Talk

Advanced search

To complain about this advert?

(79 Posts)
Banderwassnatched Mon 16-Oct-17 18:24:13

Hopefully you can see the picture- if not, it's an advert for 'Skinnypigs fitness', it says 'Caution! Skinnypigs will make you look better naked!', plus an image of two yellow sort of stick-women, one larger, one slimmer, the slimmer one is posing in a bikini. This is literally metres from my kids' school. AIBU or is that totally gross?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 16-Oct-17 18:25:52

Yuck

WorraLiberty Mon 16-Oct-17 18:28:09

I don't think it's gross, no.

But I'd rather it included male images too, so as not to send the message that obesity is just a female problem.

WyfOfBathe Mon 16-Oct-17 18:30:36

YANBU.

Does Skinnypigs also give you a free black bikini once you transform?

McDougal Mon 16-Oct-17 18:31:56

It’s popular where I am and doesn’t seem to cause much offence. Men do actually go to it too but I agree that a male image would help. It is advertised as a women’s fitness class though.

Ttbb Mon 16-Oct-17 18:32:17

YABU. It is just a chavy add.

Witsender Mon 16-Oct-17 18:35:40

Yuck

ThaliaLuxurySpa Mon 16-Oct-17 18:37:59

OP,

Could you 'modify' it, under cover of darkness?

Slap a large sticker stating "self-conscious about your body shape" over the "look better naked" part.

Thus it would read:
CAUTION:
Skinnypigs will make
you self-conscious about your body shape.

ThaliaLuxurySpa Mon 16-Oct-17 18:41:33

^ Oh, and whilst you're at it, draw a bikini on the larger woman too. smile

Dare you!

queenofthebored Mon 16-Oct-17 18:54:33

I dislike the implication that women are pigs regardless or size

Papafran Mon 16-Oct-17 18:56:20

Nice. Skinnypigs. YANBU by the way. I think this is much worse than the 'are you bikini-ready' advert on the tube.

QueenCuntyFlippers Mon 16-Oct-17 18:57:14

It's a really good and popular exercise class where I live. (misses the point, entirely)

Fekko Mon 16-Oct-17 18:58:20

It's not just the ad but that awful name.

ThaliaLuxurySpa Mon 16-Oct-17 18:59:48

OP, on second thoughts, add a blow-up of this magazine cover too.

That would actually encourage and inspire girls confronted by it bang opposite their school to stay active and fit, whatever their size...not buy into the whole only slim (or rather skinny, according to the company's name) is considered 'acceptable'. And feel ashamed/ be put off exercise altogether.

angry

Banderwassnatched Mon 16-Oct-17 19:01:13

Yes I thought an edit to the effect of 'Skinnypigs will make you hate yourself' might make the point.

I don't really care if they are popular. I am a member of YMCA gym and if they advertised themselves this way I'd still have a problem. It's not about their product, it is about this message.

Banderwassnatched Mon 16-Oct-17 19:02:01

TLS- love it!

EchidnasPhone Mon 16-Oct-17 19:02:33

That's a horrid ad. Yes I would complain. Fat shaming larger women as pigs is how I interpret it.

WashingMatilda Mon 16-Oct-17 19:03:31

YANBU. What a crock. agree with the graffiti idea

WashingMatilda Mon 16-Oct-17 19:05:04

Thalia is that a genuine magazine or was it a mock up in reaction to another magazine? Looks great if it's real!

acatcalledjohn Mon 16-Oct-17 19:05:16

If it's a good class then they are spectacularly missing the mark with their advertising.

A) only women need to look good
B) you're a fat pig
C) you need to conform

Fat is not healthy, no. But this is fat shaming.

munchkinmaster Mon 16-Oct-17 19:05:49

Skinny pigs will make you fit for the male gaze.

Surely that's the implication of look better naked.

Sort yourself out piglets!

starzig Mon 16-Oct-17 19:06:22

Sorry. I just laughed. I find it hilarious

ThaliaLuxurySpa Mon 16-Oct-17 19:09:12

WashingMatilda,

Nope, was genuine. Hooray.
www.healthista.com/the-rise-of-the-fit-fat-girl-meet-the-curvy-women-finally-proving-that-fat-does-not-mean-unfit/

CommonFishDiseases Mon 16-Oct-17 19:12:33

YANBU and yes, complain! It is offensive. Implies women are pigs as Queen says. And implies that plus size women could never look good naked. Horrible.

SummatFishyEre Mon 16-Oct-17 19:15:04

What a shitty ad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now