Talk

Advanced search

to wear this ivory/white dress to a wedding

(66 Posts)
happystrummer Sun 15-Oct-17 19:52:37

I bought this for a wedding...starting to fret that it I shouldn't wear it as its apparently not etiquette to wear white to a wedding? Is there enough colour in it to get away with it?

Sunnyjac Sun 15-Oct-17 19:53:40

Looks fine to me!

StickThatInYourPipe Sun 15-Oct-17 19:54:03

It's a lovey dress but personally I wouldn't wear it as a guest to a wedding it's very poor etiquette to wear white to someone else wedding

LooksLikeImStuckHere Sun 15-Oct-17 19:54:50

I think it's fine!

Flisspaps Sun 15-Oct-17 19:55:11

That’s a floral dress, not a white dress

ShirleyPhallus Sun 15-Oct-17 19:55:15

No it's fine. You're not gonna upstage the bride.

Probably wouldn't wear a lace veil though or carry a bouquet of flowers

SpinMill Sun 15-Oct-17 19:55:16

I think it's fine, I wouldn't even class it as white, with the coloured flowers on.

AnonEvent Sun 15-Oct-17 19:55:20

It depends on the bride and groom and type of wedding.

If it's a modern (non traditional) wedding, I'd think it's fine. It doesn't look bridal.

If it's a more traditional do, I'd steer clear - you don't want great aunt Alice commenting on it. And some people think it's bad luck/disrespectful even if the dress is not at all bridal (in much the same vein as they'd disapprove of you wearing black at that type of wedding).

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 15-Oct-17 19:55:58

I think it is fine - plain white is a no-no but a white background on a floral dress is fine. No-one will mistake you for the bride!

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 15-Oct-17 19:56:03

With all the colour splashes I think its fine especially if you accessorise with colour too.

Anecdoche Sun 15-Oct-17 19:57:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

yorkshapudding Sun 15-Oct-17 19:57:32

It's fine. Especially if you make sure your bag and shoes aren't white/ivory. With a bright floral pattern it's not like anyone is going to mistake it for a wedding dress.

Mollie85 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:58:49

With a coloured jacket/ shoes/ fascinator or whatever - I think it will be fine.

Just like that - no grin

WorraLiberty Sun 15-Oct-17 19:58:52

That's not a white dress

Wear it, it's lovely.

DarthMaiden Sun 15-Oct-17 19:59:35

I think that dress is fine.

As per a pp it’s a floral dress not a white one - it’s not going to get you mistaken for a member of the wedding party.

IncyWincyGrownUp Sun 15-Oct-17 19:59:57

As another poster has said, that’s not white, it’s floral.

Hotfootit Sun 15-Oct-17 20:00:55

It's fine. And I wouldn't call it a white dress anyway.
As you are slightly concerned, how about you team it with a bag and shoes to match one of the colours in the flowers (looks like red/blue/grey) and a shawl or cardigan to match, especially as it's nearly November!

pieceofpurplesky Sun 15-Oct-17 20:01:20

It’s fine - lovely. Add pink/red/blue wrap.

Marmite27 Sun 15-Oct-17 20:02:10

It’s fine, I’d only stay away from plane white/cream/ivory

WineAndTiramisu Sun 15-Oct-17 20:02:40

Definitely fine, it's a flowery dress, not a white dress. Avoid white handbag or shoes though

happystrummer Sun 15-Oct-17 20:03:00

Thanks all...i was going to wear cerise shoes and bag with it and a cerise pashmina over the top...I dont know the bride or her family (other half is good mates with the groom, who i also know reasonably well
) and dont go to many formalish weddings so don't want to let the side down!
On balance I;ll probably wear it.

Ropsleybunny Sun 15-Oct-17 20:03:23

It's lovely and perfectly appropriate.

babsthebuilder Sun 15-Oct-17 20:03:40

Someone turned up to my evening reception in a completely white dress. Similar style to this but shorter. I didn’t even realise until she was leaving and had a little chuckle to myself. Yours should be completely fine, I agree it’s floral

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sun 15-Oct-17 20:04:20

It's a lovey dress but personally I wouldn't wear it as a guest to a wedding it's very poor etiquette to wear white to someone else wedding

It isn't a white dress. Perfectly fine to wear it. It looks nothing like a wedding dress.

you don't want great aunt Alice commenting on it another fine example of MN casual ageism.

DressedCrab Sun 15-Oct-17 20:04:47

I wouldn't wear it as a guest to a wedding it's very poor etiquette to wear white to someone else wedding

Only if the dress is plain white and/or lacy. Times have moved on since the 1940s.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: