Talk

Advanced search

To ask how optimistic for the future you are.

(33 Posts)
charmedrose Sat 14-Oct-17 17:55:11

Or have we even got a future, what with Trump and N Korea, Iran etc. I just hope we get through his presidency unscathed. What have we got to look forward to? Please cheer me up mumsnetters. sad

InspMorse Sat 14-Oct-17 18:03:41

I can't cheer you up! It's too depressing sad

charmedrose Sat 14-Oct-17 18:55:20

sad

BoomBoomsCousin Sat 14-Oct-17 19:09:38

We've been at worse points and come back. I think things are going to be hard for while, but it will temper the better side of us and we will see a much improved society in the medium term.

charmedrose Sat 14-Oct-17 19:47:49

Oh "boom" i hope you're right.

Kittykatmacbill Sat 14-Oct-17 19:50:57

It’s really miserable, I think we may have been in worse points but we have never had such a loose cannon (for want of a better term with his finger on the button).

StealthPolarBear Sat 14-Oct-17 19:51:20

When is his term up?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 14-Oct-17 19:52:01

Yes not very.

I think I heard Stephen Hawkin saying earth was doomed within 100 years. Not cheery.

expatinscotland Sat 14-Oct-17 19:53:36

I'm far more worried about being chucked out of the EU with no fucking trade deals.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Sat 14-Oct-17 19:54:04

Selfishly, im far more worried about the mess Brexit is creating for us. I am genuinely struggling with a bit of anxiety over what the future holds for us all.

bertsdinner Sat 14-Oct-17 20:03:16

Not very, I worry about conflict/war. I also feel the destruction of the environment/planet is unstoppable and it depresses me. I am a very pessimistic person though.

MuseumOfCurry Sat 14-Oct-17 20:04:10

Let's not forget antibiotic resistance.

Pigface1 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:22:54

I'm far more worried about (a) Brexit - I can't see how it can possibly end well!! and (b) the environment - there'll be 10 billion of us in 30 years' time and I don't see how our poor planet can support that.

scaryteacher Sat 14-Oct-17 20:34:20

I'm quite optimistic...technology has taken great leaps forward in the past 30 years, and it will again. Mankind has managed to sort out many of the problems it faced and many diseases have been eradicated. We have the ability to sort out many of the issues; and I think the will is there too.

I am ambivalent abut the Iran deal anyway; I am unsure they can be trusted long term, and Kim Jong fat one will be reined in by the Chinese eventually.

BMW6 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:36:32

Good grief what a bunch of doomsayers!
Look, I am going to be 60 in a few months. I have lived through the October Missile Crisis (nearest we have ever come to WW3), Berlin Wall going up, Berlin Wall coming down, the IRA bombing campaign throughout, Polio, Thalidomide, the Falklands, The Gulf Wars, Vietnam, Korea. I've been alive when natural disasters have wiped out hundreds.
My Mum was 7 when WW2 started and she was bombed daily for days on end. Some of her school chums and their Mums were blown to bits.
Her Mums friends lost many Fathers on the Titanic. They were stokers and kept the power going till the last minute.

Get a grip for goodness sake. Living is a dangerous occupation - it has ALWAYS been thus, the moment you are born, you are of course destined to die. As for antibiotic resistance - well , weren't we the lucky ones to have had a spell of not dying from a scratch!

BMW6 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:40:38

Brexit????? Oh FFS give me strength......On a scale of WTF it comes about 112th

BakerCandlestickmaker Sat 14-Oct-17 20:42:10

I remember being in a panic over Ronald Reagan.

Honestly Trump isn't worrying me.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:49:45

Quite BMW. The Brexit hysteria is utterly baffling.

VeniVidiWeeWee Sat 14-Oct-17 20:50:11

BMW6

Absolutely.

BMW6 Sat 14-Oct-17 20:54:20

TBH I wonder sometimes if some people think immortality is an option...........hmm

7Days Sat 14-Oct-17 21:00:23

More please BMW
Good to hear.
Yeah things seem scary and doomy. BUT all worries are totally amplified these days. Any bit of bad news or shoukd I say POSSIBLE bad news is streamed direct to our eyeballs.
Shit might happen. If it does humans will make the best of it as we always have.

scrabbler3 Sat 14-Oct-17 21:02:39

BMW6 talks sense.

iTwattedASpider Sat 14-Oct-17 21:08:50

What the hell is wrong with some people on MN at the moment ? If it's not some pervert looking for wank fodder it's another lot moaning that the end of the world is imminent. Get a bloody grip for gods sake!

80sMum Sat 14-Oct-17 21:09:01

I am quite optimistic that by the time I get too old and decrepit to drive, it won't mean that I can't still get around, as I envisage driverless cars will be a reality within the next 10 to 20 years. I like the thought of getting into a car and just telling it where I want to go!

BakerCandlestickmaker Sat 14-Oct-17 21:11:53

I also recall in post cold war void Boris Yeltsin taking over in Moscow. He was in a permanent drunken state with full access to nukes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: