Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to use GP sick/fit note

(11 Posts)
aquariel Thu 12-Oct-17 11:57:48

Hi,

Just looking for some advice, since beginning of October (Sunday 1st) I've been suffering from the worst cold in history. I struggled through most of the week before admitting defeat and calling in sick on 5th.

Cough and throatiness hadn't eased much and I visited GP on 10th who has prescribed antibiotics (2 week course shock and given me a fit note till 17th. (cites condition as upper respiratory infection - which is just medical terms for a common cold as far as I'm aware!).

I started taking the antibiotics and feel I am improving however still not 100%, coughing fits do come back if I exert myself or speak for excessive amount of time (I work in a call centre - go figure how much I'd be expected to speak) (FWIW I'm currently 5 months pregnant) I think the coughing is causing some muscle pains in abdominal area and back pains which I don't think are normally associated with pregnancy and (almost surely) only a result of the coughing.

Would it be reasonable to use the fit note in it's entirety and continue to rest/drink fluids as advised, staying off and returning to work on the 18th or do you think that if I'm feeling better I should just go back in?

Parmesanity Thu 12-Oct-17 12:07:11

Please stay away from work until you're much better, especially as you're pregnant.

I know it's hard to stay off work even with a sick note (currently in same boat after pneumonia) but your GP has written you a note for a reason. Better to stay off now rather than go back too soon and relapse.

Hope you're feeling much better soon!

TillyTheTiger Thu 12-Oct-17 12:11:17

It doesn't sound like you're completely better so stay off until you are. If you go back too soon you might just get worse again and end up with two periods of absence instead of one (which under most workplace sickness policies counts against you more than one longer absence)

kaytee87 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:11:17

You have a chest infection. Doctors don't prescribe antibiotics for a cold as it's a virus and they wouldn't get rid of it anyway.

Stay off until the end of your sick note, a responsible workplace wouldn't allow you to return before you were fit anyway.

Emeraude Thu 12-Oct-17 12:16:54

I wouldn't be allowed to work if a doctor had signed me off, FWIW.

I had a cold when I was pregnant and it was the worst I remember having. I didn't realise how reliant I was on cold & flu meds until I couldn't take them. I also had a chest infection which sucked. Everything is worse when you're pregnant. Anyway, I took time off and got better because a) no one wants to deal with my lurgy and b) I had the baby to think about. Don't go in - there's no medal for it.

kaytee87 Thu 12-Oct-17 12:19:37

Also as a side note I struggled into work through terrible pregnancy sickness, low blood pressure, horrendous heartburn, debilitating back and rib pain and no sleep... then the bastards made me redundant as I was about to return to work at the end of my maternity leave.
Look after number 1 (and your baby)

MrsHathaway Thu 12-Oct-17 12:22:34

Stay off until the end of your sick note, a responsible workplace wouldn't allow you to return before you were fit anyway.

Lots of workplaces (all?) won't be insured to have you back while you're signed off.

Think of it as a stitch in time - spending time getting better quickly rather than letting yourself get worse by jumping back in too soon. Your colleagues don't want your germs either grin so you're in quarantine for the duration.

aquariel Thu 12-Oct-17 14:16:33

thanks ladies, I just feel as though I'm taking the mick as in most peoples eyes it's "just" a cold but this is the longest I've been off of work (except for holidays) and first sick/fit note in over 20yearsblush , and yes I agree Emeraude, you don't realise how much those cold n flu remedies help until you can't take them, that said I suppose if it was just a cold GP wouldn't have given antibiotics and must be something more (possibly chest infection as kaytee suggested) so just resting and hoping it passes soon

Mammyloveswine Fri 13-Oct-17 15:03:50

Don't feel bad! I hate the "martyrs" who struggle in or slag people off who are ill... I've been off for the week (suspected flu as literally been unable to get out of bed) and am only going back Monday because half-term is coming up (I teach). I'm 7 months pregnant and do feel guilty being off but haven't even been able to look after my toddler properly let alone a class of 30 children! I know if I'd gone in then I would have ended up a lot worse. Get well soon op

goose1964 Fri 13-Oct-17 15:42:27

It's not a cold, it's a chest infection because you're on antibiotics,. Things like that always seem worse when you're pregnant. There's a reason the doctor gave you that date as a back to work day

PinkDaffodil2 Fri 13-Oct-17 15:45:41

If the doctor thought it was a cold they wouldn't have prescribed antibiotics - they must think there's a decent chance of a bacterial infection (chest infection) so certainly look after yourself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now