Talk

Advanced search

To think you can't seriously be attracted to someone by their smell?

(65 Posts)
dobbyssock Sun 15-Oct-17 16:53:24

My friend has recently gone out for a meal with a work colleague. She says it's odd because when she first saw him at work, she didn't even think she was attracted to him in any way. However, after "smelling" shock him, it was like she fell in love confused she means when he walks past her, etc. apparently it's not a Lynx smell or anything... Whaaat? This isn't a thing, is it?

WhoWants2Know Sun 15-Oct-17 16:54:42

Ooooooh, yes. Definitely a thing.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 15-Oct-17 16:55:03

Yes, it's a thing. Pheramones.

washingmachinefastwash Sun 15-Oct-17 16:55:09

Pheromones. It’s a thing.

ForTheLoveOfSleep Sun 15-Oct-17 16:55:28

Mhm... Most definitely a thing.wink

LaurieFairyCake Sun 15-Oct-17 16:55:59

Yep totally a thing. When I sniff my dhs neck I want to shag him.

dobbyssock Sun 15-Oct-17 16:56:11

Oh, okay grin I thought you'd have to have some form of attraction grin

HermionesRightHook Sun 15-Oct-17 16:56:17

I love the way my DH smells. Not BO smell, just his own skin. I don't think that my sense of smell is acute enough to pick it up from someone just walking past but I don't see why someone else couldn't.

Love51 Sun 15-Oct-17 16:57:09

Yes. They have to smell right.
I also don't get massive crushes on famous people because I don't know how they smell. More important than looks imo.

AnneLovesGilbert Sun 15-Oct-17 16:58:32

Totally a thing.

I once read that you should smell your lover's armpit and you'll know if the relationship has a future.

loveka Sun 15-Oct-17 17:00:48

Yes! It's pheromones.

Undercoverbanana Sun 15-Oct-17 17:03:15

Oh yes. I bury my nose in DP at every opportunity. It makes me feel all loved-up, safe, cosy, happy and a bit sexy. Just behind his ears is my favourite place.

iklboo Sun 15-Oct-17 17:05:29

Oh yes. And you could pick your own DH / DP's t-shirt out of a pile of others by smell alone.

ijustwannadance Sun 15-Oct-17 17:06:51

Yep. We are but animals after all, but most of us wash with scented stuff and use things to mask natural smells nowadays.

MagicFajita Sun 15-Oct-17 17:08:57

I'd say that's normal , I love the way my DP smells. His natural smell is better than any product he wears.

It's kind of like an "attraction" version of the way a parent feels when they sniff their baby's head. I know that's a weird way of putting it!

NewDaddie Sun 15-Oct-17 17:09:34

Dw's hair always smells amazing. Not sure about sexy but it's definitely part of her all round appeal and attractiveness.

sadiemm2 Sun 15-Oct-17 17:11:55

One of the reasons I was attracted to my partner was his smell. He smelt clean, but without nasty boy spray like lynx. Now he smells like Lush, and it's a turn on. Soz.

grumpysquash3 Sun 15-Oct-17 17:17:20

Agree with all the pp.

Oppositely, however lovely someone is, if you just don't like the smell of their skin, it isn't going to happen!

StepAwayFromCake Sun 15-Oct-17 17:17:59

Oh my god, yes grin Fond memories of that first hot summer with dh2b. Still feel that way about his smell.

It's been proven that women who are not using hormonal contraception prefer the smell of men with whom their immune systems are compatible (ie they are more likely to be able to have babies with them).

demirose87 Sun 15-Oct-17 17:25:25

Yes definitely. When I smell my partner's neck or his t shirt near the armpit, I want to just grab him.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 15-Oct-17 17:29:21

I remember some perfume being released when I was a teenager, based on pheromones, supposed to make you irresistible to the opposite sex. I sprayed some of my friends on my wrist one day and got followed home by a pack of..... dogs!
Every scabby stray I passed was very interested indeed. I was glad I hadn’t splashed out on a bottle of my own.

BroomstickOfLove Sun 15-Oct-17 17:29:55

Totally a thing. I live sniffing DP. And I can usually tell when he's ill because he smells all wrong.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Sun 15-Oct-17 17:34:19

https://youtu.be/m9iXlOHtzV4

Perhaps he was wearing this.....?

Moussemoose Sun 15-Oct-17 17:37:31

Yes the ill smell!

I know he is ill before he does because his smell changes.

Love sniffing DP. Love it. Love. It. Smell mmmmmmmmmm

Moussemoose Sun 15-Oct-17 17:38:00

I need to go an sniff him nowwink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now