Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think Nigel Farage is the most damaging political figure we have had for decades?

(102 Posts)
Zadig Thu 12-Oct-17 15:32:18

This man made it his entire life's ambition to exit the UK from the EU. He has campaigned on this issue for decades and achieved his goal by becoming the "pied piper" to the disaffected and tapping into the insidious racism that lurks beneath our society. Ugly stuff.
Then, on achieving his life's ambition, what does he do? He resigns.
Yes we were all glad to see the back of him obviously, but AIBU to feel he should have been forced to head up and deal with the shit show that is Brexit, rather than running away from the train wreck he set in motion? Of all politicians, I find his hypocrisy totally staggering.

sooperdooper Thu 12-Oct-17 15:33:26

Erm yeah but a bit late to notice now

HirplesWithHaggis Thu 12-Oct-17 15:34:34

As wildly unimpressed as I am with the shower of shite who are currently supposed to be negotiating us to the sunlit hilltops of Brexit, Farage in charge would be even worse.

category12 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:36:02

Well no - David Cameron went through with the referendum. David Cameron resigned and left the rest of them to it. David Cameron.

M4Dad Thu 12-Oct-17 15:37:18

Tony Blair would be my choice.

mothertruck3r Thu 12-Oct-17 15:37:29

Nope. I would say Blair, Brown and Cameron are the reason why Brexit happened and Farage is merely the symptom.

PinkHeart5914 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:39:15

While Nigel may of wanted brexit he didn’t actually give people the option of brexit did he, David Cameron did before he fucked off so I think your find it was in fact David Cameron that run away from the train wreck.

greendale17 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:40:02

Yes I agree

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Oct-17 15:42:04

Gove.

M4Dad Thu 12-Oct-17 15:42:16

Tony Blair is responsible for millions of actual deaths and untold suffering.

Or is this just another Brexit bashing thread?

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Oct-17 15:45:58

I said Gove because for any of the other arseholes to get what they want, you have to first create a non-reading, non-critical thinking, non-education loving group of people.

If you want to fuck a country, ruin education. It's their plan.

Trueheart1 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:50:29

I don't like Farage but I think Trump is more of a threat or Kim Jong-Un or Putin.

Also I am very pleased that Brexit is happening so I have Farage to thank for that.

Zadig Thu 12-Oct-17 15:54:00

Yes I know it's a bit late now, but some days I still get incensed by the sickening hypicrisy of this man and this day is one of them.
He tapped into the unpleasant underbelly of Britain and then buggered off when it became clear he had no strategy to deal with the monster he had created. To my mind, he should not be free to walk the streets.

FreudianSlurp Thu 12-Oct-17 15:57:59

You realise that neither he nor his party were in power, don't you? Politicians being hypocrites is hardly news, but maybe vent your anger at those who made decisions rather than those who espoused their ideals.

Frege Thu 12-Oct-17 15:59:16

I think it was the combination of vile Farage plus weak and unprincipled Cameron that did for us.

MargaretTwatyer Thu 12-Oct-17 16:04:10

To my mind, he should not be free to walk the streets.

So you want those you disagree with politically jailed. And you think this is a normal acceptable way to think.

And this is why I think the most dangerous political thinking of the last 50 years has come from the left wing and their sheep who may well sleepwalk us into a totalitarian state.

MargaretTwatyer Thu 12-Oct-17 16:05:46

What you propose sounds very similar to Stalinism. Been to any nice Gulags lately?

Zadig Thu 12-Oct-17 16:06:16

Yes I do blame Cameron for calling the election. He only did it to appease UKIP sympathisers / defectors in his party though and to win votes.
I don't blame him at all for resigning after the Brexit result though. He made it absolutely clear throughout that he believed Britain was better off in the EU. So how could he push through something he didn't believe in - that would be ridiculous. In his position, I would resign as well. Anything else would be hypocritical.

LeavesinAutumn Thu 12-Oct-17 16:09:40

Def Tony Blair if he had gently eased working rights in like other countries did rather than create a bottle neck of people flooding to the UK, then if he had been open and honest and had a proper plan in place, to assimilate and create extra funding for the new comers we wouldn't have had Brexit.

I think we should have still had Brexit however, it wouldn't have got the votes it did. I dont feel its a good idea to have a second layer of dodgy government over us..but blame TB, not NF.

The funny thing is - a BBC reporter was on early am news about 4 - 5am gleefully exclaiming that NF Is the most influential politician since...reporter must have been an ecstatic leaver grin have not heard that since on the beeb.

SeaWitchly Thu 12-Oct-17 16:10:10

I think it was the combination of vile Farage plus weak and unprincipled Cameron that did for us.

^This

scaryteacher Thu 12-Oct-17 16:10:30

Some of us agree that we needed to leave the EU Zadig as we didn't like the direction of travel.

I think Blair and Brown were both immensely damaging, far more than Farage. As someone has pointed out, Farage is an MEP; he was not in power at Westminster, so he had no clout. People could have ignored him, but they didn't. Why didn't the Westminster lot tap into what Farage saw so clearly and either run with it, or head it off at the pass?

LeavesinAutumn Thu 12-Oct-17 16:11:45

And this is why I think the most dangerous political thinking of the last 50 years has come from the left wing and their sheep who may well sleepwalk us into a totalitarian state

^^ This.

AndromedaPerseus Thu 12-Oct-17 16:13:43

TB created the conditions in this country which made people vote for Brexit. DC p*ssed pretty quick when the vote didn't go his way,

lizzieoak Thu 12-Oct-17 16:14:31

Personally I'd nominate Blair and Thatcher and their minions (depending how many decades we're talking about). Farange didn't direct policy, he was just the face of what some of the population were feeling. I'm not mad about the boy, but Blair and Thatcher actually instituted terrible policies.

Fresh8008 Thu 12-Oct-17 16:16:08

confused It had very little to do with Farage. He wasn't in the official leave campaign. His party doesn't have an MP. I don't know anyone who voted leave because of Farage, most said it was in-spite of him.

Farage was just riding a wave whose time had come. He didn't create the wave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now