Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Male equivalent to a Tomboy? Sexist that we don't have a Marygirl??

(30 Posts)
TheDogAteMyHomeworkagain Sat 14-Oct-17 23:58:09

So this evening our little neighbour told my dc she was a Tomboy, my dc adore her she's a cool kid. So they come in to question what a Tomboy was, I explained & then dd asked so what do we call Daniel & Will(not real name) who like o dress up as Elsa & have their nails painted?
I replied you call them Daniel & William, but dd persisted but you call Tomboys Tomboys what do you call boys who enjoy girls things too?
I had no answer, society is sexist. There is no such term for the male equivalent of Tomboys.. Dd was quite miffed & a bit pissed off that the girls get labelled for enjoying so called boys activites but nobody would dare label the boys for enjoying thing that society deems for girls

Greenleaf54321 Sat 14-Oct-17 23:59:44

traditionally, they were called Nanceys

SleepingStandingUp Sun 15-Oct-17 00:01:18

Girls get a label because it is cool and acceptable.
Boys don't get a label because god forbid boys thought it was ok to play with girls stuff. I mean their willies might drop off if they love Skye more than Marshall or Else more than The Hulk

CalmanOnSpeeddial Sun 15-Oct-17 00:01:54

Sissys. But it’s a derogatory term.

RaininSummer Sun 15-Oct-17 00:02:07

Your daughter sounds very clever and she is right. The only terms for those types of boys are generally abusive ones used by ignoramuses sadly.

JoanneCoften Sun 15-Oct-17 00:02:07

Was going to say Nancys, also sissies, pansies, things like that.

GertrudeBelle Sun 15-Oct-17 00:03:29

Was just coming to say "Nancy" or "Nancyboy". Or, in Yorkshire, "a right Nancy".

I suppose that is phasing out as it was also used to describe homosexual boys/men, and so is probably seen as homophobic now. No such constraints on "tomboy" though.

fc301 Sun 15-Oct-17 00:07:16

My DD was real tomboy so we were also asked this question. Tomgirl was the best we could come up with.
It’s an interesting dilemma. Tomboys are perfectly happy girls. It’s the rest of society who find them strange and unsettling. Hopefully we will all become more accepting of tomboys ... and tomgirls.

MunchMunch Sun 15-Oct-17 00:07:51

Big girls blouse
Pansy
Nancy/Nancy boy
Sissy
Girl pants (off a kids cartoon)

Greenleaf54321 Sun 15-Oct-17 00:10:39

Tomboys are perfectly happy girls. It’s the rest of society who find them strange and unsettling

who finds them strange and unsettling? I've never come across anyone who finds tomboys strange and unsettling.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 15-Oct-17 00:22:39

I heard 'fey' a lot when I was young. I always assumed it was used as a euphemism for gay.

It's the same as clothes. DD is happy to wear Han and Luke but god help a boy with Leia on clothes.

SleepingStandingUp Sun 15-Oct-17 00:27:12

I assume fey is used as in fairy as in gay

nancy75 Sun 15-Oct-17 00:29:27

Yes Nancy boy, a phrase I am not particularly keen on!

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 15-Oct-17 00:43:56

I assume fey is used as in fairy as in gay Yes but it was often used to describe behaviour, rather than the person IYSWIM.

Never a bad place for this.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Sun 15-Oct-17 00:48:48

No one finds "tomboys" unsettling. Quite the opposite. People encourage their girls to get stuck in and do whatever boys do (as it should be) and are pleased when they do.

Marcipex Sun 15-Oct-17 00:53:12

I used to hear sissy a lot, as a child, for a timid un macho boy.

I never heard pansy, until I was an adult and have always thought that meant gay.

safariboot Sun 15-Oct-17 01:12:58

In English 'sissy' or 'nancy' usually, but they're considered insults. Which I can only think is a facet of general misogyny; to say a boy acts like a girl is an insult because girls are regarded as inferior.

Japanese has Bishōnen, though it's more usually for teenage boys with androgynous looks. It's been adopted by western anime and manga fans, sometimes shortened to 'bishie', but doesn't really have general usage in English.

reflexfaith Sun 15-Oct-17 01:22:30

There is no such term for the male equivalent of Tomboys
because, as pointed out, the male 'equivalent' is not equivalent, ie the 2 situations are not symmetrical

NoLoveofMine Sun 15-Oct-17 01:31:35

Tomboy is a sexist term in itself FFS. There is no male equivalent because it's girls who are judged and derided no matter what we do.

NoLoveofMine Sun 15-Oct-17 01:32:23

There are no such things as "girl things" or "boy things". Children are children.

BertrandRussell Sun 15-Oct-17 01:36:59

Nancy or nancyboy have never been anything but insults. Let's not rewrite history here!

belleandsnowwhite Sun 15-Oct-17 01:49:28

Hate when my dd is called a tomboy. It's telling her she likes "boy things".

NoLoveofMine Sun 15-Oct-17 01:50:19

Quite belleandsnowwhite which she doesn't. She just likes what she likes.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 15-Oct-17 02:51:35

Back when Eddie Izard wasn’t an almighty plonker his quite, “they aren’t women’s clothes, they’re my clothes”.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 15-Oct-17 02:51:55

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now