Talk

Advanced search

To think I was just being used like a hotel?

(15 Posts)
user0183757 Thu 12-Oct-17 14:02:52

A couple of years ago my friend moved from a vibrant interesting city near me in the UK to the west coast of the US.

I told her that I’m seriously ill and she said that she would come to visit me in the UK. I mentioned there was a vague possibility that we might be able to stay in a property my family owns in the aforementioned city. She said she would stay with me for 5 days and spend the rest of the fortnight staying with parents & friends in the city.

Nearer the time I mentioned that predictably it would not be possible to stay in my family’s property and that she would need to stay with me in my house in [boring village] near city.

AIBU to think the trip was actually intended as a holiday with hope of free accommodation in the interesting city dressed up as coming to see me because I’m sick. And to feel annoyed about it?

FetchezLaVache Thu 12-Oct-17 14:05:52

What, did she pull out as soon as the possibility of your parents' property was off the table?

MadForlt Thu 12-Oct-17 14:06:08

What makes you think that? Has she decided not to stay with you?

listsandbudgets Thu 12-Oct-17 14:15:41

I'm confused.

From what I can tell from your post

1. Your friend is coming to visit and was planning to stay with you for 5 days.
2. You offered a property in an interesting city which she could use and she said yes plesae and she'd have some friends staying with her there which you agreed to
3. The property became unavailable so she is now staying with you

I've read and reread your post and the conclusion seems to be that she's staying with you for a fortnight in boring village

listsandbudgets Thu 12-Oct-17 14:18:34

HIt post too soon. Meant to say that I'm sorry you're so unwell and I hope things will improve for you

schoolgaterebel Thu 12-Oct-17 14:25:57

Did she stay with you in boring village?

If so, then I think it was really about visiting you.

Did the cancel staying with you and end up staying elsewhere in interesting city?

If so, then I don’t think it was you she wanted to visit, but rather stay in your family’s property in the city.

schoolgaterebel Thu 12-Oct-17 14:26:21

*she

MadMags Thu 12-Oct-17 14:27:09

Have you missed out part of your post??

Appuskidu Thu 12-Oct-17 14:27:37

I don't understand what the actual problem is unless there is something missing from your post?

ParanoidBeryl Thu 12-Oct-17 14:50:15

But she is making the trip to come and see you because you are unwell.

Travis1 Thu 12-Oct-17 14:55:05

Why would you think that? Has she pulled out?

user0183757 Thu 12-Oct-17 15:27:46

Oh bollocks, I explained that really badly leaving out the critical facts!!

The critical bit is that after the family property in the city for 5 days became unavailable she then decided that instead of staying with me in [boring village] for 5 days we should just go out for dinner instead!

PP:
* *1. Your friend is coming to visit and was planning to stay with you for 5 days.

^ yes^

*2. You offered a property in an interesting city which she could use and she said yes plesae and she'd have some friends staying with her there which you agreed to*^

No, I said there^ *might*^ be a possibility of her and I staying there together for 5 days. The rest of the time she would stay elsewhere with her parents and in the city at other friends houses. ^

^*3. The property became unavailable so she is now staying with you*^*. I've read and reread your post and the conclusion seems to be that she's staying with you for a fortnight in boring village*

^ No, just doing dinner not staying with me

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 12-Oct-17 15:32:10

No, I think that being stuck with someone full time for 5 days is a nightmare. She probably thought, "oh in interesting city User and I can hang out then I can get out of her hair every day so we don't go mad". Now it's boring village you would have a house guest for 5 long days with nothing else to do.

I live miles away from everyone as well and I know this crap well!

AnneLovesGilbert Thu 12-Oct-17 16:03:11

As she knows you're so ill, maybe she doesn't want to intrude and give you hosting work for 5 days so thinks you'll both have a better time focussing on catching up over a nice meal.

I love having people over and am happy with a house full for a couple of days. 5 days is way too long though. Maybe she thinks the same if it'll just be the two of you.

MadMags Thu 12-Oct-17 19:41:37

As above, in the interesting city there'd be plenty to do.

Five days in a boring village with someone who is ill and is likely to need her rest is too much.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: