Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DP and work!

(14 Posts)
StudentMumArghh Mon 16-Oct-17 17:10:28

My GP thinks I have gallstones and has referred me for a scan. He said because of my age, if it is gallstones, I'll have to have my gallbladder removed.

DP is a teacher, would he be able to get a day off on the day if needs be? I've never had surgery before and will want him with me.

BlueSuffragette Mon 16-Oct-17 17:17:42

Yes if he asks the head teacher and explains your op he should be granted a day off ie it's at the heads discretion. Teachers get to have a day off to stay and care for their sick children. Alternatively he could call in sick.

KityGlitr Mon 16-Oct-17 17:18:48

How on earth would we know what your DP's workplace's leave policy is? I assume he'd have to take it as a day's leave which will depend on whether he books it far enough in advance and whether anyone else already has it off.

You're being a bit precious expecting him to be there for the whole time btw, other than dropping you off and picking you up, unless someone else can do that if he's busy. This is a routine thing in hospitals and I assure you they'll have no time for fussing relatives trying to come to the bedside while you wake up etc. You'll say bye to him in the waiting room then not see him again until you're ready to be discharged usually. He won't actually be there when you come round or are recovering for a couple hours from the anaesthetic.

NancyDonahue Mon 16-Oct-17 17:20:24

He'll have to put in a request I guess. If it's not urgent could you ask for a date during school holidays? It would be a good idea to ask other family/friends if they could be with you in case he can't.

19lottie82 Mon 16-Oct-17 17:20:49

Do you not have anyone else that can take you home from hospital and help you until your DP is home from work?

If there really is no one else then as advised your DP needs to speak to the head and see if they can make an exception for one day .

mirime Mon 16-Oct-17 17:21:01

If it's anything like the the hospital I had surgery at last year he won't be able to stay with you while you wait to go to theatre.

If you have your op in the afternoon you might also be better off having him home with you the next day if possible as I was advised I shouldn't be left on my own for a couple of days afterwards.

Witsender Mon 16-Oct-17 17:24:11

Every school I have worked in wouldn't have an issue with this and rightly so.

PotteringAlong Mon 16-Oct-17 17:27:05

It's not that the school won't allow it but the hospital won't. You're an adult having routine day surgery. I wasn't allowed to stay with my DH when he had his gallbladder out; I'd be amazed if he was allowed to be on the ward with you.

TwatteryFlowers Mon 16-Oct-17 17:33:09

Dh wasn't allowed on the ward with me when I had my gallbladder out but he took that day and the following day off because they didn't know when I'd need to be picked up (as it turned out I didn't leave until 8pm) and, as I'd had a general anaesthetic, I couldn't be left on my own for the next 24 hours. Most headteachers that I've worked with would be fine with letting a teacher have the time off under those circumstances but it might be unpaid leave.

StudentMumArghh Mon 16-Oct-17 17:36:58

Ok I understand he might not be allowed on the ward etc, but I'll need him to drop off/pick up. My hospital is pretty good with allowing partners with you etc. I remember when my DF and DS had surgery. Their partners were there.

TittyGolightly Mon 16-Oct-17 17:39:47

Alternatively he could call in sick. 🙄

StudentMumArghh Mon 16-Oct-17 18:07:51

Thanks all!

RainyDayBear Mon 16-Oct-17 18:16:06

I'm a teacher and have known colleagues to (quite rightly) be given time off when their partner was having an operation. Any reasonable head should grant it!

Liverbird77 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:19:50

This has happened to me. I was 27 and single. I just did it by myself. Got a cab back from the hospital. My parents were out of the country and I am an only child. There was no one to help. A friend came over for two days after because I couldn't really get to the ships/carry shopping. It was fine. He'll be around to look after you afterwards, that's the main thing. I honestly don't see why he needs to be there for the operation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now