Talk

Advanced search

To ask about your cosmetic dental work?

(26 Posts)
naffteeth Mon 16-Oct-17 17:37:13

I would love any opinions on this.

I have fairly straight teeth as had braces as a teenager, though they have moved a little over the years. My teeth are naturally on the slightly yellow side but this has gotten much worse over the years. I have quite a bit of enamel erosion that has caused my teeth to basically look more yellow/ shabby and discoloured over time. I have them very well cleaned by a hygienist and I look after them well.

I would love to have some work done to them to make them appear nicer as I have become conscious of them and think they really age me. I don't think bleaching is an option because of the enamel erosion. Some form of veneer may be and I believe there is a less invasive version of this now. Has anybody had anything done that they would recommend? Or have any advice?

naffteeth Mon 16-Oct-17 17:49:03

Anyone?

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 16-Oct-17 17:56:00

I've had veneers done on my top teeth and even dentists have not been able to tell until they examine my teeth and told they are he best they have seen and often told I have nice teeth

Had them 12 years now no problems one slightly chipped after I fell over and hit my mouth (my first thought was my veneers my veneers) I did pay around £6k for them wish I had money like that now and very happy with with worth paying out for more expensive ones

I did walk around like > grin after having them done for a good few months

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 16-Oct-17 17:57:22

And they don't stain I drink a lot of tea and I drink red wine (not much) only down side is food is more likely to stick to them especially spinach confused blush

naffteeth Mon 16-Oct-17 18:01:50

Wow that's a very positive story. I realise there is a lot of $$$ involved but I'm on a decent salary at this stage (finally) and don't spend a lot on myself and if I could get a good few years out of them and a good result I think it would make a difference. I am conscious of them. I would be showing them off too! Could I ask if you got them done in the UK or if you went abroad?

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 16-Oct-17 18:04:35

U.K.

I know people who have had them done abroad and well maybe they went to the same place as Rylan Clark

I shall pm you

EZA15 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:06:25

Could you pm me please too?

EZA15 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:06:39

(sorry to hijack the thread op)

dizzy174 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:06:55

you would wear them everyday so would get your monies worth out of them - go for it

naffteeth Mon 16-Oct-17 18:16:34

Thank you so much. And that's a very good point about wearing them every day. They must be one of the most anti-ageing things you can do, if you have really naff discoloured teeth like I do. Nothing says miles on the clock quite like it.

naffteeth Mon 16-Oct-17 18:19:33

OMG just looked up who Rylan was! NOT the look I had in mind obviously grin

NerNerNerNerBATMAN Mon 16-Oct-17 18:23:17

I had this issue and spent £4K on Invisalign + whitening. Very happy with the result.

If I could turn back time I'd tell 16 year old me to wear my retainers religiously!

TheSnowFairy Mon 16-Oct-17 18:24:11

I have long term discolouration on my teeth and have veneers on the top - also cost thousands - worth every penny. They have literally changed my life 😁 (<- me with veneers!)

mishfish Mon 16-Oct-17 18:25:50

Have you whitened them professionally? Maybe worth considering before spending £££ on veneers?

And absolutely avoid Rylan Clarke's dentist at all costs grin

naffteeth Mon 16-Oct-17 18:26:17

I would go for invisalign and whitening over veneers if I thought that would work. Its just that I had braces, wore the retainers etc but they shifted probably due to pregnancy in the end I was told. I can't see whitening working on teeth with weak enamel as surely they would dissolve. I need to seek advice from a dentist but they're all kind of selling this stuff and its hard to know who to listen to....

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 16-Oct-17 18:34:40

Sorry can't find the company details online. It was a dentist called Dentics addresses are still up but it looks as though they no longer exist

shock hopes mine don't suddenly fall out

Ditsy1980 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:35:33

I have enamel erosion and my dentist told me whitening wouldn't work, would be painful and would massive increase sensitivity. I'm currently saving for veneers!

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 16-Oct-17 18:36:27

Mine were a little crooked and I wanted perfect teeth

If they were straight I would have had them whitened

naffteeth Mon 16-Oct-17 18:37:39

Its a shame isn't it Ditsy1980. I have no idea why the enamel erosion is even there. It does seem to run in my family and I have been told lots of different reasons for it by different dentists over the years. None of them seem to know! But it ruins your teeth unfortunately.

msannabella Mon 16-Oct-17 18:39:48

I had a similar brave to invisalign then had my teeth whitened and veneers on front 4. They cost a bit, around £1000 for the brace and 500 each for 4 veneers. I love them, they're so natural that like pp even dentists can't tell till they examine them. I had them done in uk and it's worth shipping around and looking at previous work done by the dentist. As said before, you don't want to look like rylan!
Worth looking into whitening, my teeth were weakened from treatment when a child but I still could get them whitened.

msannabella Mon 16-Oct-17 18:40:02

*brace

ConciseandNice Mon 16-Oct-17 18:40:40

I had two beautiful, ceramic veneers about 15 years ago now and they were a bargain at £250 each. They changed my life. I literally have smiled normally ever since. I love them so much, they would have been worth many times more what I paid. I also had my teeth whitened for about the same price, but the veneers have been worth their weight in gold. People are saying much more in previous posts, but I would suggest they are worth even that!!

naffteeth Mon 16-Oct-17 18:51:21

Thanks for all the encouragement. I need to do a bit more research and arrange some consultations.

Birdsgottafly Mon 16-Oct-17 18:53:48

Conciseandnice, you've been fortunate.

I loved my veneers but they only lasted 15 years and now I have missing teeth.

I'm going to get implants, but they only last around 20 years max, so by 70, I'll be toothless again.

OP, I know you don't like your teeth, but do your research.

If I had known that my veneers would only last that length of time, I wouldn't have had them done.

EZA15 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:09:24

Even if you used the same dentist as Rylan - it would possibly be a different type of procedure (there are so many out there) that it wouldn’t necessarily look like his?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now