Talk

Advanced search

My employer made me cry (in a nice way)

(7 Posts)
StinkyBullDog Mon 16-Oct-17 12:39:28

I started a cleaning business a few months back and have been scraping by with it.

Last week I secured a 5 day a week contract with a wealthy family cleaning their (huge) estate. Takes me all morning to do everything.

On Friday I was down in the dumps, got home to my shitty house, boiler had broken so it was freezing and I just started ranting about how unfair the whole system was, that it often doesn't matter how hard you work, you'll never get anywhere whilst other people live in the lap of luxury in huge mansions and everything they need on tap. I KNOW I as being unreasonable but I was just so fed up.

This morning I got to the house I was cleaning to find a tray of coffee, tea and biscuits laid out and a note saying "sorry I was away last week, thanks for all your hard work, please help yourself x" it's almost like she'd heard me ranting from my house!!

Went to the kids rooms and each had drawn me a little picture and a note saying "thank you for cleaning my room" with a muffin each that they had presumably made themselves. I ended up crying.

What do you even do in that situation? Write a note back or just carry on as you were?? Told DH and he said I'm being daft giving it too much thought but it has really boosted me.

Rachie1973 Mon 16-Oct-17 12:41:20

I'd write a little note back saying that you'd been having a really awful day last week, so to come in to such thoughtful items has made your week.

It's always nice to be appreciated.

Only1scoop Mon 16-Oct-17 12:48:26

A little note back to the kids saying how you loved the cakes.

Good luck with it all they sound very appreciative of having you.

ThePinkOcelot Mon 16-Oct-17 13:08:15

Awwww, that's so nice xx

UnicornRainbowColours Mon 16-Oct-17 13:39:27

That’s lovely smile) I always encourage my charge to say goodbye and thank you to our cleaner. And offer her drinks etc. It’s the small things that help us feel appreciated.

I’m a nanny and my bosses do things like this and it does helps

EvilDoctorBallerinaVampireDuck Mon 16-Oct-17 13:41:36

Aaww I'm welling up! 😭

Hidingalion Mon 16-Oct-17 14:27:42

This is so nice. I am going to get my kids to do the same for our lovely hardworking cleaner. Thank you for sharing and reminding me we all should show appreciation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now