Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To complain about behaviour of gynaecologist

(236 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

TenForward82 Sun 15-Oct-17 11:36:26

I know I'm not BU, but I guess I just want to talk this out.

High-profile gynae at private hospital in 2014. Referred to him for chronic pain during sex. Consultation was all fine, nurse present at examination. Without saying anything he pushed his fingers into my vagina, watching my face. When I winced he smirked in a very self-satisfied way. I've never had a Dr look for a pain response ANYWHERE without telling me "let me know if it hurts". And the look on his face - it's like he enjoyed hurting me.

It's bothered me ever since. In a way I don't want him to know that he got to me, and I certainly don't want a pointless apology from him. But I worry that he may be doing worse to other patients.

I did a web search of his name and can't find any complaints - just a few "patient reviews" that sound so OTT as to be fake. I'd feel better I think if I knew others had an issue. If it's the only complaint, it would be a waste of time and he'd get the satisfaction of knowing he bothered me.

Vipers?

Ilovecoleslaw Sun 15-Oct-17 11:40:12

That's really awful, you should have complained op.
But I'm wondering why you're only thinking about complaining now 3 years later?

TenForward82 Sun 15-Oct-17 11:42:25

Because I internalised it at the time as "just one of those things women go through" at the time. But I've recently started exploring my own past trauma and it's been playing on my mind.

sayyouwill Sun 15-Oct-17 11:46:11

Is there any change you may have misread the situation? That the look on his face wasn't a smirk but maybe what he thought was a reassuring smile?
I'm only asking because if you come out and say this, it will be taken seriously and could have a massive impact on his life and livelihood, all of which he deserves if did do what you've indicated.

I would 100% report this if you are sure about what happened.

TenForward82 Sun 15-Oct-17 11:47:33

If it was "a reassuring smile", why did he not warn me that he was looking for a pain response before putting his fingers into my vagina?

sayyouwill Sun 15-Oct-17 11:51:38

Had you been before or would it have been reasonable for him to expect you to understand that it may be uncomfortable/painful?
I don't know, I wasn't there. But when I've been to the Drs before they haven't always informed me that something may be uncomfortable/painful or said they would be watching for pain responses unless they were checking for damage e.g. Sprained ankles

As I say, report it if you're sure what happened was wrong.

name1change12 Sun 15-Oct-17 11:56:06

poor you OP, tbh I don't understand why men want to become gynaecologists in the first place. Better go & hide now.

sayyouwill Sun 15-Oct-17 11:59:34

Why not? confused

AnUtterIdiot Sun 15-Oct-17 12:05:14

What? OP has said that she went to him because she was suffering chronic pain during sex. So yes, he could reasonably be expected to anticipate that she'd find his fingers in her vagina painful, and no, it is not reasonable to do that to anyone without telling them what you're going to do first.

OP, I am not sure what you can do about it so far after the event. But I had a horrible experience with a gynecologist a few years ago (wouldn't believe me when I said I could feel her cutting in to remove a cyst, insisted that the anaesthetic had worked when it hadn't and had her nurse lie across my middle to stop me moving when I asked her to stop). I am not a person to throw around the word "violated" lightly but it was genuinely frightening and I still struggle a bit with smears and examinations nearly 10 years later even though everyone since then has been very respectful and careful. So I do understand why it still bothers you and I agree that what he did was wrong.

Somewherethatsgreen Sun 15-Oct-17 12:10:44

name1change12, because obstetrics and gynaecology (one specialty FYI) is fascinating? Because it allows you work in both medicine and surgery? Because seeing babies into the world is absolutely incredible? Because they have a passion for women's health? Seriously what an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

name1change12 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:20:17

I agree somewhere but then I read the below & I can't help question.

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/former-gynaecologist-guilty-of-sex-assaults-on-patients/amp/

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3627768/Disgraced-gynaecologist-known-Butcher-delivered-Samantha-Cameron-s-youngest-daughter-Florence-NHS-chiefs-warned-risk-patients.html

www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/a-gynecologist-secretly-photographed-patients-whats-their-pain-worth/2017/01/14/35bcf156-d45e-11e6-a783-cd3fa950f2fd_story.html?utm_term=.bf9b2aa6dc17

Somewherethatsgreen Sun 15-Oct-17 12:24:53

These incidences sound horrible. I am sure you name me a career (not just medical) and I can google you a gazillion articles of people abusing not just their position but committing hideous crimes and assaulting, raping, murdering. It literally has nothing to do with pursuing a career in OBs& Gynae (or any other medical specialty). There is nothing sexual about this. I think it is an awful and very ignorant thing to imply.

Greenleaf54321 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:26:36

maybe he was happy because he had found the problem? That's what he is paid to do.

name1change12 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:28:24

Based on my own personal experiences I am perfectly entitled to my opinion though.

TenForward82 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:29:29

@sayyouwill, I have a feeling you're a bloke. Am I wrong?

Gynae could have been feeling for lumps and bumps or tightness or any of those things. It's entirely reasonable to say "I'm just going to check your vagina for X".

To be clear, I'm not going to contact the hospital saying "HE SEXUALLY ASSAULTED ME!". I'm going to say he needs to be clearer with his patients when he is expecting a pain response. Especially when he is inserting something inside them.

Unfortunately some sexual predators will be attracted to the profession. But they're not all pervs.

TenForward82 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:30:07

maybe he was happy because he had found the problem? That's what he is paid to do.

Holy shit, really?!

Greenleaf54321 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:31:48

I completely don't understand what your complaining about. He examined you during and examination, and he smiled?

TenForward82 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:32:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Somewherethatsgreen Sun 15-Oct-17 12:32:22

TenForward82, that sounds completely reasonable and useful feedback for him.

name1change12 you can hold any opinion you want, but spouting something quite that damaging and viscous online when it is factually incorrect is not ok. Thus I felt the need to call you out on it.

Somewherethatsgreen Sun 15-Oct-17 12:34:24

Ok in response to your latest post though: of course he needs to examine you. If you came in for abdominal pain, you would need an abdominal exam. And yes, that would likely hurt. However, expecting to be prewarned of this is is more than reasonable.

Danceswithwarthogs Sun 15-Oct-17 12:34:59

Did he find and treat the problem?
Could it have been a slightly self-satisfied "I know what's going on here (because I'm actually a legend in my field)" face?
Could it possibly be more of a bedside manner/ego complex issue on his part?
I'm not sure how far a complaint would go, but it might help you to resolve your feelings if you wrote to the unit to feedback your experience... would an apology help?

Greenleaf54321 Sun 15-Oct-17 12:35:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AgathaOHara Sun 15-Oct-17 12:35:18

FFS.

You were lying with your legs open on a gynae couch and were surprised when he put his fingers inside you? What else did you think he was going to do? And then he smiled? Maybe it was supposed to be reassurance or acknowledgement.

Ridiculous.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 15-Oct-17 12:36:26

If you feel it was wrong complain. We weren't there so can't really give any helpful opinion can we?

AgathaOHara Sun 15-Oct-17 12:36:38

And the person who suggested that men shouldn't be gynaecologists should be utterly ashamed of themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now