Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel that homework should be done earlier in the weekend

(33 Posts)
KatiaRose Sun 15-Oct-17 14:11:09

Ex has had the kids since after school on Friday until 1pm today. He has handed them back, and all 3 of them have homework and reading to do. Our eldest has 4 bits of homework to do!

They have done none of it with their dad. Now our plans for the afternoon have had to be cancelled because we will be spending most of it inside doing homework.

AIBU to say that homework has to be done before dropping kids back on a Sunday?

Mulch Sun 15-Oct-17 14:12:14

Does he have them every weekend? Probably an idea to agree something between yourselves, Sundays are for chilling

Mulch Sun 15-Oct-17 14:12:24

Does he have them every weekend? Probably an idea to agree something between yourselves, Sundays are for chilling

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 15-Oct-17 14:12:25

Do you know, I knew this was about Step children before I even opened the thread. I wonder why.

Pengggwn Sun 15-Oct-17 14:12:46

I think half and half is reasonable. However much homework they have to do, they should usually do some of it under your supervision, some under his.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 15-Oct-17 14:13:36

Sorry not Step children, [blushed] I meant children +NRP situation. I don't know what my head said Step children!

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 15-Oct-17 14:14:06

why! Not what!

megletthesecond Sun 15-Oct-17 14:14:54

Yanbu. It's not ok if it's always up to you.

eyebrowsonfleek Sun 15-Oct-17 14:15:18

When was the homework set? When is it due? How long will the homework assignments take?

My kids are doing homework right now. They know that if they leave it later then I won’t be able to help as I have dinner etc to sort out. (I’m a lone parent)

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 15-Oct-17 14:25:09

Depends on kids' ages. If secondary age they should manage their own homework without parents intervention. If primary age then 4 pieces to be completed over a weekend is a lot but I'd aim to do the lot on Sunday morning.

In our house all weekend homework gets done on Sunday.

KatiaRose Sun 15-Oct-17 14:37:15

It was set on Thursday and due in on Monday

KatiaRose Sun 15-Oct-17 14:37:25

They are primary age

RavingRoo Sun 15-Oct-17 14:40:12

Why can’t homework be started immediately after it’s set? My kids start all their homework same day, do it after afternoon snack at 4 until 6, then dinner, then chill out before bed. Weekends can then be enjoyed.

Eolian Sun 15-Oct-17 14:48:19

I think it's a bit of an arbitrary rule tbh. There is no particular reason why Sundays should be for chilling out any more than Saturdays. If he has them every Saturday it seems a bit unfair that Saturday should always be the homework day. My dc sometimes do theirs on Saturday, sometimes on Sunday, usually a bit on both. It depends what else we are doing that weekend.

Liadain Sun 15-Oct-17 14:52:12

There are primary schools giving weekend homework? Didn't know that.

Maybe the solution is for half the homework to be done in his, half in yours (or a bit more in his as he has them most of the weekend). He could text pictures of it on Friday and between you agree who should cover what work. There's no reason why Sunday should be any more of a chill out day than Saturday.

Eolian Sun 15-Oct-17 14:57:31

My ds' primary school doesn't give weekend homework per se. They give homework once a week in one bunch (a bit of literacy, a bit of maths etc) and it has to be in for the following week. Ds often does his at the weekend because he's less tired than he is after school.

RedSkyAtNight Sun 15-Oct-17 14:57:49

I'd say it was up to the DC when they do their homework. If you (or ex) have particular plans to go somewhere/do something that means they can't do their homework in, they should factor that in to the "when to do it" equation.

On the flip side, unless very short, 4 pieces of work set on thursday to be in on Monday is ridiculous.

(I have one DC who does homework the instant it is set, and another who leaves it later. Both ways have pros and cons)

Liadain Sun 15-Oct-17 14:59:52

Ah ok Eolian, that makes a lot more sense. I quite like that idea actually! I must look into how my school would feel about it.

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Sun 15-Oct-17 15:07:23

I ran into this with my Ex-H. If it is his contact w/e, he is responsible for ensuring it is done.

KatiaRose Sun 15-Oct-17 15:11:03

He doesn't have them ever weekend, it's every other weekend. He made a point of not only seeing them on the weekend to be "fun dad", so to me he needs to do at least some of the homework when they are with him.

Eolian Sun 15-Oct-17 15:17:52

Liadain - I don't know how other parents feel about it but it works for us. I'm a big believer in not badgering my dc to do their homework, but letting them have control over when they do it. That way they won't still be relying on my nagging to motivate them when they are doing their GCSEs! So when they say "Can I do it on Sunday, I'm tired", I just say "Yes of course, it's up to you when you do it, as long as you get it done on time". (That's the theory anyway. grin)

FairyMcHairy Sun 15-Oct-17 15:21:39

I can safely say that during my entire school life and throughout my career as a teacher, that I have always considered Sunday evenings to be dedicated homework/marking time.
Sorry.

sonjadog Sun 15-Oct-17 15:24:47

I also have only ever done homework on Sunday afternoon/evening. Friday nights are end of week/too tired, Saturdays are the day off, by Sunday, I´m starting to feel refreshed and ready to work. If homework is done in spread out through the weekend, then you never get a real break from school.

milliemolliemou Sun 15-Oct-17 15:34:37

OP - why don't you discuss it with your DC and see what they say?

If they want to get it over and done before the weekend fine. If they feel they can leave it to Sunday pm fine.

Just say you'd like to know. Explain you'd like to have fun with them when they come back, too, so perhaps their Dad could sort it out.

Then discuss it with XDP if he needs to be involved. I'd just say that sending prep with them to his means the chance it'll be lost or not done.

Leeds2 Sun 15-Oct-17 15:37:27

I would send them with the homework, and ask him to make sure that at least some of it is done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now