Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour downstairs smoking

(19 Posts)
Babypotion Thu 12-Oct-17 12:03:36

Am I being petty to make a complaint to the housing association?

The thing is it comes up through the gaps in my kitchen pipes as well. But I like to leave a little window in the hallway open at night because the flat gets stuffy and everyday I'm waking up to the smoke

I don't like this neighbour. She moved in a couple months ago and started making complaints about me being nosey by walking and laughing when I have friends over. She also shouted at me claiming I was throwing rubbish in her garden which come to find out it was the builders next door but she screamed at me. Everytime i see her she turns her back to me
I don't know what her problem is and I don't want to find out either

Sirzy Thu 12-Oct-17 12:07:18

She is smoking in her own home. Unless it is specifically banned in the tendency agreement then under what rule are you complaining?

kaytee87 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:08:04

You can't complain about her smoking in her own home just because you don't like her confused

kaytee87 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:09:03

And maybe you are being noisy? Do you have carpets down?

Babypotion Thu 12-Oct-17 12:09:21

Lol no I mean outside it comes through into mg window the whole summer I never had the windows open in the back because she smokes by her back door

Babypotion Thu 12-Oct-17 12:09:48

Carpets underlay rugs and slippers. There is no installation in here.

Sirzy Thu 12-Oct-17 12:12:06

You certainly can’t complain about someone smoking outside their own house

kaytee87 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:12:56

Well then she's smoking outside, you still can't complain about it I'm afraid.
You could ask her nicely not to but I doubt it would go down well.

glitterfarts Thu 12-Oct-17 13:11:45

urgh, it's vile. I'm a non-smoker, my neighbours smoke outside their front door, quite regularly, all day and evening.
It comes in my letterbox and cracks round the door - super annoying and disgusting - but I can't exactly ask them to move. They just don't realise how stinky it is.

PotteringAlong Thu 12-Oct-17 13:13:06

She's allowed to smoke by her back door...

Nandoshoes Thu 12-Oct-17 13:15:39

Tbh I know what you mean.

My BF lives in a flat his kitchen is next to the entrance, people smoke outside the entrance and it STINKS in his kitchen and bathroom.

I smoke myself not heavily but its rank it circulates within the flat.

Honestly you just have to shut the window.

Also try them plug in wax melts they are good and you can buy the melts cheap from b&m for like 89 a pack.

Sorry sad

MrTrebus Thu 12-Oct-17 13:19:29

It is gross isn't it. Ask her politely, if she says no or goes off on one again then just start being anti social in return I.e. lots more laughing and feet stamping and maybe a set of drums you could invest in? Light hearted!

ILoveMillhousesDad Thu 12-Oct-17 13:19:48

I don't like this neighbour

And there we have the crux of the matter.

The smell might be gross and that is unfortunate for you, but you would be daft to 'report' her.

MrsLupo Thu 12-Oct-17 13:46:27

Hmm, it's not just gross, though, is it? I had a downstairs neighbour who smoked heavily when one of the DCs was a baby. Her living room (it turned out) was below his bedroom, and every night her secondhand smoke would seep upstairs into his room for long hours. His door was closed once he'd gone down for the night and we had no idea this was going on until the night his bedroom was open and empty...because he'd been rushed to A&E in acute respiratory distress. (The smell would dissipate by the morning, for those wondering how we didn't know.) He was nearly 2yo by then and will now have lifelong respiratory problems.

If you or yours have any health issues, OP, I think it's definitely worth pursuing further, and if the neighbour is difficult to negotiate with I don't think it would be outlandishly unreasonable to ask the housing association if they can mediate.

LeavesinAutumn Thu 12-Oct-17 13:49:23

YES, YOU can complain, we can all complain about any prolonged behaviour that alters or affects how we live in our own homes. Her smoking is causing op to change how she lives.
not clear if its council or not but they can look at better insulation and smoke getting thru cracks etc. they may be able to approach her for social reasons re te smoking, no they cant force her to do anything...but there are things that can be done, ask op.

SeaToSki Thu 12-Oct-17 13:50:13

If you know where it is coming in, plug in a little fan and aim it at the area, it will build up the air pressure on your side and hopefully the smoke wont come in

AJPTaylor Thu 12-Oct-17 13:50:48

you are stuck im afraid.

BewareOfDragons Thu 12-Oct-17 13:51:28

No, OP doesn't like the neighbour, but it sounds like she's got good reasons for that, and said reasons all emanated from the neighbour: smoke coming into her home daily; ridiculous complaints about noise when noise exists in adjacent homes; screaming at her for something she didn't do and then clearly not apologizing for getting it so wrong; turning her back on her whenever she sees her. I wouldn't like her either.

And I would find out if there's anything at all that can be done about the smoke if she's renting, etc.

DancesWithOtters Thu 12-Oct-17 14:13:50

Can you open a different window, that is not near where she stands outside smoking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now