Talk

Advanced search

To have sent dh to bed

(11 Posts)
2ndSopranos Sun 15-Oct-17 19:09:29

He's got some sort of coldy/virus/infection thing and admittedly feels rubbish. I've had virtually no sleep this week due to his tossing and turning and gross hacking and spluttering since Wednesday. I think he has tonsillitis or sinusitis (very prone to that) and could do with a trip to the GP.

He's been lying on the couch coughing his guts up all bloody day. I've been run ragged with our dc. After he spent about 20 minutes removing snot and moaning that all he wanted to do was go to bed I'm afraid I told him to go to bloody bed.

I've been unwell myself - very severe stress with umpteen physical symptoms thereof - and all I've had is "you need to stop worrying so much".

I'm probably very unreasonable but my sympathy is non existent this evening!

GummyGoddess Sun 15-Oct-17 19:13:28

Of course he should be in bed, it's irritating and he's spreading all his germs by taking up the sofa all day!

Has he taken anything for it? If not then he gets no sympathy as it cannot be that bad Glares at DH who likes to "power through" illnesses while complaining how terrible he feels

2ndSopranos Sun 15-Oct-17 19:15:44

Lemsip and a couple of Strepsils.

Hope he stays there tbh. I've just bought Twenty Twelve and I'm desperate to watch it!

2ndSopranos Sun 15-Oct-17 19:17:42

What's slightly worse is that my boss (male) has had a bad cold too and has been equally gross in our unventilated office. There's been no escape.

itsbetterthanabox Sun 15-Oct-17 19:20:02

I don't understand why it's bad to tell him to go to bed when he's ill and saying he himself should be in bed? Surely that's normal

2ndSopranos Sun 15-Oct-17 19:24:18

If I'd have said "You poor thing, you go to bed and rest, I'm sorry you're ill blah blah" that'd be fine.

What I actually said was "WILL YOU JUST TAKE YOUR BLOODY PHLEGM AWAY FROM ME AND GO TO BLOODY BED".

And I didn't actually say it, I hissed it.

WorraLiberty Sun 15-Oct-17 19:26:54

Sod being ill around you

I would have taken myself off to bed ages ago!

2ducks2ducklings Sun 15-Oct-17 19:43:14

I'd have done the same OP. I have zero bedside manner. If my husband is ill I will tell him to stay in bed but while he thinks I'm being sympathetic it's actually because I can't stand having a sickly, moping man child under my feet!
He on the other hand is the most patient person ever when it comes to other people's illnesses. He's been akin to a bloody Saint during my pregnancy and resulting sickness/general feeling of crappiness. So I do feel guilty that I don't reciprocate, but it's just my nature unfortunately.

Belleende Sun 15-Oct-17 19:55:44

Oh god, must be in the water. DP has had a bad back of late, had some treatment this week and was on the mend.

I am 43 and 35 weeks pregnant. We have a high energy toddler. Today he took toddler out in the am, so I had a lovely lie in. I had her from nap to bed.

He decided to do a 9 mile speed walk, and comes back having crocked his back even more, in a foul mood and having a mini crisis about his weight, which has increased since he has been crocked.

I have a scan tomorrow, and may be hauled in for a c section this week. We have no family near to help. So sympathy for him was v low.

He is fantastic about 98% of the time. But the 2% where he decides to have a wobbly, he really does pick his moments.

I sent him to bed, and had to do bath make dinner and put toddler to bed. I was not best pleased, and bedside manner was AWOL. He has his hurt puppy dog eyes on now. Ain't working.

GummyGoddess Sun 15-Oct-17 21:27:28

At least he went, dh rarely goes to bed, if he does then I know he's actually ill. Usually I leave the room and he then follows me about the house while doing his best impression of dying from the plague. If I could get him into the bed and shut him in until he's better I would!

OuchBollocks Sun 15-Oct-17 21:29:35

I've been sending mine to bed a lot lately. He is having the longest bout of man flu since records began and I am bored of his woe is me face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now