Talk

Advanced search

To not like the idea of DD using Facebook to store stuff?

(24 Posts)
choppingt Thu 12-Oct-17 19:37:11

Surely you're still giving facebook rights etc.?

DD is 15 and not particularly popular and apparently this means she can't post things on Facebook!? Her words!! When we go out etc. she won't put it on Facebook but does always say she'd love to look back on things like that as there is that time hop thing on there.

So she has set up another one that has no friends etc. and uses that to tag places and upload photos, etc. for memory sake.

AIBU tot hink this is a bad idea?

Papafran Thu 12-Oct-17 19:38:30

That's really sad- kids can be so horrible. But what's wrong with her having a private profile so that she can store memories?

Papafran Thu 12-Oct-17 19:39:50

Oh, you mean in terms of giving facebook rights to the photos etc? Well, considering the number of people across the world on facebook, I can't see the risk of her having an account, no. Just tell her to use privacy settings.

Bambamber Thu 12-Oct-17 19:43:30

I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as it all set to private etc. If you really don't like the idea of that, perhaps suggest she sets up an email account to email herself and use it like a diary, or just buy her a diary and she can keep a record on there.

And of course she can post things no matter how many friends she has! Is she worried about not getting many likes or comments? I think social media has it's place, but is quite often overrated

choppingt Thu 12-Oct-17 19:43:30

Honestly I was quite sad when I heard that. Apparently if you're not in a set group, you can't post on Facebook because people take the piss? It's a horrible world today due to social media!!

choppingt Thu 12-Oct-17 19:44:57

@Bambamber she has her whole year group on Facebook (like they all do) and if she posted pictures and days out she says she wouldn't get many likes and people would take the piss at school sad

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Thu 12-Oct-17 19:47:52

I just adjust my privacy settings to 'only me' if there are pictures/ posts I don't want to share.
I think your daughter is being incredibly sensible.
Nothing particularly special about being 'popular' and - more than that - being popular at school doesn't translate into having a successful life in adulthood. - having said that - her desire to archive pictures and memories suggests she is a thoughtful and sensitive young woman.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 12-Oct-17 19:49:34

Can she have a Facebook account with just real friends on it and change her settings so it is friends only that can view it. I would have advised against adding her whole year group to her original account but it is done now.

shhhfastasleep Thu 12-Oct-17 19:56:55

The only me option is the best way to start then open it to friends and family as she sees fit.
She can follow stuff she’s interested in and which makes her laugh (Ladbible is funny)).
Those that open themselves up to start with and then try and rein it back in are doomed to failure.

SisterMoonshine Thu 12-Oct-17 19:58:24

Facebook is quite good storage for photos etc

Scabbersley Thu 12-Oct-17 20:00:50

I think she's being really sensible. I do the same - a lot of my pics are set to only me. This is because they are mainly my dcs competing in things which would be sick making for anyone else to see. But I love to keep a record and face wishes a brilliant way to do it

Scabbersley Thu 12-Oct-17 20:01:05

Face wishes confused FACEBOOK

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Oct-17 20:02:40

Goggle pictures, iPhone storage, any number of photo sites. All better than FB.

elevenclips Thu 12-Oct-17 20:04:17

I completely disagree with using FB as photo storage. Maybe I'm a dinosaur. I would buy her an external hard drive. Or you could make photo books with her.

Facebook is utterly evil. It basically fuels passive bullying - i.e. You don't get the likes someone else would because this is the bullying method. Disgusting. Has she really got to be on FB? I'm quite sure the inventor didn't have this in mind. He wanted it as a university communication tool didn't he/a way to contact people you saw but didn't know irl. It's completely shit.

Penhacked Thu 12-Oct-17 20:12:43

Does she know you can adjust privacy settings so the default is that your photos post just to e.g. family instead of friends? I use this and then selectively share with mates.

IrregularCommentary Thu 12-Oct-17 20:15:50

Facebook is quite good storage for photos etc

Please don't fall into the trap of storing photos on Facebook. The quality is hugely hugely downgraded upon upload. You'd never be able to save them back from Facebook and print them for example.

jaimebravo Thu 12-Oct-17 20:17:37

I hate Facebook for this very reason, I don’t have it nor do i intend to get it. Your poor DD.
I would be the same in that i like to store the photos and memories so i use instagram, it is set to private and my friends and family follow. It serves purpose.
Google photos is great as well, there is an assistant that makes up little collages and albums of days out or holidays, lovely to have in the future.

BlackPepperCrab Thu 12-Oct-17 20:19:02

From a purely technical standpoint, the problem with using Facebook to store stuff is that you can't be sure of its permanence. What if Facebook shuts down for whatever reasons? What if Facebook becomes as obsolete as Myspace someday? Much safer to store it in a hard-drive and maybe have it backed up on one of the major clouds if she so pleases.

PashPash Thu 12-Oct-17 20:23:31

It isn't a great idea from a technical viewpoint, unless she has then backed up elsewhere.

I had a photo only FB account and it got hacked and closed down. I lost the lot. Fortunately I had backed it up. And agree with the pp. There's no guarantee FB will be around forever.

Darkstar4855 Thu 12-Oct-17 20:27:58

She sounds very sensible but how about a different way of keeping the memories such as a scrapbook or photobook? That would make a much nice keepsake and avoids any risk of memories/photos being lost if anything goes wrong on her facebook page.

There is also the option that others have mentioned above which is posting on her original facebook account but setting the posts to private. That way only she can see them now but she has the option of sharing them with family and/or friends at a later date if circumstances change.

jbee1979 Thu 12-Oct-17 20:31:55

I think it's great, very clever of her. I haven't posted much since I had DD because I don't want acquaintances knowing our whereabouts or knowing her wee face, but I am jealous when I see people reposting "this day 3 years ago etc". I'm more security conscious now though. If it's frivolous check-ins at the cinema etc, I'd be happy to let her fire away. I wouldn't be happy with her using it as a diary and recording thoughts and feelings. FB has changed so much in recent years, I'd be scared of a policy change or a hack that suddenly made it all visable for anyone to see. That's just my thoughts. I can't stand the airport check-ins "hey, just having a pint before 2 wks in magaluf, house is empty, Rob me!"

Ilovehamabeads Thu 12-Oct-17 20:37:09

I like to see fb photo memories pop up too, reminding me of occasions I would probably have forgotten about. She doesn't need a seperate account though, I usually set my posts/photos to 'only me' on my regular account if I want to save the memory for just my own benefit.

WhatKatyDidnt Thu 12-Oct-17 20:44:41

Please don't use FB as photo storage. It saves photos as a much lower resolution than the original files. Much better to keep on a computer, backed up to a cloud and an external hard drive.

If you want "on this day in history" type memories then you can search Windows files by date; Windows 10 even does this automatically now.

shhhfastasleep Fri 13-Oct-17 18:18:07

Dropbox?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now