Talk

Advanced search

To think loads of people in Hollywood knew about Harvey Weinstein and dont want to admit it?

(232 Posts)
ssd Sun 15-Oct-17 00:07:50

all the shock and horror is getting on my nerves, are they really telling us this guy hit on loads of the woman there and was abusive towards them and no one talked about it?

sheesh

dinosaurkisses Sun 15-Oct-17 00:14:15

Yanbu- the fake shock and horror from all these colleagues and associates who by all means knew him well is really starting to rankle me.

In any work place I've known, you know who the office creep is, who to stay away from on a night out or who has a bit of a reputation. There's no way HW's mates, business partners and employees didn't know at least some of what he was capable of.

MadForlt Sun 15-Oct-17 00:18:20

They knew

youtu.be/KCNvREKTnQc

NewBrian Sun 15-Oct-17 00:19:36

In any work place I've known, you know who the office creep is, who to stay away from on a night out or who has a bit of a reputation. There's no way HW's mates, business partners and employees didn't know at least some of what he was capable of
This^.

CotswoldStrife Sun 15-Oct-17 00:23:55

YY to what dinosaur said.

MartinJD Sun 15-Oct-17 00:24:06

I think you are being unreasonable. After all, you do not know any of these people and have no evidence to suggest that they are not telling the truth.

Best,
MJD

HerOtherHalf Sun 15-Oct-17 00:24:28

Of course they knew. It's much bigger than that though. From the various interviews I've seen over the past week it's clear "the casting couch" is still very much endemic throughout the industry. It's sickening and whilst I hope HW gets held fully to account for his own crimes I also hope it doesn't end there, not by a long shot.

bingbongnoise Sun 15-Oct-17 00:26:31

Oh hell yeah.

Meryl Streep has gone down in my estimation. She claims all this liberal icon bollocks, and yet she called him GOD a short while back. She bleedin' knew what he was like.

Apparently, dozens of young hopefuls in Hollywood said many years ago (incl Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Gwynnie Pathrow, Leo Dicaprio etc,) that Harvey was sleazy, and was 'touching women up,' and they were shut down and told 'that's just Harvey! That is what he is like!'

And they were told their career would be finished before it started if they said anything, they probably wouldn't be believed anyway, and nothing would change for Harvey.

MunchMunch Sun 15-Oct-17 00:26:34

From what I've read it was an open secret.

Gwyneth Paltrow told Brad Pitt and he apparently warned Harvey to stay away from her. Obviously Brad went on to marry Angelina who also had an encounter with Harvey and she reckons she told other what he was like and to stay away from him.

I've asked on another thread if anyone thinks Harvey is the person Corey Feldman was alluding to abusing young boys including him and Corey Haim as part of a group of older, very influential men in the entertainment industry in Hollywood.

bingbongnoise Sun 15-Oct-17 00:27:35

I think you are being unreasonable. After all, you do not know any of these people and have no evidence to suggest that they are not telling the truth.

Eh?

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 15-Oct-17 00:29:20

He was EXTREMELY powerful. Kevin Smith said eons ago, "oh I was told Harvey was difficult but I've worked with him and ... blah blah". Not a direct quote grin

People talk. Of course they do.

craftsy Sun 15-Oct-17 00:32:47

I've asked on another thread if anyone thinks Harvey is the person Corey Feldman was alluding to abusing young boys including him and Corey Haim as part of a group of older, very influential men in the entertainment industry in Hollywood.

I think the rumour mill on that one is that it was a man who once claimed to have tiger blood.

FoxyRoxy Sun 15-Oct-17 00:33:46

Yanbu. There's no way in hell people didn't know, they just accepted it as part of the industry.

As a sidenote, I'm so glad "Martin" is back 🙄

TheRollingCrone Sun 15-Oct-17 00:36:08

Yes they ALL knew. There is a video of Courtney Love being interviewed in 2005, in which she was asked what advice she'd give to up and coming young actresses. Her answer "never accept an invitation to meet Harvey Weinstein in a hotel room".
The hypocrisy stinks. And the unusual silence of men is worse. Fucking shameful.

MartinJD Sun 15-Oct-17 00:42:20

bingbongnoise: which part of my post are you having problems understanding?

Best,
MJD

bingbongnoise Sun 15-Oct-17 00:44:16

All of it Martin...

Best,

BBN

MartinJD Sun 15-Oct-17 00:50:47

Never mind!

Best,
MJD

LouiseBrooks Sun 15-Oct-17 00:58:24

Of course a lot of people knew, or at the very least suspected, for years. It's certainly not just him either, there'll be plenty of others.

This has been going on since the film industry first took off. I once read that it was said the only female star of the 1930s who gained success without the casting couch was Bette Davis. If you didn't "co-operate" you didn't get jobs. Even worse, there's the paedophile ring referred to above, the rape of Natalie Wood by a "Hollywood legend" and various other stories which seem to have been well known. People didn't report the assaults because they thought nobody would believe their word against that of a major actor/producer etc and their career would be ruined to boot.

MunchMunch Sun 15-Oct-17 01:01:35

Craftsy Ooh, just googled - I know he's had a few sexual partners to say the least but I didn't realise his name was being associated with the Corey's!

MartinJD Sun 15-Oct-17 01:05:13

"Of course a lot of people knew,"

Citation Needed.

Best,
MJD

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 15-Oct-17 01:07:37

Citation Needed.

The lived experience of every woman ever born.

You're welcome,
MrsTP

gluteustothemaximus Sun 15-Oct-17 01:14:51

There is a video of Courtney Love being interviewed in 2005, in which she was asked what advice she'd give to up and coming young actresses. Her answer "never accept an invitation to meet Harvey Weinstein in a hotel room".

shock shock

Yes, they all knew. Dinosaur is right. Everyone knows the creeps.

paranoidpammywhammy2 Sun 15-Oct-17 01:16:31

It's called the casting couch for a reason!

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Sun 15-Oct-17 01:18:02

Of course they knew they may have not witnessed him acting inappropriately but as dinosaur said we all know who the creep is to stay away from unfortunately it isn't always easy

How disappointing Meryl Streeps statement is there is much about defending those who apparently didn't know that condemning HW actions. And as for MD, GC, BA and QT what pathetic statements and quick to defend themselves right as that is what is most important hmm

eeanne Sun 15-Oct-17 01:18:08

Totally agree. HW is horrible but the reactions strike me as falsely naive and shocked that this was happening. Think of how many actresses he tried it with, let alone all of his staff, the hotel staff, the actresses' agents, etc. Hundreds of people would have direct knowledge over the 20-30 years he's been up to this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now