Talk

Advanced search

To ask what's on your thanksgiving menu this year?

(84 Posts)
AllRoadsLeadBackToRadley Mon 16-Oct-17 10:04:36

For those who celebrate.

Soul food here- ribs, chicken wings, mac and cheese, etc.

notagain123456 Tue 17-Oct-17 11:39:26

i'm in the UK and would love to go to a thanksgiving meal is the USA. We tried to have our own a couple of years ago with pumpkin soup followed by a turkey dinner but yours sounds lovely!

MissConductUS Tue 17-Oct-17 11:48:13

My SIL is cooking, probably roast turkey. I'll bring holiday mashed potatoes (mashed with sour cream, butter and cream cheese), green beans in lemon butter and I'll make an apple pie with crumb topping.

I'll send DH to the fancy Italian bakery to get sourdough and pumpernickel bread and maybe a baguette.

The holiday potatoes are heavenly. I'll post the recipe later if anyone wants it.

Kursk Tue 17-Oct-17 11:53:47

Over here in the US we will have Turkey, roast potatoes, mash potatoes, beans, carrots peas Brussels sprouts (with maple and bacon) and a ham.

After we have apple, blueberry and pumpkin pies.

We do a pot luck lunch. A family member agrees to host it, then everyone else turns up with an item. Therefore no one has all the work/cost.

pallisers Tue 17-Oct-17 11:55:23

I'm cooking - usually do a hybrid of american thanksgiving and irish christmas dinner (meaning I don't have to cook a horrible turkey for xmas):

turkey, gravy (starting freezing home made stock this week), stuffing, sausage stuffing
mashed potatoes (I'm doing Mary Berry's heavenly gratin which we count as mashed)
potato dauphonois made with bacon - had it at a friends house and it is something to be thankful for
roast potatoes
green beans with bacon and tomatoes
peas
roast squash
blueberry, pecan and apple pies.

I love thanksgiving. Four days of no pressure, no gifts to buy, nothing to do but have a lovely dinner and hang out with family and friends.

Theresamayscough Tue 17-Oct-17 11:56:59

For brits do you mean Christmas dinner or is thanksgiving now a thing here? Your menu sounds lovely op by the way.

sonlypuppyfat Tue 17-Oct-17 11:57:19

I'm a member of a couple of penpal groups on Facebook and the amount of Americans who are astounded that the rest of the world doesn't celebrate thanksgiving is amazing

makeourfuture Tue 17-Oct-17 11:59:54

Green bean casserole!

BMW6 Tue 17-Oct-17 12:01:07

Lol - what is USA doing to celebrate Guy Fawkes / bonfire night?

Ohyesiam Tue 17-Oct-17 12:04:09

What's mac?

MrsCharlieD Tue 17-Oct-17 12:12:40

Macaroni @ohyesiam

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 17-Oct-17 12:31:26

My aunt mashes her Thanksgiving sweet potatoes with plenty of butter, salt and pepper and then tops with marshmallows and grills until melted/burnt.

MissConductUS Tue 17-Oct-17 12:39:58

the amount of Americans who are astounded that the rest of the world doesn't celebrate thanksgiving is amazing

The first year DH was working in London he apparently did a fair amount of complaining about missing Thanksgiving (mostly the days off, not the meal). So his lovely office mates found an American restaurant that served a traditional American thanksgiving meal and took him there for a long boozy lunch as a surprise.

I'm lucky he didn't marry an English girl while he was over there.smile

Cavender Tue 17-Oct-17 12:44:29

We’re going out this year so no cooking!

BMW we can’t celebrate Bonfire night here as my area doesn’t allow private fireworks. If it’s not too warm for the fire pit we’ll toast some marshmallows.

RaininSummer Tue 17-Oct-17 12:55:05

Sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows is truly scary and doubly so if that is part of the savoury course.

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 17-Oct-17 12:58:24

The number of people who assume everyone on Mumsnet is British is also amazing!

5foot5 Tue 17-Oct-17 13:10:11

A Brit here who has always lived in the UK. However, I have always wondered - if turkey is the traditional Thanksgiving Dinner what do you have at Christmas? Is it the same, or a different traditional meal, or is there not one fixed thing for Christmas over there?

BeachyKeen Tue 17-Oct-17 13:21:34

I'm Canadian, so we had ours last week. We had roast turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, carrots, peas pudding, baby peas, broccoli, and bread rolls, and for dessert we had apple pie and pumpkin pie.

pallisers Tue 17-Oct-17 13:27:04

Lol - what is USA doing to celebrate Guy Fawkes / bonfire night?

I go to a Guy Fawkes party in the US every year. Complete with morris dancers.

5foot one of the nicest things about thanksgiving turkey is it frees you up to have other things for xmas. Loads of people still do turkey but roast beef is also a big thing. We usually do beef wellington or prime rib for christmas. I'm not a big fan of turkey.

Theresamayscough Tue 17-Oct-17 13:28:19

Yes but that’s Christmas dinner too So do you have the same menu for both or are there traditional unique dishes for both.

Am not liking all this bloody cooking mind you!

pallisers Tue 17-Oct-17 13:28:36

Also, christmas dinner does depend on your background/family traditions - but thanksgiving is pretty much fixed on turkey. I know several italian-americans who do the seven fishes dinner on christmas eve (we tried it one year - only got to 7 by some imaginative accounting)

MissConductUS Tue 17-Oct-17 13:29:18

if turkey is the traditional Thanksgiving Dinner what do you have at Christmas? Is it the same, or a different traditional meal, or is there not one fixed thing for Christmas over there?

Some will have turkey again, but very few. Most people just don't care for turkey that much. Ham and a prime rib roast of beef are both popular for Christmas. I'd going to ask DH to do a Chateaubriand (tenderloin of beef) roast this year. He did one last year with mushrooms and garlic and it was a huge hit.

Most of my Jewish friends go out for Chinese food on Christmas. smile

Someoneasdumbasthis Tue 17-Oct-17 13:34:11

I can't quite get over the number and variety of potatoes in the menus?

NorksAkimbo72 Tue 17-Oct-17 13:34:30

I love this thread! I am an American living in the UK (12 years now), and I miss Thanksgiving most.
To answer a pp question: my family back home rarely has turkey for Christmas...it's usually a nice ham or roast beef on Christmas day.
I'm doing thanksgiving just for my little family (used to celebrate with all DH's family, but I'm low contact with them now). We'll be having: roast turkey, my grandmother's sausage stuffing recipe, butternut squash, green beans, mashed potato, broccoli cheese casserole, Apple and pumpkin pies. I can't wait!

pallisers Tue 17-Oct-17 13:42:12

Most of my Jewish friends go out for Chinese food on Christmas. smile

I so want to do this one year.

For most americans mashed potatoes are the essential thanksgiving potatoes. I don't think many would do roast. I couldn't have a celebration dinner without roast but couldn't leave mashed off a thanksgiving menu and then who doesn't want gratin or dauphanois??? I love the US food magazines like Saveur or Bon Appetit around thanksgiving - I have kept mine for the past 20 plus years and look through them every year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now