Talk

Advanced search

Would you go to the Middle East in my position?

(157 Posts)
missladybird Sat 14-Oct-17 17:25:54

3 year old dd with ex who lives/works in the ME for the next couple of years. I stupidly thought it was a good idea to go and visit him early next year and now I'm having second thoughts. Flights have been paid for (by him) but no accommodation so far.

Wwyd?

MomToWedThorFriday Sat 14-Oct-17 17:26:28

Fuck no! But then I wouldn’t go in any situation, even if you paid me.

BarbaraOcumbungles Sat 14-Oct-17 17:27:26

I wouldn’t do there for any reason.

Caspiana Sat 14-Oct-17 17:27:49

Which part of the Middle East? Some parts, no way, some parts, yes.

Arcadia Sat 14-Oct-17 17:28:20

Which part of the ME? I have been to Beirut and Egypt in the past with no problems. If you are going to be around people who live/work there i always think you are safer than as a tourist. I would probably go as nowhere is 'safe' nowadays.

Karak Sat 14-Oct-17 17:29:00

What's stopping you - seeing him or it being the Middle East? It's a big place - Dubai fine, Yemen no!

MrTrebus Sat 14-Oct-17 17:29:13

Which part? That's like saying "Asia" or "Africa"

Youcanttaketheskyfromme Sat 14-Oct-17 17:29:27

I don't think I'd go to the Middle East in any position tbh.

Arcadia Sat 14-Oct-17 17:29:31

I just took my daughter to Paris for a particular event and was careful to avoid very touristy areas. So you may be safer somewhere less touristy.

Squeegle Sat 14-Oct-17 17:29:42

Where?

CalmanOnSpeeddial Sat 14-Oct-17 17:30:36

What are your reservations? Do you think he might try to keep her? Is he an expat or a Middle East local? And were you married to him?

FleagleBingoDrooperSnork Sat 14-Oct-17 17:31:13

Are you worried that your ex may try and take your daughter whilst you are there?

CalmanOnSpeeddial Sat 14-Oct-17 17:31:27

Oh, just reread, he’s not a local. Less risk that he’d try to keep her then.

Hoppinggreen Sat 14-Oct-17 17:31:38

Once you get there how confident wouid you be that you wouid be able to leave WITH your child when the holiday is up.

Arcadia Sat 14-Oct-17 17:31:53

Sorry I totally missed the fact he was your ex in the first post! I was just thinking about the safety generally but any possible abduction concerns I would say don't go!

missladybird Sat 14-Oct-17 17:32:24

Muscat, Oman.

I'm worried partly because of its neighbours and the threat of terrorism although obviously nowhere is safe these days.

Another reason is that I'm not sure i want to be in a foreign country with my ex and being part of his 'new life' - I'm an idiot for agreeing to It!

PinotAndPlaydough Sat 14-Oct-17 17:32:50

No way, I have no idea what the situation is with your ex is but the first thing that sprang to my mind was him refusing to allow your child to leave the country with you at the end of the visit (have no idea if he could when he's only living there and not a national).

Also I've just heard far to much shit in the news at the moment about British people getting into trouble in the ME over the smallest things.

Doramaybe Sat 14-Oct-17 17:33:50

OP are you concerned about...

Abduction or witholding your child from returning.

Terrorism or the way women are treated.

Having to be with ex for a certain time abroad.

Not sure what your concerns are. Thanks.

Doramaybe Sat 14-Oct-17 17:34:30

Apologies, posted before you updated OP.

Doramaybe Sat 14-Oct-17 17:36:12

I would cancel, and ask Ex to visit you and child in YOUR country.

You sound very nervous about it. Trust your instincts.

Karak Sat 14-Oct-17 17:36:32

Safety wise there is nothing to worry about in Muscat. One of the least likely places to have a terrorist attack.

Whether your happy to see your ex - whole different ball game BUT surely this is for your daughter not you. How much does she get to see him?

Karak Sat 14-Oct-17 17:36:48

*you're

FuzzyCustard Sat 14-Oct-17 17:36:50

He's your ex (for a reason). I wouldn't go a couple of miles down the road for most of my exes.

Don't do it. I can't see any good coming of it for a multitude of reasons.

missladybird Sat 14-Oct-17 17:37:42

No concerns regarding him wanting to keep her there - that would be too much hard work for him!

Just having serious doubts as to whether it's a good idea even though he keeps telling me how much safer it is than the UK.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Sat 14-Oct-17 17:37:42

Muscat is amazing and super safe. I loved it when we went. It's very hot but a great place to visit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now