Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To just ask for anti-depressants?

(11 Posts)
PlumFairy2014 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:48:38

I have had a bad year, I'm at breaking point.
I have been before, they referred me and they said CBT won't help you have to go for counselling, the counselling needed paying for and I cannot afford it right now. This is all that's offered in my area.
I really need to keep working and functioning. Can I just go and say I need help to function?

PlumFairy2014 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:49:45

To the GO I mean.

PlumFairy2014 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:49:54

*GP

FleetwoodMacDonalds Sun 15-Oct-17 21:50:34

I'm so sorry to hear you feel this way. I think the way you are talking just now makes it clear that you would benefit from some medication. Go to your GP and say exactly what you have said here. I really hope you are okay, it is so awful to feel this way. PM me if you ever need to chat flowers

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Sun 15-Oct-17 22:05:58

I went in and asked for them and they gave them me but I had previously been on them and come off the under the gp (obviously coming off them didn’t work for me)
I’d just go and ask worse they can do is say no! I will warn you that they can make you feel worse before you feel better and dosages may take a while to get right and also they might not work for you.
I think a good chat with the gp would be good and go from there

loveisasecondhandemotion Sun 15-Oct-17 22:09:10

Hi op, sorry you're feeling so bad.
I'm on anti depressants and they have been a saviour for me.

However, they do take a while to get into your system ( think weeks rather than days ) and sometimes you need to try a few different ones as they don't all agree with people:

I started on fluoxetine and after 18 months was changed to venlafaxine which have been much better for me.

Please do go and speak to your doctor, don't suffer in silence flowers

PlumFairy2014 Mon 16-Oct-17 08:20:48

I am going to call them this morning and try to see someone.
I am up, but we're on the sofa eating breakfast and watching cartoons which I know isn't a great start to the day for DD.... sad

Addictedtocustardcreams Mon 16-Oct-17 08:51:16

I am a GP, please do go and ask your GP for them. I think it’s generally helpful if a patient says what they would like or thought would help, it can be then used as a starting point for a conversation. They may or may not be right for you but at least your GP can explain why. It might be worth asking some more about the counselling as what you have described wouldn’t be usual in my area (although it does vary hugely). Good luck.

kali110 Mon 16-Oct-17 08:55:01

Id ask. Cbt, therapy does not work for everyone. Medication is the only thing thats worked for me.

KrayKray00 Mon 16-Oct-17 08:56:34

I went to my GP after trying rescue remedy, St. John’s worts, tablets from Holland and Barrett. I told him I’ve tried them all and nothing is doing anything for me. He asked me if I am looking for medication and I said yes. I don’t feel depressed (but I have suffered with depression) but I feel extremely anxious. He gave me antidepressants. Sertraline(?)
I feel slightly better but I have lost my appetite and I keep having awful nightmares. I have a check up tomorrow and I shall mention this and see what he says

Good luck it os a horrible feeling, I hope you feel better soon and get the right help and support 😊

Maddiemademe Mon 16-Oct-17 10:07:59

I have suffered with depression for 12 years and anxiety the last 3. I only started medication about 4 months ago and they have helped a lot, even though not quite as effective on the depression at the moment so going to ask to up my dose.

Don't suffer in silence like I did for so long. Also why do you think watching some cartoons is a bad start for your DD? Anxiety and depression can have a way of making you feel bad about all your life choices when it sounds ok to me. God, if anyone tried to stop my children watching cartoons when they wake up there would be world war 3 grin!

Medication makes a huge difference but as a pp has said, they do take a few weeks to become effective. It's very much worth it though. I hope you can get an appointment today. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now