Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to euthanise a senile cat?

(53 Posts)
Sneakynamechange1 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:17:58

I have an 18 year old Siamese cat who has been diagnosed with dementia. He's also deaf (doesn't react to loud noise right by him) and almost blind.
His behaviour recently has been driving me crazy. He has started pooing in random places although not that often. It's only been twice this last week. He's sick a lot. He has started climbing on counters / the table. He howls all night to the point where we have to lock him in the dining room or he would wake the whole house up. He wants to sit on you all the time - he even tries to climb on my kids when they're eating.
He seems to have anxiety he follows me around a lot.
The vet has said that he thinks euthanasia is a reasonable course of action - I raised the subject - not him.
But the thing is I'm not sure that he's actually unhappy. He still eats. He purrs when you let him sit on your lap. And my kids love him even though they find him annoying too.
So while it would definitely make my life easier is it right to get him put down? I do love him. How do you know when it's the right time?

Sneakynamechange1 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:20:03

The vet has said that he doesn't think there's anything he can do that will actually help the cat. He could do extensive tests to see if there is any physical reason but he seems to not be keen on that option. I think he is of the opinion it is too invasive.

Crispsheets Thu 12-Oct-17 19:20:30

Our 15 year had similar symptoms. Also spent hours staring at the wall in the corner.
We had her pts on the vets advice. She was miserable. So were we.

Ummmmgogo Thu 12-Oct-17 19:23:24

I don't know much about cats but I think it's the right time to pts. xxxx

nightshade Thu 12-Oct-17 19:24:16

I think it's totally reasonable and very humane however I'm sure plenty will vehemently disagree...

coldcanary Thu 12-Oct-17 19:26:57

Poor poppet sounds like he’s come to the end of the road, he doesn’t sound like he’s happy at all.
I think euthanasia in this instance would be an act of love.
flowers

OhWhatToChoose Thu 12-Oct-17 19:27:34

As a cat owner, only you know when is the right time for your cat. Even if they don’t seem unhappy if the vet says it might be time and you bought it up not them then it does sound like the kindest option.

Your cat won’t easily be able to tell you when it gets too much for them so it’s up to us as owners to make the hard choice.

Would you consider another cat after some time has passed? I’m a first time cat owner and cannot imagine the house without them, although mine are only 7

ShutUpBaz Thu 12-Oct-17 19:28:40

I have four cats and I wouldn't hesitate to put any one of them to sleep if they had dementia and the symptoms you describe. Poor kitty and poor you! YANBU

SweetChickadee Thu 12-Oct-17 19:29:57

Poor puss. 18 is really old. I can't imagine he's having much fun being blind, deaf and dotty sad

I'd think pts is a very valid option in that situation.

flowers

WineBeforeCake Thu 12-Oct-17 19:31:17

I had to do the same in very similar circumstances and age. It was terribly sad but it was the right thing to do x

haveacupoftea Thu 12-Oct-17 19:33:55

I know it hard to PTS when they are still getting some enjoyment out of life but that is the very time when you should do it. Don't let the poor old puss get to the stage where every second is a total misery. You must be cruel to be kind sad

Shootfirstaskquestionslater Thu 12-Oct-17 19:34:38

I think it would be kind thing to do for your cat. If it was one of mine I would do it now before they get any worse it's not kind to keep them going when they are ill and they will get worse. He's had a good life.

BulletFox Thu 12-Oct-17 19:34:55

Totally get what you're asking. My little one is only 13 and runt of the litter and has started going bonkers pooing on neighbour's lawns, destroying garden wooden shelving and howling at me all the time.

She got attacked by a cat recently and had a bout of the fleas and she's distressed. I'll buy feliway

strawberrypenguin Thu 12-Oct-17 19:36:35

It sounds like a valid option. If he’s crying all night he’s clearly not happy anymore. Sounds like he’s had a great life and puts may well be the last kind thing you can do for him

villainousbroodmare Thu 12-Oct-17 19:36:54

I'm a vet and I think that it is wretched when people wait until the last spark of pleasure has been extinguished in an elderly animal's life before they will contemplate the Great Snooze.

MatildaTheCat Thu 12-Oct-17 19:40:02

We are soon to be facing this with our 17 year old cat. After an amazingly healthy life she's going downhill. One day I think you will just 'know' and then you go ahead without too much soul searching.

My mum had her old boy pets last month when he suddenly went downhill. No expensive tests and horrid vet trips. The vet said it was refreshing to see such a sensible decision made and the best one. Sad but peaceful and as least distressing as possible.

Will you get the vet out? My girl hasn't been in the car for about 10 years so I'd hate to upset her on her last day.

jaseyraex Thu 12-Oct-17 19:40:51

Aww poor little soul. I think being put to sleep is a kind option in this situation. He may seem quite happy now, but waiting until they're absolutely miserable to pts isn't very nice in my opinion. I've got 6 cats and if any of them were like that I'd have them pts. Seems the right thing to do flowers

FadedRed Thu 12-Oct-17 19:42:53

Better a day too soon than a day too late, Op flowers
He's lost most of his senses except smell and touch, which, with instinct, is why he is eating and feels safe when sitting with you and being touched. The rest of the time he is in a dark, silent and rather scary place.
It always very sad to have to make that last decision with a beloved companion animal, but it's the last kindness that you can do for him.

plominoagain Thu 12-Oct-17 19:42:54

Bless him. I would probably pts too . Better a day early , than too late , and I always think that whilst awful for me , it's what I signed up for as a responsible and loving owner .

Wolfiefan Thu 12-Oct-17 19:47:01

He sounds really unhappy. Has he been checked for thyroid issues? That made my old girl howl the house down.
If he's messing in the house and throwing up all the time he isn't happy. Yes he's eating but a cat generally has to be in a really awful place to stop eating.
Poor puss. It's so hard to know when it is time sometimes. Our 19 year old went rapidly downhill. I spoke to the vet who basically said she had had enough. He mentioned "dignity". She had none. She wasn't going to get better. It was time to let her go. sad

ScipioAfricanus Thu 12-Oct-17 19:48:12

He sounds miserable. I have always had pets, currently have cats, and I wouldn't want to hear them this distressed at night. On the other hand, I'd put up with a lot of inconvenience (have had deaf dogs, dogs whose legs were going, and one of our cats repeatedly poos in random places and has done for years despite many efforts on our part) as long as the animal still seemed content and getting some joy from life. It doesn't sound like your cat is, so it's not really about your convenience, but your concern for the cat, and I think that decision sounds sensible soon.

BewareOfDragons Thu 12-Oct-17 19:49:29

I would do the gentle, kind thing and have my cat, whom I love dearly, put to sleep under those conditions. Hopefully, they would let me sit with him while he goes to sleep.

flowers

WhatsWineGotToDoWithIt Thu 12-Oct-17 20:03:41

Does anyone know how much it costs to have them put to sleep? My cat is old and dotty too like yours op. ☹️

Emillee Thu 12-Oct-17 20:05:48

As the owner of two v old cats, I always said I'd rather put a cat to sleep a week too early, than a day too late.

Go with your gut.

Crispsheets Thu 12-Oct-17 20:06:44

I paid about £65

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now