Talk

Advanced search

To be so upset with the NHS/implant removal

(21 Posts)
anon97528996 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:57:18

I’ve just been turned away by my local clinic for the 5th time. Apparently they stopped taking appointments 2 hours before they close. Work let me leave early for this today, I’m out of annual leave. The clinic I used last time, which was furthers away but with longer hours, has closed due to lack of funding. The time before that, my GP did it but apparently they don’t any more. For the past year I’ve had a 12 day cycle - 6 days on period, 6 days off, PMS and cramps at full whack. It looks like my best option is to go to the GP (3 week wait!) and get a prescription for the pill, although that doesn’t help remove the implant I have now.

This isn’t me having a go at the NHS - when it works, it’s great. If I have to use condoms, fine. It’s probably the near-perpetual PMS, but I cried leaving the clinic today. I’ve suffered through this horrible implant in exchange for its trustworthiness, now it’s expired it just feels like it’s torturing me through hormones. I can’t find any private clinics and doubt I could afford them anyway. Ive told DP he’ll have to take it out with a scalpel and some vodka.

hiyasminitsme Mon 16-Oct-17 18:00:40

We lose money on implant removal now (GP) it's ridiculous how the funding has been cut.

sayyouwill Mon 16-Oct-17 18:02:53

I had the implant and I needed it taking out. I was chasing the Drs for nearly 4 months before I threatened to cut it out myself and go to A&E for stitches.
The hormones were driving me wild and I probably would have done it too!

MrsEight Mon 16-Oct-17 18:03:24

If it has expired surely the hormones won’t be affecting you anymore....?

IndianaMoleWoman Mon 16-Oct-17 18:04:46

Surely if it is expired it should no longer be releasing hormones, so you need to see your GP regardless, at the very least to discuss contraceptive options. In your situation I would make a GP appointment, phone in sick and go and wait in the clinic either before or after the GP appointment (presumably they only see people same day). Then you could get everything done with o my one day of work lost.

How have you put up with this for a year? It sounds terrible flowers

Shemozzle Mon 16-Oct-17 18:07:20

When I wanted to ttc DC3 I had to wait 3 months for an appointment to get it removed. It was gutting.

Outbackshack Mon 16-Oct-17 18:11:01

My gp wouldn't take out as wasn't at end of the 2 year despite the fact that I had been consistently on for 6 months....6 bloody months. I ended up at a family planning clinic to get it removed. Might be worth looking into?

Scribblegirl Mon 16-Oct-17 18:12:08

I have to admit, this was part of my thinking when I didn't get another implant put in at 24 and a half, because I knew I wouldn't be able to use Brook Clinics after I was 25 and they were the only place I could find that would take them out after Implant 1 and Implant 2 ran out at 21 and 24.

missnevermind Mon 16-Oct-17 18:13:26

My doctors will see anybody for the CASH clinic - Contraceptive and Sexual Health - You do not have to be registered with them and I always have my implants done there.

See if you can phone around some large practices to see if they do the same

karalime Mon 16-Oct-17 18:20:06

I'm sorry you are having such a rubbish time. I'm guessing you went to the walk in? There are only any good if you show up at the start really, because the staff have to get through everyone before the end.

When my implant run out I had no problem - I called my local family planning clinic and they gave me a choice of appointments. This was only last year as well.

Try giving them a ring instead.

QuietNinjaTardis Mon 16-Oct-17 18:23:46

Fuck me. What's the world coming to when you can't have a foreign body removed because you haven't had it in long enough or whatever. I had the implant and after 3 months of constant bleeding and psycho hormones I demanded they take it out. I'd have been seriously fucked off if they'd refused.

HelenaDove Mon 16-Oct-17 18:27:01

I had the first one Norplant fitted back in 1994. Had to have it removed back in 1997 at the FPC because the GP surgery didnt remove them.

Seems not much has changed.

anon97528996 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:47:52

Will definitely look up family planning clinics thanks so much!! No DC so I’m only familliar with the sexual health ones blush

I’ve never had a problem finding appointments for the last two but this really left me feeling like I had nowhere to turn - again I would never take the NHS for granted but there is zero education for what your options are when they let you down.

L238 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:57:56

It isn’t the NHS - sexual health and family planning clinics are the responsibility of your local authority, just like bin collection and potholes. This is since the Health & Social Care Act a few years back. There’s been ridiculous cuts to funding despite rising demand - mostly because the govt & local authorities bank on people not wanting to publicly make a fuss. And yes, as someone else says there is v little incentive for GPs to get involved in contraception.

I’m sorry it’s been so hard for you OP. There may be a separate local family planning clinic but increasingly they are integrating with sexual health (not everywhere but in a lot of areas). I would hope that the clinic that you tried today could offer you some kind of booked appointment if they’ve turned you away so many times - that’s what we do at my clinic.
If it’s really your only option it might be worth contacting the clinic and trying to speak to someone senior? I think it’s a legitimate complaint! Good luck

Namechangetempissue Mon 16-Oct-17 19:09:29

I don't know why anyone still has these horrendous things fitted. I know not one person who hasn't had an absolute nightmare after having the implant -from spotting permanently for months, severe pain and cramps, acne, weight gain, depression...then not having the option to get it taken out when requested. Two of my friends took their own out in desperation 😔😣.

DailyMailReadersAreThick Mon 16-Oct-17 19:22:45

I've had mine removed and replaced twice, both cases in sexual health/family planning clinics. My GP surgery don't offer it either. You can search for somewhere near you, OP: www.nhs.uk/livewell/sexualhealthtopics/pages/sexual-health-hub.aspx

Most of them offer weekend or evening appointments and are generally much quicker at getting you seen than a GP.

Good luck!

DailyMailReadersAreThick Mon 16-Oct-17 19:23:47

I don't know why anyone still has these horrendous things fitted. I've had three because they're fantastic for me. I get one light period a year and much reduced PMS symptoms.

TheGhostsOfPresidentsYetToCome Mon 16-Oct-17 19:52:09

Fantastic for me too. No periods at all and no awful headaches like on the pill.

SayrraT Mon 16-Oct-17 19:52:34

name I've had four and love them, never had any of the problems you've outlined (I was already fat when I got the first one grin).

anon I've had all of mine put in/taken out at the family planning clinic within days of calling. I'm in Scotland though so not sure if it's different here.

Btw, I went to family planning because I was planning on not having a family. They are not just for when you want to start a family as far as I am aware.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Ttbb Mon 16-Oct-17 19:53:06

Well you should be having a go at the NHS-clearly it doesn't work. This would never happen in a country with a proper healthcare system like Australia. Before moving to Britain I wouldn't have believed you if you told me that the above happened to you in first world country not at war.

AccrualIntentions Mon 16-Oct-17 19:58:36

I go to the local sexual health clinic for all contraceptive stuff like coil fittings, smear tests etc. It means sitting in the waiting room with a load of shifty looking teenagers there for STI tests (not that there's any shame in that whatsoever, I had plenty of checkups in my single days) but near me they can always fit you in same day if you can wait, or with an appointment within a couple of weeks if you need to go at a specific time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now