Talk

Advanced search

To find these coments horrible in this day and age

(38 Posts)
Pickledonion24 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:54:39

I don’t often look on the daily mail but today I did I came across this article. She was saying how men used to come on to her on linkden so she changed her name to mrs. When reading the comments on the article. People where saying what did she expect with a photo like that and good look getting a male to give you a job

Pickledonion24 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:55:15

Her picture no way is saying boys come and inapropatly message me

20lbsToLose Thu 12-Oct-17 15:55:48

Can you post the article? Or add screenshot?

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Oct-17 15:57:19

Comments in the Mail? Were you expecting feminist dialectic? You need to not read the Mail if you don't want to read crap written by arseholes.

Pickledonion24 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:03:03

Sorry forgot photos

ThymeLord Thu 12-Oct-17 16:05:52

It's the comment section of the Daily Mail. You are unreasonable to expect anything else.

Some people will be along to this thread shortly to say that this woman's pictures are "inappropriate". People really like the word inappropriate.

ajandjjmum Thu 12-Oct-17 16:08:35

She looks very glam. Unless that was appropriate for my professional image, I would choose a more businesslike photograph for Linkedin.

Just my opinion.

OddBoots Thu 12-Oct-17 16:09:12

It reminds me of the discussion that came from the Man Who Has It All twitter post last week www.scarymommy.com/man-who-has-it-all-sexual-assault-twitter/

20lbsToLose Thu 12-Oct-17 16:09:46

Disgusting comments. No words.

I thought a LinkedIn profile pic was suppose to be of one in business attire against a white backdrop to look professional.

ThymeLord Thu 12-Oct-17 16:13:11

I was just looking for that link OddBoots!

Gimmeareason Thu 12-Oct-17 16:14:38

I dont think its "inappropriate" but i guess theres a broader question fo be asked about why women feel they need to expose shoulders, boobage, legs where men just wear shirts and trousers. Sure i bet some men would love to have our range of dress options, but i bet a higher number if women secretly wish that short hair and modest non descript clothing were acceptable. Men just have to be clean and crisp - women have to be styled.

ThymeLord Thu 12-Oct-17 16:18:15

You answered your own question there Gimme. Women are expected to be styled, "glammed up", wear heels and make-up. We are told that we aren't 'making an effort' if we don't do these things and then told that we are 'exposing' ourselves if we do. It's almost as if we are living in a society run by men, for the benefit of men.

hiyasminitsme Thu 12-Oct-17 16:18:26

It's a stupid photo to put on a professional site. but that's no excuse.

inconspicuousrhino Thu 12-Oct-17 16:18:48

Why is she wearing an off-the-shoulder number with a coquettish pose for a Linked In profile?

Ttbb Thu 12-Oct-17 16:22:35

That picture is actually completely inappropriate for linked in. It doesn't excuse bad behaviour but if definitely explains why she was a target.

Ttbb Thu 12-Oct-17 16:24:03

*inappropraite as in not suitable not oh my god you can see her shoulder.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Oct-17 16:24:58

WOMEN:

Smile, but not too much.

Wear make up, but not too much.

Look smart, but not scary.

Don't look too powerful, oops too far the other way, now you look too feminine.

Look approachable, now you look slutty.

Turn 3/4, you don't want to look fat.

Wear heels, don't wear heels.

MEN:

Wear the same clothes you wear 90% of the time at work.

SquatBetty Thu 12-Oct-17 16:28:21

I'm surprised you're surprised by the comments, OP. This is the Daily Mail we're talking about after all. It's very well known for its misogynistic articles to get its cuntish commenters all frothing at the mouth.

cordeliavorkosigan Thu 12-Oct-17 16:35:02

MrsTerryPratchett hits the nail on the head -- great post. That's exactly it. Having to balance all of those things takes time and energy, and getting them wrong has a cost - all of which puts women at a disadvantage.

diddl Thu 12-Oct-17 16:36:17

It does look (imo) like a pic for a dating site.

But, it's not on a dating site, is it?

Aridane Thu 12-Oct-17 16:52:22

Sorry - but it's not a professional image for LinkedIn - as diddl says, more like a picture for a dating site

coddiwomple Thu 12-Oct-17 16:57:45

totally inappropriate photo to use on a "professional" website.

I would bin her CV and any male CV showing their bare shoulders on a "professional" photo. It doesn't excuse people being rude, but she is inappropriate.

Papafran Thu 12-Oct-17 16:58:46

Yeah, like putting Mrs is going to put perverts off.... Same as with men- make sure the picture is professional- her's isn't really. I would say the exact same to a man with an unbuttoned shirt striking a pose.
I would also say someone putting Mrs in their title on LinkedIn would also look unprofessional- marital status is irrelevant and you'd hardly see a man putting Mr James Smith. I would wonder why she needed to make her married status obvious on a professional networking site.

Papafran Thu 12-Oct-17 17:01:17

Some people will be along to this thread shortly to say that this woman's pictures are "inappropriate". People really like the word inappropriate

She can wear what she likes and shouldn't get abuse. However, that is not a businesslike picture and if she is actually looking for serious business opportunities, she would be doing herself a huge favour using something much more toned down and professional.

coddiwomple Thu 12-Oct-17 17:03:11

inappropriate
ADJECTIVE
Not suitable or proper in the circumstances.

Photo clearly inappropriate in a business context.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now