it out?

I've always lacked in confidence and just wish I could boost it. I have got lots better since having kids and I have to stick up for them and advocate for them...but it is still way below the confidence others around me have.

I had a job interview recently and basically, I'm too quiet and lack confidence. The job interview was at the place I work now on a casual hours contract so would have been nice to have set hours. I feel like such a failure. They know I am a good worker, I am reliable and have been told I do a good job, etc etc....but its interviews... I just can't get anything across that I want to, I clam up, my mind goes blank, my words get muddled up...and then everything goes downhill.

hidinginthenightgarden Mon 16-Oct-17 19:12:30

Fake it until you make it.
I am fairly confident but I new situations can be quite shy. In interviews I "act". Apparently I come across quite well but I do practise (at home in my head).

MissionItsPossible Mon 16-Oct-17 19:13:17

Tbh I think even in a job interview, people who are confident can fall apart. They are uncomfortable and horrible to go through and even if it's for something you do everyday, it's still nerve-racking so don't be too hard on yourself over that. Did they specifically say you did not get set hours because you lack confidence?

PeachPlumPears Mon 16-Oct-17 19:18:32

I am the same at interviews - mind goes completely blank etc. However I get past this by preparing loads. I find interview questions on the internet and write my answers then learn them off by heart! And get my partner to ask me them so I practise saying them out loud. It's a lot of work but I have got good results doing this so it's worth it. Still get jealous of people who seem to be able to do it without all that prep though!

DontKnowWhatToDo123 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:20:37

The job was for a set hours position, there has been a few come up for set hours and I always apply cos hey what have I got to lose. I thought after 3-4 interviews I'd be starting to get a bit better.... but nope, this last one was horrendous, I think at one point I must have looked like a deer in headlights cos they broke down a question to help.

yes, my manager said it was my " quiet personality" that made them choose someone else, and maybe it was something I could work on.

I still have my casual hours contract, but we're hoping to move soon and mortgage + casual hours won't be a great match.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now