Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think it's so much harder to lose weight in autumn/winter?

(16 Posts)
SharkiraSharkira Thu 12-Oct-17 23:32:10

I need to lose weight, ideally about 3 stone.

Earlier in the year I tried meal planning, being quite strict calorie counting and using my Fitbit etc and was actually reasonably successful but sadly I didn't maintain it and have piled all the weight back on sad

I'm trying to get back into it but most of the healthy meals I was eating before, salads, stir frys etc just are not appealing when it's cold and wet outside! Most of the food that's seasonally appropriate is heavy, stodgy and calorific and if you try to make low cal versions most of the time they are just shit and unsatisfying. I just really dislike most winter veg, parsnips, swede etc and much prefer spring and summery veg but of course it's really pricey and not great for the environment out of season.

Exercise seems so much harder when it's miserable outside (although that is out of the window at the moment anyway due to a recent injury).

Aibu? Or is it just me?

TheQueenOfWands Thu 12-Oct-17 23:36:24

I agree.

When it's hot you can live off ice poles and the occasional salad.

When it's cold you need stew with dumplings and roast potatoes.

Much easier in the summer.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Thu 12-Oct-17 23:37:00

YANBU. There’s such thing as ‘salad weather’ IMO.

SharkiraSharkira Thu 12-Oct-17 23:46:19

Personally I really dislike salad at any time of year but at least I'm the summer it's less offensive. Heat pretty much kills my appetite whereas cold has the opposite affect blush my body is obviously trying to build up stores for the cold weather

HelenaDove Thu 12-Oct-17 23:51:34

I actually find it easier in the winter.

SharkiraSharkira Fri 13-Oct-17 00:02:58

Why is that Helena?

MickeyLuv Fri 13-Oct-17 00:07:13

I also find it easier in winter. Home made soups for lunch, lovely stews and casseroles packed full of yummy winter veg for tea! (Or dinner, whatever you call it).

I'm not much for salad at any time of year.

HelenaDove Fri 13-Oct-17 00:11:58

I cant stand the heat I didnt like it at a size 28 and i still dont like it at a 14 so over the summer i did eat the odd choc ice. I dont do ice cream usually. I only eat it to cool down.

I prefer things like soups too. So apart from the few days that are Christmas i find it easier in winter.

oldlaundbooth Fri 13-Oct-17 00:25:59

What veg do you actually like op?

You don't have to eat salads you know.

arousingcheer Fri 13-Oct-17 00:33:54

Soup! What WW used to call points-free soup (not sure if they still have that system) is one of the main things that helped me lose weight (that and a ton of green veg). But I will agree I crave carbs more (and am hungrier in general) as soon as it begins to get dark early so YANBU. Trying to stay full with veg, veg and more veg (just ate a big bowl of broccoli).

ReggaetonLente Fri 13-Oct-17 00:35:28

I was moaning about this today. Much harder to go to the gym after work when it's dark and rainy and cold. I just want to get home!

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 13-Oct-17 03:38:13

It's partly you. There are loads of winter suitable soups, casseroles, curries and stews that are low calorie but you prefer salads.

However it's harder to get out and exercise when it's cold, wet and dark outside most of the time.

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 13-Oct-17 03:40:24

What about minestrone type soups with beans, cabbage, onions, carrots, bit of lean bacon and tinned tomatoes?

helpmefast Fri 13-Oct-17 11:53:17

Not really- there's heaps of healthy soup/stew recipes out there

OuchBollocks Fri 13-Oct-17 11:55:51

I like chicken casseroles, bean chillis, venison sausages, thick soups with barley and lentils. Hot and satisfying. You're not unreasonable but you are wrong wink

maddiemookins16mum Fri 13-Oct-17 12:18:20

We eat more veg (but less salad) in the winter. Also more homemade soups. Plus, we have porridge for breakfast (and not toast slathered with butter).
Strangely, we drink less alcohol in the winter too. Our garden is very secluded so we'd sit outside with wine in the summer, even on a worknight sometimes.
That of course does not make up for my wintery stews with dumplings (last night), my infamous toad in the hole and DP's flippin lovely steamed jam suet pudding with custard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now