Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think that nobody here has a higher car insurance premium than I do?

(64 Posts)
QueuetoaskaQ Fri 13-Oct-17 10:46:06

£2600!

Who can beat that?

No cheating by telling me about your young son's or daughters's policies.

I'm early 30s.
Drive a 1.3l Ford Ka.
Have no claims or convictions

Buuuut

I'm a relatively new driver with 0 NCD years.
I have no other drivers on my policy that might lower the risk/premium.
I live in a diabolical post code - high crime, high car thefts, high vandalism
My car is parked on a main road

I'm going to be moving soon to a gorgeous, quiet, low crime area for a new job and cannot wait to see the effect a change of postcode will have on my premium.

That, combined with my upcoming 1 year NCD, will hopefully bring it down by at least a grand, right?

The current insurance is 4 times more expensive than the car was!

I'm going to try getting a new quote based on some potential homes spotted on Rightmove and see the result. My renewal is only 4 months away - can't come quick enough!

Mandraki Fri 13-Oct-17 12:01:46

That is high! My first year of driving when I was 17/18 in 2008 was £1100 for a 1999 Corsa, I thought that was pretty bad. Hopefully it will come down when you move. Ours went down when we moved from a flat at the top of our road to a house at the bottom. It can be to do with the car as well. We’ve just swapped from a C1 with a tiny engine to a new Yaris with a bigger engine and our insurance came down. It’s all to do with who they assume drives that type of car and what kind of driving they’ll be doing.

aaaaargghhhhelpme Fri 13-Oct-17 12:05:30

Blimey. I'm sorry!

I'm a relatively new driver. First year of insurance was £800 and I thought that was bad.

Fingers crossed the move will help. But also shop around. After one year I thought my insurance would go down (no accidents and more experience) but the cheeky insurers I was with increased it. I shopped around and got it for less than half that with direct line and took great pleasure in telling churchill to sod off

helpmefast Fri 13-Oct-17 14:12:10

Mines 3k- but I've only just started driving in the U.K. And have a v8 live in an average area

sinceyouask Fri 13-Oct-17 14:12:50

Crikey, and I was appalled by DH's (£1100).

snotato Fri 13-Oct-17 14:22:58

Wow.My current policy with my oh (with my partner main policy holder) is around £900 for two transit tipper trucks and a brand new vw tiguan.

Op do you shop around?and keep going back to the other insurer saying that the other company has beaten their price and can they lower theirs?
Also I don't agree with comparison websites,if you go directly through the insurance companies their quotes are cheaper than what it stated on comparison websites I've found.

hmcAsWas Fri 13-Oct-17 14:26:18

Mine's about the same - £2,500 per month

Whilst I have a no claims bonus and have been driving for around 25 years without major event, I did manage to tot up 12 points in 4 years (9 points for speeding offences and 3 points for a tyre just below the legal tread blush) and got a short disqualification for 21 days for reaching 12 points. With a disqualification - even if it doesn't involve drink / drugs / careless driving then it still loads the premium for 5 years. I also drive a 3L car with a V6 engine which can't help. Mind you, the 3L car with the sporty engine is a bit pointless now as I drive like a pensioner with my car on cruise control set to the speed limit so that I don't go inadvertently over. I suppose the bitter medicine cured me!

I feel a bit sorry for you with your premium as you didn't 'earn' yours as such

Papafran Fri 13-Oct-17 14:27:02

Oh my god. Is that definitely the best quote? Similar age to you and bought my first car (same size engine as yours) 4 years ago. Premium was under £300. I did pass my test in 2001 though but not driven since. Some quotes were much higher but went on a price comparison site and got the best one.

notacooldad Fri 13-Oct-17 14:27:09

We were quoted £10,000 to insure DS on a Mazda Bongo.
We didn't take that offer up.
One insurance company wouldn't quite for him to be on My car!
We live in a notorious postcode area ( cash for cash!!!!)
If we lived .5 miles away the insurance would reduce by 75%

SweetChickadee Fri 13-Oct-17 14:30:24

Mine's about the same - £2,500 per month

WTF? I thought you mean annually

Jesus

steff13 Fri 13-Oct-17 14:31:43

Is that per month?!

I'm in the US, and we don't pay that for a year, for three vehicles with full coverage, and three drivers, including an 18-year-old boy.

hmcAsWas Fri 13-Oct-17 14:31:57

Sorry I did mean per year!!!! its been a long week blush blush

SweetChickadee Fri 13-Oct-17 14:34:11

... phew.... grin

thought the world had gone mad for a minute there...

RavingRoo Fri 13-Oct-17 14:36:14

My first year of driving was last year, insurance just in my name was £300 pa for everything including extras. Adding my more experienced husband actually increased the premium. When I asked a mate who works in insurance, she said new female drivers of a certain age (over 35) are often much safer drivers than any other demographic. 2,500 per month is a lot even for central London for a 1.3l engine - suggest you shop around.

karalime Fri 13-Oct-17 14:38:25

Mine wasn't quite as bad (£1500) but I get you, I live near an area which appeared in the DM as one of the worst for insurance scams. It doesn't matter what car you have or how much you shop around, if your area is dodgy there is not much you can do.

Having said that, when my renewal came around I shopped around online and was quoted £200 less for the exact same insurance from the same company! Finally in my 3rd year with no claims or points I have got my insurance <£1000

ThePinkOcelot Fri 13-Oct-17 14:38:30

Mine and my husbands is £345 per year on multi car. Absolutely appalled at some of these premiums.

QueuetoaskaQ Fri 13-Oct-17 14:38:54

Yep. I shopped around and got quotes direct through companies for several days before i finally went with this one. I took this out last Feb, so it's not anything new. But my DD instalment went out today and it reminded me how bitter I am about paying so much each month.

I really think that when it comes to my renewal in Feb (and I'll definitely be shopping around again) a 1 year NCD and a different postcode will bring it down a lot - i hope so anyway!

QueuetoaskaQ Fri 13-Oct-17 14:40:24

It would likely be much cheaper if i had another driver on the policy. My friend works in insurance and has said she's seen premiums dramatically reduce when a second driver is added on.

Unfortunately that would be a total lie for me though as no one else ever drives my car.

KizzyBear Fri 13-Oct-17 14:42:54

I have my test next week, been looking at cars and insurance quotes.
Cheapest I could find was £2,044 for a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2.
I live in a high crime area though with no drive just street parking.

bogofeternalstench Fri 13-Oct-17 14:43:27

My American husband doesn't drive over here since the last time we looked into insurance, the cheapest option (adding him onto my policy) would have cost an extra £4.5k a year. sad

VeniVidiWeeWee Fri 13-Oct-17 14:47:48

There are some advantages to being old then. £250 per year for a (18 year old) 4litre V8 supercharged Jag, (cost £4500)

agentdaisy Sat 14-Oct-17 13:53:18

That's an insane amount.

Ours is £750 a year for a VW Touran with dh having no ncd due to driving company vehicles up to now and me as a learner. The price went down by £80 by adding me as a learner which I found confusing but I guess it's all due to statistics.

Hope to God it doesn't shoot up when I eventually pass my test or it'll be a waste of time learn and I'll not be driving.

doodle01 Sat 14-Oct-17 13:55:49

17 year old learner in London postcode semi inner £1400

WhyDidIEatThat Sat 14-Oct-17 13:58:36

🙀🙀🙀 my 18 year old, one year no claims, newish (2yrs?) 1.6 polo was just quoted only nearly £900 for her 2nd year starting November 1st

apart from Hebridean islands nowhere in UK is lower in crime than us or so insurance company said - also she had a black box (although I frequently forget and borrow her car for v enthusiastic drives)

PetraDelphiki Sat 14-Oct-17 14:01:21

Insuring another person on your policy isn't a total lie ...surely you can think of occasions when your parents/best friend might drive it? Adding elderly parents may well being the cost down...they don't have to actually drive it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now