Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Interview outfit for job in university

(54 Posts)
Seamatron Thu 12-Oct-17 15:20:07

Am attending an interview at a university for a research job (junior) and have no idea what to wear? A suit would be overkill, right? how about black denim and smart shirt or top? A dress? what?
help

posting for traffic sorry

Japonicathehorseygirl Thu 12-Oct-17 15:22:55

Better too smart than too casual. Doesn't have to be a suit but I would not suggest demin for an interview. Dress and jacket would work

araiwa Thu 12-Oct-17 15:23:41

Denim? Fucking lol

Rubyslippers7780 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:24:25

Smart dress and jacket.
No denim.

LuchiMangsho Thu 12-Oct-17 15:25:03

No denim. Academic here btw. Skirt and top is fine. Dress is fine. Smart trousers with a blouse is fine. Suit overkill but also fine. Just no denim.

Socksey Thu 12-Oct-17 15:25:46

Suit....
I work in university, research and teaching. You will not be taken seriously if not formally dressed.... if you don't have a suit, then wear some sort of office attire.
Do not wear jeans..... of any sort.

Ttbb Thu 12-Oct-17 15:25:56

Depends on the university. Oxbridge/top Russel group/red brick a suit should be fine. Otherwise smart casual.

A1Sharon Thu 12-Oct-17 15:26:12

I really don't think you can be too smart for an interview, however casual. A suit would be fine IMO.
When I went for an interview for a 'Return to Practice' place, I was amazed at the people turning up in casual maxi dresses and flip flops, jeans and a t shirt,carrying shopping etc. It may not 'matter' but it is better to be smart, I think anyway.

Ttbb Thu 12-Oct-17 15:26:13

N.B. Denim is not smart

BlackPepperCrab Thu 12-Oct-17 15:26:38

Rule of thumb for interviews is to wear an outfit one level of formality above what is normally worn in that office. Better overdressed than under.

designatedSurvivor Thu 12-Oct-17 15:26:49

Suit.

If you don't have one then head out on a charity shop trawl / buy a nice one new.

Denim? FFS!

Seamatron Thu 12-Oct-17 15:27:03

Thanks for your posts. black denim looks more like black trousers and has been totally fine in a smart causal office even for meetings but I'll take your advice on board.

araiwa what would you recommend? thanks

Seamatron Thu 12-Oct-17 15:27:33

A suit for a job in academia? Really?

Seamatron Thu 12-Oct-17 15:28:53

"Depends on the university. Oxbridge/top Russel group/red brick a suit should be fine. Otherwise smart casual."
Imperial College London

Polarbearflavour Thu 12-Oct-17 15:30:00

I haven’t worn a suit to an interview in 10 years. For professional office roles, I wear a smart dress and cardigan.

Seamatron Thu 12-Oct-17 15:30:39

"No denim. Academic here btw. Skirt and top is fine. Dress is fine. Smart trousers with a blouse is fine. Suit overkill but also fine. Just no denim."

thats great thank you. No denim for sure i thought suit was overkill.

so a smart dress or skirt with a blazer or smart coat?

britbat23 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:33:38

A suit for a job in academia? Really?

For an interview, yes

Seamatron Thu 12-Oct-17 15:33:53

btw this images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31B4z19dGpL._SL500_.jpg is what i meant with black denim not this images.express.com/is/image/expressfashion/91_715_6802_058?cache=on&wid=361&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,1&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=1,1,5,0&defaultImage=Photo-Coming-Soon

but i take your point.

araiwa Thu 12-Oct-17 15:34:46

Id wear a suit for a job interview at mcdonalds. So i would certainly do it for academia

Seamatron Thu 12-Oct-17 15:38:40

i have to say a suit is sadly going to look shit on me. I have worn suits in the past for interviews but after dc sadly my ear shape is rather unflattering for most trousers.

it will have to be a dress and blazer. What kind of dress then?

Papafran Thu 12-Oct-17 15:38:45

Depends on the university. Oxbridge/top Russel group/red brick a suit should be fine. Otherwise smart casual

Bollocks- I work at a post-92 uni and we would definitely expect a suit or similarly smart attire just the same as what would be expected at RG uni. Just because the university isn't as highly ranked doesn't mean the dress standards are lower.

Seamatron Thu 12-Oct-17 15:39:19

Pear!

designatedSurvivor Thu 12-Oct-17 15:39:25

I'd like to adjust my "suit" to "suit or at least as formal".

That could be a skirt, blouse and cardigan. Smart skirt and shirty-blouse.

I'm old as well as being old fashioned so may be out of touch but I also hire / fire / interview / manage 200+ post grads. I don't like the trousers you've linked to. Far too informal. They're likely fine once you have the job but, as someone else said, dress up for the interview.

Papafran Thu 12-Oct-17 15:40:06

it will have to be a dress and blazer. What kind of dress then?

Plain black or grey shift dress looks smart. Try Next, M&S etc.

Seamatron Thu 12-Oct-17 15:40:22

Papafran would you expect a suit for admin as well as academic jobs? thanks what type of dress would be suitable?

clueless

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now