Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to have kept out of this at work?

(11 Posts)
conflictavoider Sun 15-Oct-17 14:41:09

Name change as I don't want this linked to usual posting name or to make company too identifiable.

I work for a large company. Various offices around the country. Our business area covers 5 offices, I'm based at same one as the national head. Head is quite tricky to work for, is reactive, wants our area to be constantly getting top results which is good but also wants changes implemented asap meaning the office managers have a difficult job implementing changes and keeping up, are run off their feet etc.

We have an internal version of twitter used for employee chit chat and also for managers to send congratulatory messages, publicise events etc. The manager of the office where we're based has never used it, though other offices have and do.

So one of my colleagues last week posted a msg congratulating other staff on achievements. And tagged them, national manager and office manager. Office manager and her assistant were annoyed, and had a proper go at colleague as they will now get ticked off by national manager.

Colleague was very upset and spent rest of day in tears.

WIBU not to get involved?

Anecdoche Sun 15-Oct-17 14:46:36

why will they get ticked off?

and no yanbu to not get involved. what would you have done as involvement?

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 15-Oct-17 14:49:47

I dont understand why they were annoyed?

conflictavoider Sun 15-Oct-17 14:49:58

For not using the company twitter type thing appropriately or even at all.

I am not sure whether I should have spoken to colleague who was in tears, pr said something when office manager was having a go (it wasn't warranted - but also it's not my issue).

Neither I nor colleague are managed by this person, our manager is based at a different office.

conflictavoider Sun 15-Oct-17 14:51:21

They were annoyed because they feel they've been dropped in it, attention has been drawn to something they've not done.

DontTouchTheMoustache Sun 15-Oct-17 14:54:23

It doesn't sound like its anything to do with you tbh, they are all adults and can deal with a conflict at work.

Anecdoche Sun 15-Oct-17 14:54:27

if your colleague did something that was against the company rules and was told that it was not acceptable then that isnt something it would be appropriate for you to wade in on.

unless the manager was doing it in a threatening way or something.

crying all day because she got told she had done something that was not allowed?

that is a bit of an overreaction surely?

maybe you could have brought her a cup of tea or something but it isnt your place to jump in on a reprimand.

conflictavoider Sun 15-Oct-17 15:26:25

It's not against rules to post quite the opposite. They were just pissy because they might now be on the shot with national head.

Anecdoche Sun 15-Oct-17 16:18:05

oh well in that case they are dicks.

DaisysStew Sun 15-Oct-17 16:18:18

Ok so the manager thinks that by tagging her in a post the higher ups will realise that she has never used the company twitter when she should have been?

YANBU for not getting involved - it sounds ridiculous.

CoughLaughFart Sun 15-Oct-17 16:51:46

All you can really do is offer to back up your colleague's version of events if she decides to complain to your manager. Otherwise you are just involving yourself in someone else's row.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now