Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

TO Call an ambulance in labour?

(165 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

1997r2017 Sat 14-Oct-17 21:55:23

So I’m 39 weeks today and we don’t have a car. For the past week I have had pain all down my leg, my midwife said I can take cocodamol occasionally so I did but it didn’t really help with the pain.

Today I rang the hospital explained to the midwife there, and was told to go in. So I went in and the senior/head midwife just laughed in my face saying ‘what do you want morphine?’ Obviously not, just preferably a stronger dose or codeine or anything that would help, I was very upset as that is why I called up beforehand .. she didn’t check me or anything. However this hospital isn’t my local hospital as I moved during pregnancy.

On Monday I will be going to my GP to ask to transfer, although I understand this may be late, so my question is if I call am abulance in labour will I be allowed to go to the local maternity unit.. I have had a low risk pregnancy so there is nothing to ‘plan’ about the birth and I can provide blood group info etc.

To help this make sense I have really bad anxiety battle anciety hospitals/ medical professionals and the thought of this midwife being on duty when I’m not in labour has had me crying all day etc ..

1997r2017 Sat 14-Oct-17 21:56:38

Sorry for the long post/ spelling mistakes, autocorrect seems to have edited a couple thingshmm

kaytee87 Sat 14-Oct-17 21:57:57

Why would you call an ambulance when you're in labour? I'm totally confused.

sukitea Sat 14-Oct-17 21:58:16

Sorry you're in pain, but ambulances are for life threatening emergencies, not people in labour who don't have cars. I really hate when people do that.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 14-Oct-17 21:59:05

I’m pretty sure ambulances for Labour is not a thing it’s usual to call a cab and they take you where ever you want to go

Bbbbbbbb2017 Sat 14-Oct-17 22:00:30

They won't send an ambulance unless you are literally about to give birth. Taxi

Haudyerwheesht Sat 14-Oct-17 22:00:37

Like pps have said - ambulances aren't for people in labour unless there's another reason.

PinkSnowAndStars Sat 14-Oct-17 22:00:45

Calling an ambulance in labour is TOTALLY inappropriate!! Unless there is some kind of emergency or the baby is actively coming at speed! Sort out a lift or a taxi!

NapQueen Sat 14-Oct-17 22:00:52

Ambulances are there for those in need. You are not (and even in labour wont be) in need. Get a taxi.

Ummmmgogo Sat 14-Oct-17 22:00:53

completely unreasonable get a taxi or ask a friend for a lift like everyone else

firsttimemummy24 Sat 14-Oct-17 22:00:56

Midwife told us at our antenatal class to only call an ambulance if it is an emergency I.e baby is actually coming and you are not going to get to hospital or if you are bleeding red blood or ill! It's not a taxi service, So they will take you to the closest hospital.

WitchesHatRim Sat 14-Oct-17 22:00:58

Sorry but I can't see why you need an ambulance? confused

sukitea Sat 14-Oct-17 22:01:12

Our local ambulance service has been drastically cut and there have been community awareness sessions in order to inform people what constitutes an emergency. They specifically mentioned being in labour NOT being one. I was astounded that someone would call an ambulance rather than a taxi.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Sat 14-Oct-17 22:01:41

Just get a taxi they will take you wherever you want to go.

Steeley113 Sat 14-Oct-17 22:01:46

An ambulance will not attend for a normal labour. Get a taxi.

littlemissalwaystired Sat 14-Oct-17 22:01:50

It costs the NHS a good couple of hundred pounds to take someone to hospital in an ambulance, please save this for situations where there is actually an emergency. If you don't have transport or family/friends to take you then please call a taxi.

1997r2017 Sat 14-Oct-17 22:02:00

I mean if I leave it to the stage where taxis will refuse to take me? Or does anyone know how long it will take for the transferral, I jus really don’t feel comfortable giving birth in my current hospital, but I assume if I just turn up at the local hospital they will turn me away?

Candlelight234 Sat 14-Oct-17 22:02:05

You need a taxi not an ambulance

PurpleDaisies Sat 14-Oct-17 22:02:08

I'm also confused as to why you think you need an ambulance.

1997r2017 Sat 14-Oct-17 22:02:20

IDeally the transferral will be complete before I go into labour

xyzandabc Sat 14-Oct-17 22:02:50

If you're a low risk pregnancy with nothing to plan then why are you calling an ambulance?

If your situation is serious enough to warrant an ambulance then you get taken wherever they deem best to deal with your emergency, which would probably be your nearest one, unless they are full.

How did you get to the hospital today? Taxi, friend, bus? I wouldn't recommend the bus really but no reason why you couldn't call a taxi or a friend, then they can take you wherever you want them to go.

1997r2017 Sat 14-Oct-17 22:03:08

I have no issue getting a taxi, the transport to the hospital isn’t the problem

Fairylea Sat 14-Oct-17 22:03:20

If you think the pain in your leg is something that needs urgent medical attention (ie blood clot etc) then you need to get yourself to a and e - by taxi.

You really shouldn’t call an ambulance in labour unless you are in life threatening circumstances.

Ummmmgogo Sat 14-Oct-17 22:03:20

get your dp to call the taxi. don't tell them you are in labour then there is no risk of refusing.

PurplePillowCase Sat 14-Oct-17 22:03:39

yes to taxi.
if you were to need an ambulance it would take you to the nearest appropriate hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now