Talk

Advanced search

To secretly fill a Christmas Charity shoebox with as good as new toys?

(191 Posts)
ferriswheel Sun 15-Oct-17 01:26:25

I've filled an authentic one already. But all things considered I could do a great job of 'nearly new' version.

Or is this very bad karma?

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 15-Oct-17 01:28:33

Nothing stays in its shoebox anyway, everything goes into huge pile in sorting centres. If the toys look new they will probably be ok.

AnneGrommit Sun 15-Oct-17 01:33:16

Yabu to fill a shoebox at all, unless you're cool with children being proselytised to in exchange for toys by evangelical christians.

Ladybirdbookworm Sun 15-Oct-17 01:37:05

ANNE are you kidding ?????

ElfrideSwancourt Sun 15-Oct-17 01:40:15

No she isn’t I agree 100% with Anne

AnneGrommit Sun 15-Oct-17 01:40:22

Not in the slightest. I thought people knew. Hang on and I'll find a link.

AnneGrommit Sun 15-Oct-17 01:43:20

Here's some information:

humanistlife.org.uk/2015/10/14/why-parents-shouldnt-support-operation-christmas-child/

There are articles in the Guardian as well.

manicinsomniac Sun 15-Oct-17 01:50:35

OP hasn't said this is Operation Christmas Child or indeed any organisation that sends the boxes overseas at all. It could be a local, secular organisation.

I do one organised through a facebook group every year. People send in names and addresses of children and elderly people in financial or emotional need and the organiser sends each volunteer an address or two to make up a box for. Nothing sinister involved and no strings attached at all.

Shoebox doesn't have to equal religious brainwashing.

AnneGrommit Sun 15-Oct-17 01:53:23

Ok cool let's hope so.

But it's getting to that time of year so hopefully the link will be useful to someone.

HappenedForAReisling Sun 15-Oct-17 02:02:46

It's useful to me. I had no idea.

IamSerena Sun 15-Oct-17 02:08:37

Anne is absolutely right. It's shocking how they get away with this still

Cantseethewoods Sun 15-Oct-17 02:17:29

Re. The OP, I tend to mix it up. I do a sweep of the kids' rooms for stuff in perfect condition that is basically ignored ( plus party bag tat- last year I gathered up 14 small bouncy balls) and use those as fillers around the new stuff. Also if they get duplicates for birthdays and Christmases I save that up and use it for the Christmas shoeboxes.

How they do the boxes varies by organisation. I help sort for my company. The issue is that the boxes are so unequal that you basically have to do some reallocation. However, we don't tip them all out- we just even up ( so take some bits out of the amazing ones and add them to the substandard ones). We also quite often get given bulk stuff from suppliers with surplus/obsolete stock so we add all that in as well.

Needadvicetoleave Sun 15-Oct-17 03:52:10

To be honest I wouldn't. I've handed these boxes out (UK, secular organisation) and whilst the kids are great and love what they get, they never get anything new. I buy loads of stuff second hand for my kid but brand new, in pack stuff is a real treat for kids with very little. Especially when they're used to cast-offs and hand me downs.

Needadvicetoleave Sun 15-Oct-17 03:52:20

To be honest I wouldn't. I've handed these boxes out (UK, secular organisation) and whilst the kids are great and love what they get, they never get anything new. I buy loads of stuff second hand for my kid but brand new, in pack stuff is a real treat for kids with very little. Especially when they're used to cast-offs and hand me downs.

QuilliamCakespeare Sun 15-Oct-17 04:47:51

MyDC that's not actually true, at least for Operation Christmas Child. The boxes are kept intact but checked and bits added to them from a central pile of 'extras' if something is missing e.g. A toiletry or a game. All boxes have 'core' contents as I remember. I worked for OCC one Christmas before I realised the full extent of what they do. I still think shoeboxes are quite a neat idea, but think there are other companies doing it without the religious brainwashing element.

midgetgem2211 Sun 15-Oct-17 07:12:20

I agree - someone has been putting Operation Christmas Child posters on our official notice board at work. I have been taking them back down just as quickly, the whole thing makes me so cross.

londonrach Sun 15-Oct-17 07:14:45

I filled the box with good as new toys when i did it thought everyone did. Dont do them now as didnt like them emptying it. Yes to check no guns etc but wanted my whole box to go as it was.

Mrstrumpalot Sun 15-Oct-17 07:30:03

Midget.** I actually wrote to the HR department of the company I contract to when they promoted Operation Christmas Child and I linked a few articles.** They said they had had no idea of Occ”s hidden agenda and withdrew from promoting the scheme immediately.**

I did the same with my local Tesco Extra.** They agreed with me completely, said they hadn’t done their research and had thought “ it was just a nice thing to do”. They also withdrew.**

I know there are so many kind people who just want to do their bit for charity but please read up first so you can make an informed choice.**

Mrstrumpalot Sun 15-Oct-17 07:31:07

And have just realised I have done my whole thread in bold. hmm

smerlin Sun 15-Oct-17 07:35:53

Met police Christmas tree appeal is a good way of giving to children in need if anyone is looking for a substitute

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 15-Oct-17 07:39:01

My local social services do a thing where you buy a gift for a local child in need. They tell you age and sex.

LovelyPrep Sun 15-Oct-17 07:42:52

I had no idea about OCC. Thank you for the link Anne

Greenleaf54321 Sun 15-Oct-17 07:57:05

Nothing stays in its shoebox anyway, everything goes into huge pile in sorting centres. If the toys look new they will probably be ok.

depends on the organisation. in OCC they stay in the boxes people put them in, after a quick check through, to remove unsuitable gifts, such as condoms, etc, which always seem to be finding their way in.....

ZooeyAndFranny Sun 15-Oct-17 08:02:51

There are other collections not connected to Christian organizations. We participate through school and the boxes are distributed locally and with not Christian evangelical dimension.

Badbadtromance Sun 15-Oct-17 08:08:02

Thanks for the link I had no idea. Wow I've done boxes for years

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: