Talk

Advanced search

To say not to landlord over this

(27 Posts)
HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Sun 15-Oct-17 21:00:46

So we've given notice on our flat which runs out on the 1st of November. We are moving into our new home next Friday but it will be abut of a staggered move and will be bringing stuff across for a short while as this seems easier.

Landlord wants to know if he can have the keys back after we vacate the property (as in this weekend) so he can have work done on the property. Are we being unreasonable to say no to this unless he refunds us a week or so's rent?

Papafran Sun 15-Oct-17 21:02:35

YANBU. If he is making you vacate early, you should get a weeks rent refunded.

Papafran Sun 15-Oct-17 21:04:21

I think I remember you actually. Did you not have that dickhead landlord/estate agent who insisted that he didn't have to give you notice for entering the property or something?

Urubu Sun 15-Oct-17 21:16:46

YANBU
He can't have it both ways, if he wants the keys early he has to refund rent

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 15-Oct-17 21:18:49

Of course they should pro rate the rent if they want in early.

nightshade Sun 15-Oct-17 21:23:41

I don't rent but surely you pay month by month not just for part of the month...

You could have the keys up until the end of the month as per your contract but if you've chosen not to be there for a week less then what is the problem in the landlord having them?..

It would be nice if offered a part refund but I don't think he's obliged to?

Also for insurance purposes are you or landlord liable for a property that is lying empty???

HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Sun 15-Oct-17 21:25:09

papa no that wasn't me.

He's not been an awful landlord but we've had our niggles and he's been very slow to get sort out issues in the past such as when the flat above was leaking in.

Papafran Sun 15-Oct-17 21:26:40

Ah sorry, I am confusing it with someone else

NotEnglish Sun 15-Oct-17 21:30:32

No, not unreasonable at all!
You can of course offer him to vacate earlier if that suits you, in exchange for him paying you back the rent for the time he has the keys back before the contract ends.

Orangebird69 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:31:20

Yanbu. He can't have the rent and the keys. One or the other OP.

Darkstar4855 Sun 15-Oct-17 21:35:12

If it was me I would offer to give the keys back early in exchange for a refund, surely it's worth a try? However bear in mind you would then be under pressure to make sure the move was done on time rather than having that extra bit of slack just in case.

If the landlord said no to the refund but the flat was definitely empty and I'd finished moving before the contract actually finished I would probably let him have them early anyway as it wouldn't make any difference to me at that stage anyway.

Glumglowworm Sun 15-Oct-17 21:35:14

Yanbu

You're paying for quiet enjoyment of the property until your the end of the notice period

If it suits you, then agree to hand in the keys early in exchange for a pro-rata refund of rent. If it doesn't suit you (if you'll still be moving stuff and cleaning) then don't do it.

expatinscotland Sun 15-Oct-17 21:35:52

Nope. If you pay through the end of the month, then he doesn't get the rent and to do what he wants in the property as well.

Apileofballyhoo Sun 15-Oct-17 21:38:14

I wouldn't consider you had vacated till all your stuff is out tbh, regardless of where you are sleeping. I wouldn't have a problem with handing back the keys early if I was finished moving. But my stuff wouldn't be out till 31st Oct.

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 15-Oct-17 21:38:50

nightshade no the landlord is under no obligation to refund a weeks rent just like op is under no obligation to vacate a week early for him to have work done...its called negotiating....that is kind of the point confused

Ttbb Sun 15-Oct-17 21:38:51

YANBU-does he expect you to hand in your keys when you go on holiday too? You maynit be there, but your stuff will hence you wouldn't have actually moved out. Just explain that to him.

RenterNomad Sun 15-Oct-17 21:39:11

You're more likely to get your deposit back if yu can clean properly and set things to rights. That will give you a chsnce to take pictures of the property's condition, as well. Definitely don't give up the keys early if you're not even getting a rent rebate!

AnnieAnoniMouse Sun 15-Oct-17 21:39:29

I guess he doesn't know you aren't actually moving everything out & figures he might as well get the work done while it's empty.

Personally I wouldn't mind. I'd just move the stuff over the weekend & do the handback Sunday. I can't see the point in dragging it out.

However, if you don't want to, just tell him no as you're not properly vacating it until the following week...unless he feels like offering you a cash incentive to do it all this weekend.

HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Sun 15-Oct-17 21:43:43

Well he 'can't remember what he's done with our deposit' but thats a separate issue we're seeking legal advice over.

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 15-Oct-17 21:44:44

You will be quids in if he hasn't put it into a scheme OP

Bunbunbunny Sun 15-Oct-17 21:46:07

If he hasn’t registered your deposit you can sue him for 3xs the amount. He can’t make you hand over keys.

Maelstrop Sun 15-Oct-17 21:49:25

Can't remember what he's done with the deposit?! What the fuck?! No keys back til the 1st November, move gradually as you planned.

HoneyIshrunkthebiscuit Sun 15-Oct-17 21:55:43

we know which is why we are seeking legal advice.

MissWimpyDimple Sun 15-Oct-17 21:56:21

Wow. This is really something!

You clearly know that if he didn’t register your deposit within 30 days in one of the schemes then he is in serious trouble.
Don’t let that one go!

As for getting in before the end of your tenancy, there is no middle ground. Either you return keys and he returns any additional rent and the contract is surrendered. (This is important as otherwise you will be paying council tax and utilities while he is in there working).

Other option is that he does not get access at all to the property until the day your contract ends. Given the deposit thing, I would say stick with that. He is going to have to pay you a lot of money as it is.

carefreeeee Sun 15-Oct-17 21:57:18

Don't understand... If you give the keys back you won't be able to get in but your stuff will still be there? Has there been a miscommunication?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now