Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To serve canapés for lunch?

(23 Posts)
RhinosDontEatOatcakes Thu 12-Oct-17 11:45:37

I've got to cater a lunch for 6 adults and assorted children. Various dietary requirements, likes/dislikes, coming up with a menu is proving tricky.

Would you think it odd to be presented with an array of canapés for lunch? Nice ones, pre-ordered from M&S, plenty of them but still, just canapés.

NYConcreteJungle Thu 12-Oct-17 11:48:01

YANBU

Waitingonasmile Thu 12-Oct-17 11:49:13

I'm not sure young children would enjoy canapés. Why not just put out a selection of nice breads, cheeses, ham, pastas and vegetable sticks. People can help themselves to what they can eat.

fucksakefay Thu 12-Oct-17 11:49:23

Add some French bread sticks and salad maybe? I love canapés

5rivers7hills Thu 12-Oct-17 11:49:30

Well canapes are yum but you'll need a lot of them!

I would probably just do a sandwich selection - ham and cheese ones on normal bread then a GF wrap ones with hummos and roasted veg, or avo and tomato or something.

Plus crisps and veg sticks and maybe a nice veggie homemade soup

SpottedGingham Thu 12-Oct-17 11:49:44

Ooh a picky lunch! grin

<joking, knowing how much that phrase infuriates a lot of people including me> wink

Sounds like a good idea to me.

kaytee87 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:50:08

I would just do a cold buffet if there's children

Crescend0 Thu 12-Oct-17 11:52:06

Yes why not? Make it into a buffet. Not sure what canapés you're thinking of, but why not serve alongside a spanish tortilla, ham or salmon, cheeses / relishes and different breads. Then kids can find something they like and adults can just help themselves.

Motoko Thu 12-Oct-17 11:59:52

Canapés are tiny, so you'd need a lot of them. I'd do a cold buffet instead.

Sausage rolls, veggie quiche, french bread, dips, veg fingers, cocktail sausages, cheese board, salad, pasta salad, potato salad, coleslaw, falafel etc.

graziemille Fri 13-Oct-17 07:21:51

Sounds lovely to me.
Just been to a lunch where they did exactly that for 3 hours. Gave everyone time to talk and mix.
Everyone really enjoyed it.

Shedmicehugh Fri 13-Oct-17 07:29:27

I'm thinking of doing similar. I have to cater for 20. M&S do a nice selection, maybe you could add a few more different selections.

BulletFox Fri 13-Oct-17 07:32:14

Sounds really nice.

PurpleDaisies Fri 13-Oct-17 07:34:00

I think you need some proper food alongside. Maybe a couple of different types of salad and some nice bread.

PinkGeraniums Fri 13-Oct-17 07:37:03

Absolutely fine smile

Just do some basic cheese and ham sandwiches for the kids, a bowl of cut grapes, a bowl of crisps and it's job done. Takes less than 5 mins.

ziggiestardust Fri 13-Oct-17 07:38:18

That sounds delicious! Can I come??

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 13-Oct-17 07:38:56

Food allergies are a nightmare with canapés, particularly gluten free and you need to order the special ones.
As a coeliac I happily have the same flavor sandwiches as everyone else on GF bread mark and Spencer's do a lovely small seeded loaf.
Why people think that GF need to be some kind of different worthy sandwich I have no idea.
Alternatively soup is often GF and nice bread regular and GF.

RippleEffects Fri 13-Oct-17 07:46:53

I'd be tempted to call it tapas rather than canapes. My favorite kind of people over meal.

I always do a big bowl of warm dough balls to ensure the DC have something plain and familiar to eat. If there are any meats and cheeses the DC make mini sandwiches. If not just eat them whole. They did once find a jar of choc spread and dipped the warm doughballs in and found their own food heaven.

hellokittymania Fri 13-Oct-17 07:50:30

I love these. I was at a conference in Spain if you years ago and that's what we had for lunch, salami, mini burgers, mini pizzas, other things that I can't remember, but it was all good.

fucksakefay Fri 13-Oct-17 09:18:28

*ripple do you make dough balls from scratch?

DaisyRaine90 Fri 13-Oct-17 10:35:34

YANBU love a picky lunch 😊

RippleEffects Fri 13-Oct-17 18:25:28

I do make my own dough balls. For events I lightly bake and freeze, then just pop them from frozen in a hot oven for about 8 mins. The pizza express ones from the supermarket are good too though, but the price adds up.

I use the same basic dough mix for pizza bases and always do too much so turn the excess into doughballs and freeze in little batches to use alongside pasta dishes.

My basic recipe is 500g strong flour, 1 sachet easy bake yeast or a teaspoon of yeast, a tablespoon of sugar, generous half teaspoon salt, a couple of sploshes oil (tablespoon or two), an egg and around 350ml water. (Sugar, salt, sugar, egg, oil all optional ingredients - if removing a liquid ingredient add more water if removing sugar prove for a bit longer).

Bung it all in a bowl really good mix and kneed, leave covered for an hour or till its needed, roll/ squish dough into a rectangle and cut into roughly even strips, roll each strip as a cylinder then roughly evenly chop up into chunks. They don't need much shaping or any time to prove, they bake in about 8 mins at 220 or if i'm freezing i take them out at 5 or 6 mins.

MatildaTheCat Fri 13-Oct-17 18:45:48

That's not a very large number of people to cater for. Depending on the dietary requirements I'd probably do a thick veggie soup or chilli with bread and salad plus pizza for the children who wouldn't eat that.

Or jacket potatoes with a couple of different fillings and some salad.

Canapes are a fiddle if you have to keep bring them in and out of the oven and people will still have likes and dislikes and they are pretty expensive.

fucksakefay Fri 13-Oct-17 20:10:48

Thanks ripple! Going to try them out this weekend, the pizza express ones are delicious but £££

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now